Sennheiser mkh 8000 series solutions from Rycote

Vincent R.

A video about it popped up on YouTube yesterday, didn't saw mentioned here on the board yet:

As far as I can tell from the video you can use for example a 8060 on the suspension with a connbox and have the XLR module all the way "down" in the bag. Can anyone confirm this or correct me? The Rycote website doesn't give me much on this. If it works like I imagine then the 8060 is getting even smaller!

I've used the Connbox in the past with other mics, and it is indeed a nice solution to help increase isolation. I haven't used it with my existing MKH8000 mics, haven't really felt the need to make the mics any shorter than they are I guess, but when I do puchase the MZD digital module, I'm going to look into getting a custom version that would allow me to remote the module down to the pistol grip, perhaps using the Connbox as the core. This way I can easily swap the digital module amongst several mics without having to dig into a zeppelin to reconfigure or even quickly go back to analog connection when digital module not needed.

Yeah, just did the math; it makes the mic a bit less than an inch smaller. Not that much, but I believe small enough to go a rycote windshield system smaller then normally needed.

Interesting config, the idea you have with the AES module. Hopefully one day digital mixers/recorders like the nomad or a 788 will provide software to adjust the mic within their systems... It's all software zeros and ones, I presume..

Hey,

With this connbox connector you also lose the xlr length as well as the adapter so my 8060 now fits into a windshield size 1 (rycote recommend a size 3 with the original configuration...)

I've also adapted the new Tacit low-cut cable so that the electronics are in the male xlr in the grip. It now makes the hypersensitive 8060 much easier on the boom op.

Simon

Hey Vincent,

The hardware low-cut built into the xlr is 18db/octave with 60hz knee, so it cuts out much of the low, low end but doesn't affect speech frequencies noticeably. I found the 8060 to sound excellent but very sensitive low down. This low cut really helps with boom handling noise.... Before I would get crazy rumbling just moving grip on the pole...now it is much improved. Still tho, I find I need the 8060 in the basket indoors to stop the 'whoosh' as the mic is moved through the air chasing dialogue.

We must remember that the mic is primarily designed to be a studio mic so is extremely sensitive. I still use the low cut on my 788t to tailor the tone of what I need to record.

Simon

I thought they had a version of this built into a blimp over a year ago? He mentioned using the baby ball gag, so I'm not sure.

Has anyone tried this mic with the baby ball gag? is it good enough to use outside or do you need a full blimp? I would assume full wind protection....

Thanks Simon, I think I'm gonna order one with my 8060.

About the baby ball gag; I think the "reach" of the ball is not enough to cover all of the 8060.

I do consider buying one of these: http://www.rycote.com/products/miniscreen/

I think this will act as a baby ball gag. Maybe even a bit better since there is foam inside. That combined with a windscreen over it.

Ok, I read this stuff on TrewAudio. It looks like the blimp works with that suspension+connbox

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Rycote-Mono-Extended-Ball-Gag-Windshield.html

The link to the full article isn't working, but it's probably still on their site somewhere.

My experience with the miniscreen has not been positive. It provides minimal protection from wind and fast moves could be an issue too.

good to know. I wondered if the full protection would be small enough to use indoors on jobs where there is a lot of boom swinging. I mostly use an 8040 for interviews and scripted projects. Less unpredictable booming in those cases.

Not sure in comparison, since I haven't used one, but I would assume so. I have the impression this was a product for the DSLR crowd who were less discerning about performance. I was a bit disappointed about the purchase, if anyone wants to buy one...

Not sure in comparison, since I haven't used one, but I would assume so. I have the impression this was a product for the DSLR crowd who were less discerning about performance. I was a bit disappointed about the purchase, if anyone wants to buy one...

Hmzz, that's a bit of missed chance... I do like the idea of a bigger BABY ball gag for smaller shotguns like the 8060.

Vincent,

Sure you may know already but in case - Neumann makes a pretty cool product called the DMI-2. They have one in a portable version. http://www.neumann.c...d_dmi-2portable Has Word Clock. 2 x AES 42 inputs, DC powered by a 4 pin hirose...

Neat thing is it comes with this software called Solution-D. It allows you to pre-program digital microphones with various settings - low cut, gain, pick up pattern (if the mic has that option). You can "adjust on the fly" to those setting through the DMI-2.

If you're local to Los Angeles and want to come by to see a demo, let me know. It's really cool stuff. Best of all, it supports both modes 1 & 2 of digital microphones.

As of now, the Nomad doesn't support Mode 2, so a microphone like the Sennheiser MZD 8000 will not work... yet. While the modes of digital mics have become standardized, the manufactures haven't standardized the modes in their recorders :(

But yes, I totally agree with you, it would be amazing to see Sound Devices and Zaxcom step into this world with a future update... without the need of a third-party piece of equipment.

The MZD8000 will not work AT ALL with Nomad/788T? Or just not in mode 2?

Vincent,

Sure you may know already but in case - Neumann makes a pretty cool product called the DMI-2. They have one in a portable version. http://www.neumann.c...d_dmi-2portable Has Word Clock. 2 x AES 42 inputs, DC powered by a 4 pin hirose...

Neat thing is it comes with this software called Solution-D. It allows you to pre-program digital microphones with various settings - low cut, gain, pick up pattern (if the mic has that option). You can "adjust on the fly" to those setting through the DMI-2.

If you're local to Los Angeles and want to come by to see a demo, let me know. It's really cool stuff. Best of all, it supports both modes 1 & 2 of digital microphones.

As of now, the Nomad doesn't support Mode 2, so a microphone like the Sennheiser MZD 8000 will not work... yet. While the modes of digital mics have become standardized, the manufactures haven't standardized the modes in their recorders :(

But yes, I totally agree with you, it would be amazing to see Sound Devices and Zaxcom step into this world with a future update... without the need of a third-party piece of equipment.

Thanks, yes, I know Neumann's solution. Pretty neat. Though, might be a bit too much for bag-work.

Sometimes I wish that the Nomads and 700 series of this world where open source or app based like android or iOS devices, and therefore, we can program a piece of software ourself :)

Oh and I'm based in Rotterdam the Netherlands by the way. Thanks for the invite, when I'm in the neighborhood I'll drop by :)

If you utilize the MZD 8000 and attach it to the MKH 8060 to make it a digital microphone, it will not work with the Nomad currently. The MZD 8000 is the digital attachment for the 8000 series microphones.

It will work with the Sound Devices 788T. Though their website says it doesn't support Mode 2... maybe it's info they haven't update yet. I probably should be a nice dealer and relay the info to them.

http://www.sounddevi...upport-in-788t/

Thanks for that. I assume they mean that they don't support Mode 2 in that the 788T doesn't send wordclock or control signals to the mic, but it can receive the Mode 2 output signal.

So am I right in thinking that the MZD8000 is Mode 2 only, the 788T partially supports Mode 2 and that the Nomad currently only supports Mode 1?