Berlin cart

Matthias Richter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ditto on the power switch panel, gorgeous, the engineering on you cart build is very good, love the detachable wheel system, way better than mine for sure. I really don't want to rebuild my cart but seeing all these great mods makes it hard not too!

Thanks Gentleman for your kind words! The minor improvements are the ones that take the most effort it seems.

It was all done in the slow period over winter time and now it makes me smile when I sit in front and feel like a pilot of a Boing ;-)

I was looking for a solution to have the monitors like they are now and still be able to use that deep space behind. It works great. Behind the left mon are the spare headphones, behind the right are all the 12V cables and my Sennheiser IFB stereo-tx for 2x TB Boom.

Since PM-requested I will post a wireing sceme for the distro with all the parts involved.

The link to the quicklock receiver seems dead. Here is a new one. They call it axle sleeve (see related products).

http://www.sportaid....ease-axles.html

I got my parts all local from a wheelchair-repair service centre.

Power Distro MR.pdf

post-495-0-41431400-1335520524.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Matthias, hope you are well my friend!

regarding the power supply panel, i would suggest for the next version - move the non-critical switches away from the critical ones so that human error due to fatigue etc will be taken care of. :)

I will start plans for a new cart after my current gig. It's time for a new one! Will definitely go with your selction of wheels and quick-release axle. I remember discussing this with you a few years ago, but was too cash-strapped to order them from Germany. This time, i hope it happens! :)))

-vin

Vin good to hear from you!

I am sure there must be a source closer to you for those wheelchair parts. The axles could be fitted to any bike-wheel really as long as you choose the matching diameter.

The new link (http://www.sportaid.com/large-button-quick-release-axles.html) was just an example and found just by google "quick release axles"

My fingers are on my mixer during takes not on the switching panel ;-) And actually I have sort the gear in an order of importance (Fusion, Mixer, RXs and IFB in the top line).

Best, Matthias

• 3 years later...

thanks!

I even found a way to squeeze 2 more inputs out (or is it in?) of my 8ch CS208. The faders on the very right (bus C+D) will work as faders for inputs 9+10. So far it´s all worked out on paper only but I´ve got all the cables and the merger I need. Just need to find some time to test drive it.

thanks!

I even found a way to squeeze 2 more inputs out (or is it in?) of my 8ch CS208. The faders on the very right (bus C+D) will work as faders for inputs 9+10. So far it´s all worked out on paper only but I´ve got all the cables and the merger I need. Just need to find some time to test drive it

Wow, keep us informed about how your cooper 208/210 works out !   

• 1 month later...

finally found the time to make it work:

There is a 9pin MixBusInput on the Cooper 208 that gives access to the busses A-D. I am using A+B for my main mix (Booms+Lavs)

Feed 2 additional RXs into the Fusion 12 prefade input 11+12, route those tracks to output 3+4 of the Fusion`s outputs, then into 9pin-cable mixIn C+D of the Cooper, CD out into a passive combiner/merger and that mono-out into mixIn B (my radiomic bus).

That way I have all characters on 10 long-faders. No mixing with knobs.

The 9pin cable was the hardest. The Cooper specs say each MixIn needs 40kOhm in line with the incoming signal.

Cooper refers to +4dBu (100%). Fusion´s output level is 0dBu (-20dBfs). So I tried 39k, 27k, 22k and finally 18kOhm. Seems the passive combiner does some impediance thing or two.

The combiner is an passive ART Splitcom Pro Splitter.

http://www.thomann.de/de/art_splitcompro.htm

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

it’s with a heavy heart but I have updated my cart and therefor lost my beloved analog Cooper mixer. 
Deva 24 with Mix16 is my new setup with a RX12r joining them in the near future.

It still amazes me what this old mixer was and is still capable of. Need additional outs? It’s there: every channel got DOut Pre AND Postfade. Ideal for any playback scenes. But 8 faders just wasn’t enough any longer.
Cedar and Comms-mixer found a proper home now. And reducing some weight on the cart is a welcomed plus. 
While working on the cart I noticed some minor cracks on the upper case. Will replace both cases this winter. Found a good deal on 2 original SKB cases (100€!!). Since the design / setup of my cart still serves me well I will keep it as is.

E46FF0B8-D200-4F3F-B0AC-EFC34BD8C8C9.jpeg

085A7E6E-C541-4CFC-BEDF-034114EF71F7.jpeg

7CD0F01E-47FA-46CE-874F-D8C10908539B.jpeg

I had no idea you were one of the few of this select group that held out with the Cooper for so long. I was getting close to having to make the big change but managed to finish up my career still with the Cooper. The last job I did, episodes of Cameron Crowe's TV show "Roadies", I was worried since it was  TV (and I had done so little TV work in my long career) that I would run out of inputs, so my solution was to gang together my Cooper 208 with my Cooper 306 (mini)  --- built an outboard shelf on my cart for the 306. I knew it wouldn't be a lot of fun having to mix on two separate mixers  ---  it tuned out I was lucky and never had to use this setup, then I finished up and went back into retirement. Your new cart set up is glorious!

Also, I would like toI put your current cart in the Gallery of Sound Carts

bought the CS208 used in 2007 right before Andy went for retirement I believe. 
The moment I opened the Pelicase and had that board before me is still very present in my head. It was the first real invest I did back then and it felt soooo good. 
Not a single hiccup in all those years. And as mentioned I even managed to get 2 more inputs on the mix-bus faders.

But having to link my mobile setup (Nomad12&Mix8) for those big scenes was doable but no fun. Having 16 faders right in front of me now feels much better. 

I think I will keep the 208 anyway. I might even build a 2nd unit cart together with my Fusion 12 and the 4900 RXs. Prices for this kind of gear are so low I rather keep it. A used F12 went for as low as 1077€ the other day. Unbelievable.

Jeff please feel free to put the pic in the gallery.

• 1 year later...

no crashes so far. Done nearly 200 days now with the D24. 
Coming from an analog mixer it took a while to find some limiter settings that I can live with. For some reason I never heard any limiter on my Fusion 12 and also not on my Nomad 12. D24 limiters sound different. Not so transparent. 
Just try and not hit them …