How many hats can you wear at once. CL:

Camera & Boom Pole operator needed for upcoming PG Comedy staring March 2014

Someone who is really reliable and is really good at getting the shots and also is very good ad operating a Jib Crane.

I love that the metric for many of these seem to be "really" or "very"...

No professional terms like demonstrated proficiency, proven experience..."You have to really be very good".

How many hats can you wear at once.  CL:

Camera & Boom Pole operator needed for upcoming PG Comedy staring March 2014

Someone who is really reliable and is really good at getting the shots and also is very good ad operating a Jib Crane.

They probably think that because they can wear many hats themselves (writer, producer, director, and sometimes even lead), that others should as well. They probably forget that just because you can wear many hats, doesn't mean you should; not at least if you are looking to make a quality product!

I love that the metric for many of these seem to be "really" or "very"...

No professional terms like demonstrated proficiency, proven experience..."You have to really be very good".

Along that, they use tuna subs as a way to measure how 'official' their shoot is.

Here's a good example why they should've just hired a professional sound guy to begin with:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cwg/4130577558.html

Hello, my name is Adam Hartle and we are in post production of a comedy documentary on Amendment 64- the historic vote in Colorado to legalize marijuana called "Mile High"

We're looking for someone who can repair crackly soundbites. I've tried using audacity and the problem persists, so if you think you have the ability to repair bad audio we'd love to have you on our crew. Simply respond to this post and I will email you an AIFF file with a few sample soundbites that need repaired and if you're able to clean it up, you'll get the job. In addition to monetary compensation, you will receive an IMDB credit and be invited to the premiere of the film.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• 4 weeks later...

" next time they crew up they'll think before allotting peanuts in the budget for the sound department. "

it isn't about the peanuts!

I normally use xxxx to do my sound who is fantastic. He has lots of gear including a sound devices 788T.  I normally pay xxxx $150 per day and $100 per day to his boom operator.

xxxx = someone who posts here

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even know why I keep roaming the seedy halls of CL, but anyway…

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4204456264.html

"We're looking for an AC with a nice camera package at an affordable rate next Tuesday, Nov 25th. The project is a pitch video for a feature.

In our crazy dreams, we're hoping to find an AC with a red epic for $500 for the day. Obviously, that's wishful thinking, so get back to me with what you can offer."

So, once again, here's this insidious obsession with gear, rather than skill - but, never mind that. On the one hand, they recognize that good gear costs money. But these assholes, who understand that it'd be a miracle (as it should) to get an AC with a decent camera package for $500, don't think twice about offering $200 (if we're lucky!) for a sound mixer who will, very likely, bring in more expensive gear to the shoot.

It drives me BANANAS…

From CL Omaha...

"RED Epic pkg, w Glass, Steadicam, Slider, Lights, Audio Gear. $550/day

I'm an owner operator of a nice RED Epic camera package. I'm offering myself as AC along with the use of all of the following gear for $550 per day.

I also own a grip truck, camera crane, a real dolly w track and a larger light package which is ideal for feature film production for a bit more. If you are producing a feature, I'm your guy. Contact me and we can work something out.

$550/day includes:

Me as DP or AC.

My RED Epix X package which includes:
Complete package with Side Handle, Touch LCD, WC Cage, PL & Canon mounts.
Plenty of batteries to shoot all day without power if needed.
4 Redmags with 2 readers (3x64gb, 1x 128gb)
A Pl mount RED Pro Zoom 18-85mm lens
Canon L series fast primes. (24,35,50,85,135,200) + 100 f2 & Tokina 11-16
Mattebox, filters, follow focus, client monitors, sticks, etc.

Dana Dolly slider.
Steadicam Flyer LE
Basic light kit.

A top-notch audio package which includes:
Sound Devices 552 mixer.
Tascam 680 multitrack recorder.
2 x Sennheiser 416 shotgun mics.
2 x Schoeps cmc6u/41 Hyper mics.
4 x Lectrosonics wireless lavs. (2x400 series, 2x200 series)
Misc AKS. (Boompoles, shockmounts, blimps, cables, etc."

" how one man can operate the camera and the audio bag simultaneously with any degree of skill. "

disapprove all you want, but it is done all the time, with satisfactory results, particularly for talking heads...

Sure thing. Jonathan Demme did "Stop Making Sense" all by himself. One Man Band, as it were.