Wireless: what to buy?

Stijn

Hi guys,

I'm still quite new here, so if this question is in the wrong forum, just let me know and I'll try to move it.

I'm a sound artist and unfortunately not a trained technician. For a new project I need to work with 6 wireless transmitter / reciever packs, walking around in the city.

I've checked with the usual firm where I rent my super high end equipment, and they gave me an offer for 5 weeks rent of 6 Sennheiser SK5212-II + EK3241. I have worked with those once before and they worked beautifully. However, our budget is limited, and we were wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to buy the transmitter/recievers (especially in the long run, with doing at least 10 shows with this piece). Buying 6 of the Sennheiser ones is out of the question, that's way beyond our budget.

So here's my question: does anyone know of some wireless packs that are good, can attach to DPA 4060's and are in the price range of 500 - 750 euro per pack. and where you can use 6 of them at the same time, and are at the same time not too prone to RF interference (we will be walking around in the city, so in the midst of telefone, wifi, electrical fields and radio signals

i've heard sony made some decent ones that were in this price range, but unfortunately I don't know make and model.

If you could help me out, and suggest some brands and models I could check out, I'd be very grateful.

Kind regards

Stijn

oh, and I believe I should mention this: I'm based in Brussels, Belgium (Europe), and at the moment, we're hoping to get some European shows, so the transmitter / receivers should work on frequencies cleared for Europe

Yes, you can buy wireless in that price range from a number of manufacturers. However, they won't be as versatile or high quality as the Sennheisers you have previously worked with.

Those DPA lavs work with a wide variety of wireless transmitters but you will need the correct plug. I don't specifically know but if I remember correctly the Senny 5000 line uses the same 3 pin LEMO connector that Zaxcom uses.

Working with 6 transmitters in close proximity in an urban area and moving around the city will make it fun and challenging for you! You will need good frequency coordination.

The Sennheiser G3 series are in your price range, but I would try them before buying them. One of the main reasons for buying (or continuing to rent) high end wirelesses is their better performance when you have many of them working in close proximity to each other. The G3s are adequate when you have one or two, but I would be worried about 6 of them working together.

Personally, I'd stay with the 5212s...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

The G3's are the only ones in this price range that are worth considering. They are fantastic value for money, although inevitably not as good as the high end ones you pay far more for. 6 will work together and you can get the appropriate microdot connectors from DPA. They will not be as good at avoiding interference as the expensive ones, but depending on the distance the receivers are from the transmitters they will work fine. I would buy or rent one or two first and test them under the conditions you are working in, but I think you will be surprised how good they are for the price.

Get the app for frequency coordination, put some oscar sound tech lavs on your g3's and try as much as possible to have line of sight between tx and rx (ankle pouch for tx). Beware of the fragility of te connectors on g3's.

They maintain good value and they will have a second life for you as ifb packs when you move on to better wireless.

Good luck!

The G3's are the only ones in this price range that are worth considering. They are fantastic value for money, although inevitably not as good as the high end ones you pay far more for. 6 will work together and you can get the appropriate microdot connectors from DPA. They will not be as good at avoiding interference as the expensive ones, but depending on the distance the receivers are from the transmitters they will work fine. I would buy or rent one or two first and test them under the conditions you are working in, but I think you will be surprised how good they are for the price.

Respectfully disagree. I use the Sony UWP-V1 series wireless sets and they are very good for the money. They easily compete with the sennheiser G3's, which I have also used often. Both are quality units below the threshold of undeniably professional units (Zaxcom & Lectro).

The stock mics with the Sony units are hard to hide and I've knocked them before, but in retrospect are pretty decent considering they are stock mics. I replaced mine with red dot COS-11Ds and the units are outstanding for their price.

User Tip: For Sony UWP-V1 use in NYC - Purchase block 42/44. The 30/32 block is often sketchy in Manhattan (my experience around Empire State building and Madison Square Garden).

G3 are not too bad but if you need a good sound you absolutely need to add some good mics.

The mics they sold with the G3 are not pretty good. In France you can find some G3 plus a good mic at nearly 700 €. You may find an equivalent, and maybe a better, deal in Belgium.

Vincent