Battery Eliminator for G3

Matt Martin

For a DIY approach, I'd suggest a DC:DC converter such as a Traco TEL 2-1210 instead of a regulator. While I haven't used these for low current, low voltage applications such as powering radio mic transmitters, I do have three Traco's on my cart providing various stable voltages with a high level of input to output isolation. As the outputs float relative to the input, there's a good chance that any ground related noise issues can be resolved.

I have three Sony UWP-V1 wireless mic kits, which use AA batteries. On a typical shoot, I'll go through 6-10 AA batteries a day, and I'm looking for an option, because I hate going through so many batteries. I have a set of NiMH rechargable batteries, but they take an eternity to recharge, and I can't really trust them on a busy set. I know there are better ($$) wireless systems out there, but these have served me extremely well and I don't see a reason to get rid of them - though I might be buying a couple of Lectros when the time comes to upgrade. My kit has a BDS ( with an NP-1 brick) powering a 552 and a Tascam DR680, which leaves room to power the three receivers. The Sonys have sliders which house two AA batteries. I'm not experienced in this type of adaptation, but it seems to me that I buy get a few of those sliders as spare parts and turn them into battery eliminators, with a cable going into the BDS. If any of "youse" has any suggestions or pointers, I'd be extremely grateful for your help. Cheers, BK

Yeah this is pretty much what I did when I went to a bds from my 302 having been on AA batteries. went from 14 batteries on a 2 mic job to 4. Though I will second the thing about the cheap wires on the senny units though.