Custom Bloop Slate Pouch

Toy Robot

I recently purchased a very nice bloop slate from another JWsound member. After receiving it I figured I'd just use the clip on the unit, but then realized it would fit perfectly in one of the stock Petrol pouches. The only issue was there was no hole in the Petrol Pouch for either the light or the piezoelectric speaker (this unit is capable of line level XLR out only - no piezo - or line level signal plus acoustic piezo output).

So a few holes later and I now have a custom bloop slate & matching semi-custom pouch!

P.S. For anyone interested in the actual slate, it was made custom by Cramped Attic in Vancouver. It's really a wonderful unit and is built extremely well.

The custom bloop slate:

post-3713-0-35884700-1338857781.jpg

I drilled into the Petrol pouch using a 3/4" wood spade bit and it did the trick. I was worried it was going to rip the cloth on the pouch, but the bit is in decent shape and still very sharp. Cut through the pouch like butter. I then used a match to sear the nylon on the pouch so it won't fray over time. The pouch is made up of an outer layer of black nylon, an inner layer of stiff but drill-able plastic, and then the inner layer of orange cloth that acts as the female side of velcro. Remnants below:

post-3713-0-53694900-1338857833.jpg

The slate lit up (the second hole for the piezo speaker was made using a standard 1/4" drill bit and an xacto knife to clean up the cloth that was left as the drill bit didn't cut the fabric well):

post-3713-0-83213700-1338858049.jpg

Petrol pouches have perfect built in access to the bottom of this slate for XLR connection:

post-3713-0-76624400-1338858088.jpg

Mounted on the bag:

post-3713-0-37405300-1338858113.jpg

I know not everyone will be able to do this since it is a custom slate, however it's so nice that I would definitely recommend it to anyone who might be in the market for ordering a custom bloop slate.

Mounted on a shoulder strap? Looks great!

For now I have it on the bag itself. The light is very intense so I think it will work fine. If it becomes a problem that the camera folks can't see it for some reason I will have to purchase the Petrol pouch attachments.

--Post edited to show information below--