Aeta Systems 4MINX

myke2241

Probably not a good sign.

You are right on the mark there Matt. But i would still like to see what they got and get a bead on their mystery pricing / availability. The deck does look good feature wise.

I started a thread " Whats SD doing these days " to point out the huge cost / feature gap the 788 vs 702 -744 has. Sadly people did not get the point and i am not so sure Jon cared all to much either. and although i really liked my 744 i think the 4minx mite suit may needs a little more. I like to explore all my options.

This device was one of my first choices, finally, I chosen the Nomad due the ultra expensive options of the AETA.

The prices in Europe are (+ VAT in my country 18%):

-4 tracks= 3400€

-6 tracks= 3600€

-8 tracks= 3800€

-Timecode= 500€

-Soundfield option= 495€

-AC Adapter= 90€

-Bag= 275€

-Battery= 90€

This device was one of my first choices, finally, I chosen the Nomad due the ultra expensive options of the AETA.

The prices in Europe are (+ VAT in my country 18%):

-4 tracks= 3400€

-6 tracks= 3600€

-8 tracks= 3800€

-Timecode= 500€

-Soundfield option= 495€

-AC Adapter= 90€

-Bag= 275€

-Battery= 90€

Very pricy! how old is this pricing?

I like the look of this machine - but the fact that it only records to one SD card makes me a bit nervous! Am I just being paranoid or is that valid....

I realise you can plug in a USB stick or EXT drive but for over the shoulder work that still doesn't seem ideal. Anyone actually using these?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 6/21/2012 at 12:02 PM, VM said:

A French colleague has bought one. He wrote a review:

http://afsi.eu/technique/test-de-l-enregistreur-4minx-de-aeta

I'm looking at secondhand recorders and would like to find more opinions on the 4Minx. Alas - reflecting the future of so much modern culture and writing - your friend's review has not been kept on the internet 6 years later.

Do you know if they have it hosted elsewhere or if they have it saved anywhere? Or could even upload it to jwsoundgroup as an attachment?

Thanks in advance.. 

I don't recommend the Aeta 4Minx in any way, I had one and I'm very lucky for sold it.

IMMO have a awful metadata, no serious surface faders, sluggiest interface I seen (Is not capable of show the TC frames), a slow mirroring (Slower than the Maxx) the ambisonic converter won't work properly, have a horrible low level tone at 1490Hz (Easily audible when work at low level). 

His favor point, the best preamplifiers I heard in a battery operated device

Best

4 hours ago, ramallo said:

... have a horrible low level tone at 1490Hz (Easily audible when work at low level). 

By low level you mean 'quiet' I take it? I work quiet all the time (atmos fx etc) and had heard of the good preamps. A sine wave (?) at 1490Hz over quiet atmos would be awful. First I'd heard of it. Hardware or software problem I wonder?

Cheers, Jez

6 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

By low level you mean 'quiet' I take it? I work quiet all the time (atmos fx etc) and had heard of the good preamps. A sine wave (?) at 1490Hz over quiet atmos would be awful. First I'd heard of it. Hardware or software problem I wonder?

Cheers, Jez

I tried two units, and both have the same noise. I heard this tone when I recorded music. At the finish of a song, when the sound of the instrument disappear the tone is noticeable.

173.jpg

What's the graph, Ramallo? An ambient recording? It looks strangely like a good old fashioned 6dB/octave LF magnetic curve but expect it isn't. And there's two almost as disturbing peaks (or actually much worse, excepting their musical position) at c. 70 and 20k Hz? What are they??

Cheers, J

On 10/12/2018 at 1:45 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

What's the graph, Ramallo? An ambient recording? It looks strangely like a good old fashioned 6dB/octave LF magnetic curve but expect it isn't. And there's two almost as disturbing peaks (or actually much worse, excepting their musical position) at c. 70 and 20k Hz? What are they??

Cheers, J

Is a fft from my Soundfield SPS200, taken from the file that I uploaded to Soundcloud. The high frequency peak is due the combination of the four channels (The fft is a 4 channel combined), and the low frequency peak from the ambience, the problem is the peak in the middle, is easilly distingable (The file was normalized for make it more notorious). The problem is hughe at low gain (0dB), with more gain is hardly to hear.

The microphone is ok, no noise in other recorders, and with the AETA I had the tone with all microphones that I tried

The 6dB oct curve is due the Nuendo (more lineal than logarithmic)(flat with white noise)

On 10/8/2018 at 12:28 PM, ramallo said:

I don't recommend the Aeta 4Minx in any way, I had one and I'm very lucky for sold it.

IMMO have a awful metadata, no serious surface faders, sluggiest interface I seen (Is not capable of show the TC frames), a slow mirroring (Slower than the Maxx) the ambisonic converter won't work properly, have a horrible low level tone at 1490Hz (Easily audible when work at low level). 

Best

Wow that peak is truly awful. It would drive me nuts. I've heard that the preamps are primo, but who cares if that peak is "built in"? Surely this is the result of some bad batch? 

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Wow that peak is truly awful. It would drive me nuts. I've heard that the preamps are primo, but who cares if that peak is "built in"? Surely this is the result of some bad batch? 

The preamps are stellar (For me the best), but this tone is very annoying (Very low level but easy to hear) (I noticed this when I record music or low sonority ambiances), I tried in two 4Minx (My unit and another newer), and both exhibit the same problem. I sent my machine to Aeta, according to Aeta was ok (IMMO maybe is a unresolved spray problem from digital side to analog)