Upgrading Firmware on TRX900LTH from 7.30H to 7.81

noeld

Here is what Zaxcom says:

WARNING: SOFTWARE UPGRADE / DOWNGRADE TRANSITION

There is a transition point between 7.30a (and lower) vs. 7.31 (and higher).

If you have 7.30 or lower in your TRX you may install 7.30a.

If you have 7.31 or higher you must not downgrate to 7.30a (or lower)

as the older software does not know how to handle the newer

power amplifier system associated with the power-roll feature.

If you upgrade OR downgrade across this 7.30a - 7.31 line you will likely

experience very low output power and will need to send your TRX to Zaxcom to

be re-calibrated.

This warning does not apply to ZFR's as they do not have the ability to transmit.

Here's the deal. If you have 7.30 or lower on your transmitter, you need to follow the 7.30x upgrade path. If you have a newer transmitter (with PowerRoll ability), with 7.31 or higher, you follow the 7.XX upgrade path. I've got 7.30F (I think) installed on my TRX900LT's at the moment. If I upgrade to 7.XX myself they will not work, as the transmitters will no longer be calibrated to the power amplifier.

The software is essentially the same, it's just split up for transmitters that have been calibrated to the new firmware, and those that havent. If I sent my own transmitters back to Zaxcom, I'd assume they'd get re-calibrated and come back with the newest 7.XX firmware.

In summary - the firmware split is for those that can't afford (time-wise) to send their transmitters back to factory.

The software has been split into two separate versions since the power roll features changed the power calibration scheme so drastically that the older transmitter software can not be upgraded reliably. There is about an 80% chance of success when upgrading from 7.30x to 7.8x.

The software has been split into two separate versions since the power roll features changed the power calibration scheme so drastically that the older transmitter software can not be upgraded reliably. There is about an 80% chance of success when upgrading from 7.30x to 7.8x.

Unless Zax do it for you, right? And re-calibrate the transmitter in the shop?

Should I send it in? I'm confused. The TX's I have are the same model and sequential numbers on serial number, but firmware is different. I'm afraid to update it without consent from Zaxcom. I don't fully trust the update process. it doesn't seem bulletproof.

one is 7.30H and the other is current today 7.81. It was past the 7.31 firmware.

I don't like this line:

If you upgrade OR downgrade across this 7.30a - 7.31 line you will likely

experience very low output power and will need to send your TRX to Zaxcom to

be re-calibrated.

The problem with the older firmware Tx is that it doesn't show variable power setting and power roll. I want to be able to access those features

Both your transmitters are up to date. No upgrade is available so far. Continue upgrading them in the same manner. If you want both transmitters on 7.81 then the one on 7.30H has to go back to Zaxcom for recalibration.

If you don't already have access to PowerRoll on your transmitters, you must have TRX900LT's, which do NOT have a variable output amp, and therefore do not have access to PowerRoll settings.

The transmitter needs a seperate power calibration setup for each power level (if it has more than one power setting).

If the unit was constructed with one power setting then the other two power settings probably have never been calibrated. You also dont know if the power-amp hardware supports multiple power settings.

If you really want adjustable power levels you would have to send it in to be calibrated which would probably cost an hours worth of labor. Note that you may not experience lower power consumption at the lower power settings on those units.

-howy

The transmitter needs a seperate power calibration setup for each power level (if it has more than one power setting).

If the unit was constructed with one power setting then the other two power settings probably have never been calibrated. You also dont know if the power-amp hardware supports multiple power settings.

If you really want adjustable power levels you would have to send it in to be calibrated which would probably cost an hours worth of labor. Note that you may not experience lower power consumption at the lower power settings on those units.

-howy

And that brings me to the question: Howy, are existing LT transmitters upgradable to LTH? I sent one to factory for such an upgrade

(because I had read in this forum that it was possible) and it was returned to me without any modification.

Thanks

And that brings me to the question: Howy, are existing LT transmitters upgradable to LTH?

You would have to contact the factory with your serial number. It depends on what hardware your unit was built with.

-howy

I think it was 7.28 ish

Weird. There's probably some stipulation that you had to go to 7.30A or something first. I'd say shoot an email to Howy or Glenn and get them to unlock that section again. I got 'invalid screen' on my 7.30C LT's, and then it vanished with 7.30F completely, because they firmware was updated to recognise the difference between the LT and the LTH. Obviously something has gone awry with yours and you should let them know. I know there is a hardware difference between some of the early LTH's and the latest ones so maybe that's it?