Adobe Audition?

bmfsnd

Hi everyone,

I was approached with a dialogue editing gig, but they are strictly Adobe CS workflow.

As a Pro Tools guy, would I run into any learning curves while using Audition? Just in case, could it still accept omf outputs from Final Cut?

Thanks

Matt

Audition works more or less like any other current DAW, more so since CS5.5. To make it work on both Mac and PC, they rewrote most of it, they tell me. On the plus side I find it way more intuitive to edit in than PT, even PT 10. On the minus side I have yet to find a group of people using it for long form work on real jobs (but LOTS of folks doing shorter-duration projects for the web, games etc.). It opened OMFs from FCP 7 just fine. One issue w/ AA for me is that it's tough to get a lot of tracks and a lot of mixer faders on screen at the same time--they just don't shrink down all that far (VS PT etc). I've been seriously testing AA for a few months now, since I did some work for Adobe and was very impressed by their people and their grasp of what's going on in video post right now.

phil p

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to continue to work in Pro Tools as long as you can get an OMF. I've always used pro tools and I've dealt with Final Cut, Premier, and AVID. Never had a problem dealing with any of them. Since I know pro tools really well, I've never really liked any other DAW, but that's because I'm used to working a certain way, and I can do things way faster in PT than I can in other DAW's because I know the ins and outs.

Premiere>OMF>ProTools is becoming more common these days, but it doesn't hasn't been quite as wrung out as AVID>OMF>ProTools or FCP>OMF>Protools yet. I'd ask in the nicest possible way if the editors have done an OMF export to PT before, and what their methodology is, just to avoid extra work and delays, if you can.

phil p

I was approached with a dialogue editing gig, but they are strictly Adobe CS workflow.

Stupid question: can you convince them not to use Audition? If you already own Pro Tools, maybe that would make the most sense. I think Audition is useful for certain things, but I wouldn't recommend it for film/TV projects. If nothing else, the plug-ins available for Pro Tools are a lot more extensive.

I think round-tripping things in and out of Pro Tools is not that difficult, particularly if you're handing them whole segments, either mixed or as stems. This is a case where a very experienced post supervisor needs to be involved to keep them on the right track, especially on the road to a final edit and mix.

On the other hand: the client is always right, and if they have a good reason to stay in CS6 (beyond "this is all we've got"), then you may have no choice but to give them what they ask for and get the check. (At least it's better than Soundtrack Pro...)

There's nothing wrong with Audition for long-form film TV projects that I can see, and a few advantages over other DAWs. But I don't see why the OP couldn't use any DAW that will import an OMF properly--that was sort of the point of OMF. If there are issues they are almost always on the picture-edit system side of things, anymore.

phil p

I've been really impressed by audition cs6, I'm told by the adobe rep they haven't implemented all the features they wanted to since the rewrite, but they're working on it. I have been seriously considering moving towards an adobe cs6 workflow since i got the master suite last month (i used to use it mainly for graphic and web design). Have had no problems importing OMF's, I used it to rescue the sound on an ad couple of weeks ago (i didn't record it, btw :P). Ill start experimenting with longer form projects on it at some point in the future, would be interested to hear if anyone else has done longer form projects on AA CS6, see how it handles the increased amount of data.

Have used adobe cs6 for a feature film and it worked fine. You just have to have a work flow and know the system.

Please tell us more==I hadn't found anyone on the AA forum who had done a long form project in CS6. One concern I have is how it handles change notes, and how the mixing is when a lot of tracks are up.

thanks

phil p

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Ideally, all the concepts carry over. I just need to figure out where all the buttons are.

I asked again if i could stick with a platform Im used to, but no dice. Ill be editing in-house so no need to buy software.

This is a 37 minute short with 3-4 tracks so I think I'll be ok.

Maybe download the free trial version Audition CS6. I can't recall which features are disabled, but that and poking around some online tutorials/manuals/etc should help you hit the ground running.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition

I was pleasantly surprised at how a whole lot of AA 6 worked pretty much the way I thought it should. I don't think you'll have a problem. Let us know how it goes--what works and what doesn't for you compared to PT. One interesting aspect of AA is that it seems set up for you to both edit and mix in the multitrack window, ie without dealing with the mixer page much, if you want to. This may be a legacy of the old AA (5.5 had no mixer automation), it also might be a nod to how a lot of game and web soundies I've met work on the short-duration projects they do by the hundreds.

thanks

phil p