C300 timecode question

The Canon C300 manual is here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300?selectedName=BrochuresAndManuals

The timecode options are on pages 73-75. The manual is very vague on 30 vs. 29.97 or 24 vs. 23.98, and doesn't really show the menu display on available timecode rates. My take from page 58 ("Shutter Speed") is it lists 59.94, 29.97, and 23.98 as valid speeds. My advice would be to call Canon Tech Support at 855-246-3367 (toll-free) and ask them -- and tell them to make the manual a little more clear, if you get a chance.

I will test it on the shoot. Basically, after playing around with the camera in the last couples of days, i found out that there is a setting that enables you to switch from NTSC to PAL setting. In NTSC mode, frame rate of 23.98, 29.97 and 59.94 are available, in PAL, 24 and 30 are. But in order to make sure, i will set my 788 to Free run ( no jam to ext source ), then go to the Jam menu window and hook up the TC out of the C300 to the 788 TC input. There it should be able to analyze and tell me which framerate it is actually seeing and i will adjust from there.

Thank you

Second week shooting with the C300. On first couple of days I jammed the camera from my TS-C that was jammed from my Nomad and let it run free. The C300 drifted ahead consistently and got a note from the editor asking to remedy the situation. Slapped a SB-3 and havent heard back from edit ever since. I also noticed that the TS-C set to "auto" drifted from the Nomad & camera so make sure the fr switch is set properly.

I believe the ts-c is drifting when set to auto because it is reading the frame rate as 24 instead of 23.98 due to jitter in the nomads tc stream.

Good call. I agree, I learned to always use manual setting and avoid auto for the Denecke slates (but I prefer setting it myself, just for CYA mode). I seem to recall there is an error message displayed with the later Denecke software to warn about the jitter.

Good overall Denecke instructions here:

http://www.denecke.c...nstructions.pdf

This also has some good standard operating practices and so on. I work so often at 23.98, it's a chore to remember, "where the hell is 29.97 again?" Mode A is normal; Mode B is to set different operational modes (like length of numbers flashing, last held frame, and so on).

Charlie at Denecke is tops when it comes to troubleshooting. He's saved me on a couple of shoots where I was completely befuddled by a slate/TC issue.