788 FW800 Failure

Rob Lewis

Just curious has anyone ever have their 788 FW800 connection become intermittent when connecting external drives? Im on a show where Im unsung a rented unit and the connection has begun to fail. Im having the unit swapped out but I'm curious if this has ever happened. I reinstalled Firmware 2.16

and default settings, swapped drives and cables to no avail. If I held the cable in a certain position It would read the drive, but if i let go it would show media I/O Error.

-Rob

Not on a 788, but I've had a similar experience with my 744's FireWire port. They are quite sensitive to electrostatic discharge. When that happens, they become intermittent and eventually fail entirely, and require replacement at the factory.

The other alternative is that your cable(s) are weak. But I doubt problems with multiple cables at once.

Failed pretty much all the time when I was working a show. It was a VER rental. It never posed as a big problem since redundancy between the CF card and internal SSD drive was enough. And those media drives never failed.

But yeah, as you described it. Intermittent on and off in connection with the 788T.