Adjusting to Multi-track; Pre Fade vs Post Fade / Monitoring

Mike Wally

Been experimenting with the limiter on my boom track. The neverclip is kind of cool, the white line goes against the meter bar to show it's preventing it from peaking. Everything sounds good so far.

Also, since i've set up this Mix, and the understanding of Post fade vs Pre-fade has made my mixing all that much easier. It helps having a boom operator for once as well.

Other than production sucking, this job has gone well technically. thanks for all the advice, guys.

Update:

I was clipping the input of the D-4 at times. I had the input of the tx set to -14 so I could feed the cameras enough signal so I wouldn't have to turn the gain on the camera up too high. I found that the Varicam has an adjustable line input level (just figured that out) so I set it to 0 level from +4. I sent the input trim of the D-4 to -18 and I'm in a good place on the pots with that camera. I'm keeping a better eye on the levels going into the tx and experimenting with the output limiter. I got a suggestion on the limiter from Jason at Pro Sound and am playing with the numbers today and will report back what's working.

The other camera doesn't have an adjustable line input and I had to go up to -16 to get enough (barely) level into its line level. Not so happy with that situation but I think it'll be ok.

I love that even after doing this for so long there's still much to be learned and improved on. The chance to run things by so many good pros is invaluable and inspires to keep on discovering.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to point out that if you want to take advantage of never-clip, you will prbably need to have a limiter engaged on each track, (either an input limiter or a disk limiter) This will allow anything that is clipping to be scaled down to a safe level before it makes it to the real world (a recorded track or an output) which cannot handle clipping-style signals.

Audio entering a never-clip input is allowed to be much higher than clipping all throughout the machine, but once it goes to an output or a recorded track, it HAS to clip if it has not been attenuated by either a fader or a limiter.

-howy

Hello Howy,

But considering that I'm recording pre-fader on Nomad, never-clip shouldn't work by itself then?Since I'm not adding any gain post-fader or sending the audio to another recording device