Anyone used Lectro TX with the Wisycom RX?

James Arnold

I doubt It'd work. Though, it depends what Lectro TX you are refering to. Afs far as I remember, all digital Lectros only transmit digital audio.

The Lectro-RX however have an "analog-compatibility-mode" for e.g. Senny stuff.

From the SMV-Manual:

Digital Hybrid systems overcome channel noise in a

dramatically new way, digitally encoding the audio in the

transmitter and decoding it in the receiver, yet still sending

the encoded information via an analog FM wireless

link. This proprietary algorithm is not a digital implementation

of an analog compandor but a technique that

can be accomplished only in the digital domain, even

though the inputs and outputs are analog.

Update: I've had a deeper look into the manual. on page 9:

The transmitter will work with

200 Series, 100 Series and

IFB analog receivers, plus

some other analog wireless

receivers in addition to the

native digital hybrid mode.

So, if you receive something from Lectros digital TX with some analog RX at all, It'll be something like old POTS-Modem sounds or some Compact Cassette that is meant to be played back on a datasette.

Wisycom's MCR42 however does output AES, however the AD-converion takes place in the RX.

However, I bet, Larry (or maybe even maxpolo?) have something "more official" to say and clear us all up. Especially about caveeats on your suggested setup.

So, what it mingt end up is, you can choose, between very interesing TX-remote-feature prorietary digitalsystems from Lectro and Zaxcom or some analog system with the (at this time) best specs (in European perspective) for an RX bag/Camera-slotin unit (MCR42) and some analog TX of your choice. One of the biggest advantages of the MCR42 is its wide sprectrum range. To use this however, it'd be quite helpful to have some TX at the same range. Wisycom has promised so, but is yet overdue to come out with one.

I understand Wisycoms MCR42 to have a DSP capable of running emulation of various manufacturers companding and processing. I read the information quoted as saying Lectros processing is complex enough to only be sensibly achievable in the digital realm, nothing more than that. I guess whether the MCR42 can "decode" Lectro TXs would be dependent on Lectrosonics making the relavent information available to Wisycom.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I push this thread up again, in hope Larry or maxpolo have to say something.

To be precise:

Does the 2nd quotation above include MCR42? And if the answer is yes, with what caveats? What influence does the "analog mode" have on latency, operating range, HF frequency range, artifacts etc? Is a compander system used? Squech?

Will this be the same or different at all with the WM transmitter?

regards

• 5 weeks later...

I doubt It'd work. Though, it depends what Lectro TX you are refering to. Afs far as I remember, all digital Lectros only transmit digital audio.

The Lectro-RX however have an "analog-compatibility-mode" for e.g. Senny stuff.

From the SMV-Manual:

So, if you receive something from Lectros digital TX with some analog RX at all, It'll be something like old POTS-Modem sounds or some Compact Cassette that is meant to be played back on a datasette.

Wisycom's MCR42 however does output AES, however the AD-converion takes place in the RX.

However, I bet, Larry (or maybe even maxpolo?) have something "more official" to say and clear us all up. Especially about caveeats on your suggested setup.

So, what it mingt end up is, you can choose, between very interesing TX-remote-feature prorietary digitalsystems from Lectro and Zaxcom or some analog system with the (at this time) best specs (in European perspective) for an RX bag/Camera-slotin unit (MCR42) and some analog TX of your choice. One of the biggest advantages of the MCR42 is its wide sprectrum range. To use this however, it'd be quite helpful to have some TX at the same range. Wisycom has promised so, but is yet overdue to come out with one.

Well MTP40 bodypack transmitter it is available already delivered on the market with 230 MHz bandwidth, phase cancelling of intermodulation, multicompanding and 48V powering for shotgun ;) also available an economic version or the MCR42 in the bodypack form factor... We already delivered those to many big customers in Europe although the official launch is for IBC in september.

By the way MCR42 is also FCC approved now ;)

" So, if you receive something from Lectros digital TX with some analog RX at all, It'll be something like old POTS-Modem sounds or some Compact Cassette that is meant to be played back on a datasette.. "

?? huh ??

:wacko:

Perhaps this is referring to POTS frequency shifting systems, including 2-band systems --requiring two POTS lines for one signal) that maximized audio bandwidth over POTS lines in analog. Well that is if you listen to a digital hybrid signal on a non-digital hybrid RX...

You cannot actually hear, a digital signal on an analog RX, it is just like "noise"..

I doubt It'd work. Though, it depends what Lectro TX you are refering to.

The Lectro-RX has an "analog-compatibility-mode" for e.g. Senny stuff.

From the SMV-Manual:

Our Digital Hybrid Wireless systems make it possible to run in "native hybrid mode" i.e. no compandor in the audio path, but they can also emulate our own earlier analog systems, such as the 100 Series and the 200 Series. There are also two additional modes to match with other manufacturer's units: Mode 3 matches Sennheiser's HiDyn+ (3000 and 5000 Series units) and Mode 6 matches Shure's (outdated) UHF compandor (not UHF-R). Mode 5 matches our IFB companding scheme.

All of these features are not available worldwide, however - but the US models contain all modes.

So, one way to do what the OP is after is to set our transmitter to Mode 3, and set the Wisycom receiver to match Sennheiser's HiDyn+.

Maxpolo,

thank you for your reply. Good to know, MTP40 matches MCR42s bandwidth now. Even better that they do 48V phantom.

karlw,

thank you for clearing this up. So in fact, it is possible!?! Are there any drawbacks regarding mode 3, (e.g. audible sound quality, power consumption, remotability with tones, loss in operating range)?

I presume battery level indication won't show on Wisycom's RX.

Senator,

I was refering to the Plain Old Telephony Network and

(and receives). Analog in this case only refers to the transmitting phone line, designed to describe the changing sound pressure of a voice level analog to changing voltages.

The information transmitted with these modems still remains binary and what you hear is therefore a digital (countable) signal.

(however our ears and brains alone can't make much sense of it, therefore, yes it is noise, but not as in pink or white noise or a signals SNR. I'd describe it as rattling and squeaking.).

You cannot actually hear, a digital signal on an analog RX, it is just like "noise".]

What else does a person hear, receiving a radio transmission of morse-code?

BTW, have you ever played modem karaoke? You dial with a modem to a phone, and "beatbox" into the phone trying to prevent the modem from hanging up for as long as possible. Great fun!

karlw,

thank you for clearing this up. So in fact, it is possible!?! Are there any drawbacks regarding mode 3, (e.g. audible sound quality, power consumption, remotability with tones, loss in operating range)?

I presume battery level indication won't show on Wisycom's RX.

The sound quality would be a very close match to a Sennheiser system, since both the transmitter and receiver are emulating the HiDyn Plus scheme. Range should not be affected as long as you are hitting the transmitter with enough audio level. Power consumption would be the same for both the transmitter & receiver as with any other operating mode. The transmitter would still respond to RM remote commands. You are correct that the transmitter battery level indicator in the receiver would NOT work.

" The information transmitted with these modems still remains binary and what you hear is therefore a digital (countable) signal. "

er...

yes, and no

modem = modulator/demodulator

the modems change the digital information into audio information --capable of passing through the limited audio bandwidth of a POTS--

which represents the digital (binary) information.

" The information transmitted with these modems still remains binary and what you hear is therefore a digital (countable) signal... What else does a person hear, receiving a radio transmission of morse-code?"

yes, and no.. once again...

POTS modems are multi-tone modulation (audio)... and Morse code (over radios) is an unmodulated carrier being switched on an off and thus has no sound, but the carrier detection does cover the basic radio noise floor (static) and a special oscillator circuit "BFO" beats with the carrier to provide an audible tone from the speaker...

Trying to listen to digital signals transmitted, without the proper circuitry, one only hears a rise in the noise floor.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
22 hours ago, johngooch said:

Bump on this subject-- who out there is pairing Lectro TXs with Wisycom Res?

thx

Worked on the MM400C,  simply because I was lazy to swap around the receivers, and seemed to be ok from my ears.  I set a UH400a for Wisycom as well. but haven't had real world shoot yet. 

• 9 months later...