9V Power For Denecke TS-C

Alex Altman

Curious what you mean "trimmed the batt sled".

Did you just shorten it so that it would maintain pressure on a 9v inserted in the TS-C battery compartment?

Yup. Used a hacksaw. The compartment is sized precisely to a 9V form factor, which makes me think it was initially designed for multiple alkaline 9V.

So a 9volt iPower is easily going a day with a backlit TS-C? I usually change my rechargeable AA batteries every two days. I use the 2,000 mAh batteries, not the ones I normally use in my wireless transmitters. If I can get a full day from 9volts, I would give that a try.

Let me clarify that it isn't the EL (backlit) model. I've gotten a full 13+ hours on a single ipower 520mAh in the non-backlit slate.

New Mexico Mixer, I only trimmed one of the two sleds included with my (then) new slate. I can go with AA if I choose to, but changing a 9V daily is far simpler than keeping an eye on AAs for me. As you said, YMMV. :)

So a 9volt iPower is easily going a day with a backlit TS-C? I usually change my rechargeable AA batteries every two days. I use the 2,000 mAh batteries, not the ones I normally use in my wireless transmitters. If I can get a full day from 9volts, I would give that a try.

Don't you re-jam at lunch?

Jam the slate, swap the 9v.

• 1 year later...

Just got a new TS-C. Pretty nice unit. Tiny, but nice.

Brochure is not quite an operator manual and there is no operator manual so I have a few questions:

How do you externally power the slate? I see the voltage referenced in the brochure (5.7v to 16v DC) but nothing is mentioned about where you plug in that power. My guess is the 5 pin LEMO connector but the label on rear shows LEMO pin out +6/14V which does not match the brochure voltage range.

Nothing mentioned in brochure about what battery voltage is lowest before should replace batteries.

There is no mention in brochure about how long the clap frame display is shown. I saw a YouTube video that mentioned is held for 4 frames but I see no documentation to verify that.

Any way to make the clap frame display longer than 4 frames?

Any way to make the User Bits not display at all?

Just got a new TS-C. Pretty nice unit. Tiny, but nice.  Congrats, now play with it for a couple of hours

Brochure is not quite an operator manual and there is no operator manual so I have a few questions: Read it again, twice. It's short.

How do you externally power the slate? I see the voltage referenced in the brochure (5.7v to 16v DC) but nothing is mentioned about where you plug in that power. My guess is the 5 pin LEMO connector but the label on rear shows LEMO pin out +6/14V which does not match the brochure voltage range. Sorry, don't own one. Only used a 1 & 3. They power off a 4 pin XLR. But remove batteries before plugging in external power.

Nothing mentioned in brochure about what battery voltage is lowest before should replace batteries. Your answer is right up above. Somewhere before 5.7 v.

There is no mention in brochure about how long the clap frame display is shown. I saw a YouTube video that mentioned is held for 4 frames but I see no documentation to verify that. It's printed on the brochure under Mode.

Any way to make the clap frame display longer than 4 frames? Yes, see above.

Any way to make the User Bits not display at all? It's not made to go black at the clap.

We used 4 x TS-C slates on a 20 week show with one of the slates converted to 9v .

Used i-power 520mAh batteries,

Found it struggled to get a full day reliably as back lights were used on the slates usually.

Got a new Battery sled for that slate and converted it back to AA's.

Using powerex 2400mAh AA's now, guaranteed a full day but not much more.

Now 2 of the other slates are doing the powering off trick, so new sleds ordered, from my experience with them, the battery contact springs inside seem to get weak after regular use, its a little bit annoying as one of the slates is only a year old.

I use lower capacity AAs in my TS-C, maybe 1900mAH, because they are easier to get in and out of the holder. My slate lasts for days, even if we are doing stuff with the backlight on. As in, I change batteries every 3 or 4 days as a precaution, not because the low battery warning comes up. Are your batteries old?

Now 2 of the other slates are doing the powering off trick, so new sleds ordered, from my experience with them, the battery contact springs inside seem to get weak after regular use, its a little bit annoying as one of the slates is only a year old.

If that's the cause, I'd bet you a dollar to a doughnut that you'd get prompt, attentive support from the great gang at Denecke.

• 2 months later...

Just a thought with regard to Lithium vs alkaline... I usually use lithium in the Denecke sync boxes ostensibly so i don't have to worry about them. The other day we re-jammed the boxes at lunch and got the green flashing light. 40 minutes later one unit was dead. The Denecke has a yellow light for low battery indication but because the discharge curve is so steep on the lithiums we missed it. Lesson learned, never again on sync boxes ...alkaline or rechargeable...my 2 ¢

And yes Whitney, Charlie and the gang at Denecke are THE BEST. Old school. Mentored by one of the giants of our industry Mike Denecke.