Good mic for small locations

shiner

Hello

I would recommend to try the neumann KM185 Hypercardoid, i had the mod done by Neumann which eliminated any RF Problems unless a cell phone is inches away from microphone and the mod also reduces the signal to noise by a further 2db..I have tried both the HMBO and the Octavia and i found the Neuman to be miles better tho a more expensive, tho i do recommend the HMBO Remote capsule system for an ecconomic system for Car Interiors etc,

Hope this is of some help

Richard Paterson

When you say small, did you mean low cielings?  For that the Schoeps GVG  "elbow" comes in very handy.  I believe that AKG and Neumann have similar attachments.

Philip Perkins

I mainly shoot in locations such as hotels, apartments, houses etc,  but need as rich a sound as possible and also to be able to boom the mic fairly often. I'm no sound expert but how would the "elbow" for the Schoeps help out ?

Thanks Tim

Hi All, could you please suggest to me a good dialogue mic for use in small to medium sized room locations. Would like a rich/warm sounding mic. At present using a ME66 but not too happy with the results. Thanks in advance for any advice

Not too happy with self noise or the pattern or what? If the bit of electret noise isn't a huge issue for your application you may want to consider other ME caps. Everyone seems to mention the 66, but there are others in the ME system which may solve your problems for much less than investing in a higher level mic. If you already have a K6 (or similar) module it might be worth checking out...maybe a ME64?

EB

No, quite happy with the mic's recording specs it's just that i want a richer sound that i think some of the more expensive mics capture. Heard a comparison between the MK41 and the ME66 on the Trew Audio site and the MK41 was just so much more warmish 'Film' sounding.

• 2 weeks later...

The MK41s sound great (I love mine), but be aware that they are pretty fussy about high humidity and very sensitive to handling noise.  It will pick up the sound of a finger gently moving along the cable or boompole and it will sound like you were dragging it over sandpaper.  Buzz Turner told me he was alone in a room on a job and he heard a thumping noise in his phones.  After checking several things he realized that the 41 was picking up his heartbeat.  And be prepared to pay top dollar.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there was but one variety of MK41 when I bought mine from Jerry Bruck at Posthorn, who at that time was the importer.  A quick glance at his web page (www.posthorn.com  ) shows the 41, 41S which incorporates a low cut feature (I don't believe it is switchable) and is intended for speech, and the 41V which is $385. more expensive and is improved off axis pickup.  I would listen to them and A B them if I could before making a decision.  I have found the cut 1 filter & gvc accessory very useful.  I got the 12 V phantom power capsule and later had Buzz Turner convert it to 48 V along with a cleaning/tuneup.

It might be worth your wile to consider the Neumann KMR 81 i  short shotgun.  My friend Tony Smyles has two for sale at a very nice price elsewhere on this site.  I got my 81 & 82 after speaking with Bruce Bisance and I have been happy with them.  More info at www.neumannusa.com

I'd really like to thank you guys for your wonderful advice and it's going to be the 41g with the swivel/elbow joint that i'm going for. Will keep in mind the Neumann KMR 81 i and will perhaps also look for a used one here in the Czech Republic. Thanks again