Needing help with the Neumann kmr 81i switches

weaveofkev

There are two verticle cutouts in the body. Inside each one is a white sliding piece of plastic with a small horizontal groove. Unbend a paper clip and use the straight end to move the groove up for off and down for on. You might need a magnifeing glass to see the groove.

Eric

• 6 years later...

I am currently working with a KMR82i. I can only get the slide switches to work after I remove the 3 screws and pull the guts out. Because this is the case I only want to open it once. Can anyone tell me what the "Off" position is on both slide switches? I am using this on acoustic instruments and do not need those functions. Thanks to all in advance.

This posts an interesting question, for wind problems besides foam/blimp/cat hair. What is your preference for roll off?  In the mic analog roll off - preamp digital roll off or preamp analog roll off. I know my preference. Preamp analog roll off (usually most control and less phase problems).

Perhaps this should be a separate topic? Feel free to move it moderator.

I have the operating instructions in PDF and it does not mention what is on and off. Just the ability to make the switch. The mic has been purchased used and will not move with a paper clip or a jewelers wrench. No indications that is has been dropped it looks in very fine shape. We are under the assumption that down is off. This is a very fine mike to use on acoustic instruments. We are actually looking for another used one. It turns out that pulling the guts out is not that big of deal. And I used a paring knife to make the switch. We were able to inspect everything to make sure no old foam had fell inside. I feel this board is full of enormous intelligence that is why I came here. Those switches are a bitch to say the least

since nobody seems to know for sure here's my guess:

from the picture in the operating manual here

http://www.aits.it/uploads/multimedia/1397004119-8201-neumann-kmr82i.pdf

it looks to me that the filters are enabled in the down position. unfortunately you probably still have to compare to be 100% sure, or if dismantling it a pain, probably beast to call or write neumann to be sure.

bests

chris

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

since nobody seems to know for sure here's my guess:

from the picture in the operating manual here

http://www.aits.it/uploads/multimedia/1397004119-8201-neumann-kmr82i.pdf

it looks to me that the filters are enabled in the down position. unfortunately you probably still have to compare to be 100% sure, or if dismantling it a pain, probably beast to call or write neumann to be sure.

Why? If you cannot determine by listening to the different positions, why would you even need them? Just leave them as they are

2 hours ago, Bob Schuck said:

The two switches on the KMR82 are off when pushed down toward the XLR end and on when pushed up.  I've had one for decades and it sounds as good today as when I bought it.

Thank you Bob !

A few years back we used a 81i on a Harp. It sounded amazing. But for some reason the 81's sell for a lot more on the used market (they are 100 less brand new) So we were able to get the 82i for a great price. It has not disappointed either.

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

Why? If you cannot determine by listening to the different positions, why would you even need them? Just leave them as they are

well, I might be wrong as things get easily muddled on the interned, but from what I understood the original question came up because the switches are stuck and the mic needs to be dismantled to fix it and since he didn't want to take it apart multiple times he asked which side is off.

Bob's answer has cleared this up. personally I'd also think just trying things would be easier, but maybe the dismantling is a pain, and frankly questioning other peoples motives without knowing the full picture doesn't seem very useful in general (not that I would ever be guilty of such a thing)...

chris