looking at a T powered mic internally converted to phantom - any pitfalls?

RJBerto

are there any pitfalls to buying a T powered mic that's been internally converted to run on phantom power?

The price is real nice...

To change from T to Phantom power they had to change both the capsule and circuit board as neither are compatible so apart from the external looks you will be getting an as new (electronically) microphone and if the price is right well worth doing. I did this with a 416..

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Well, looks like I missed out on the mic. It was a 415 going for around $275. But the question remains... A friend of mine picked up a 416T that had been internally converted to P48 and I borrowed it for a gig yesterday It worked perfectly and sounded great. I think he paid around $500 for it.

Malcolm, as you said you have to change the circuit board and capsule, is there any reason that internally converted mic would have sub-standard or non-OEM parts put in it, say as a cost saving measure or in an attempt to counterfeit the mic?

Anyone know what it would cost to convert a 416t to p48?

To do the convertion you would need 4 resistors, 3 condensers and one diode, if you do it cleverly they might fit in the mic

- I would make an external converter cable

Matti

Matti!

Your statement above is not quite correct.

You have to change the capsule and the circuit board to do the change over.

There are plenty of of T to phantom converters on the market usually in a metal xlr barrel. Canford Audio part No. 20-750 is one in question. It's a tad expensive but of course cheaper than the mod. (I don't know of one that is done with just a cable).

Been there got the tee shirt etc.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Well, looks like I missed out on the mic. It was a 415 going for around $275. But the question remains... A friend of mine picked up a 416T that had been internally converted to P48 and I borrowed it for a gig yesterday It worked perfectly and sounded great. I think he paid around $500 for it.

Malcolm, as you said you have to change the circuit board and capsule, is there any reason that internally converted mic would have sub-standard or non-OEM parts put in it, say as a cost saving measure or in an attempt to counterfeit the mic?

Anyone know what it would cost to convert a 416t to p48?

If you change the board and capsule the only ones that are available are the genuine Sennheiser ones so non OEM parts don't come into the equation.

I had the 416 changed by Sennheiser UK and it was about 400 UK pounds. 2-406's were slightly less.

I could of course not bothered with the conversion and just switched the powering on my mixer but somehow I personally think that the phantom power one sound slightly better.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Yes I was referring to those barrel converters by many manufacturers, the parts can fit in a xlr. And in the mic body if you are clever.

My guess is those modified mics on the used markets are done like that. If you change the innards of a 416 you get a new mic with

worn body and misleading markings, heh, btw if they sell the electronics and capsule assemply to you, you can put it in in couple of minutes without any tools other than a screw driver

Matti