Breakaway cable - Mogami W2602?

Bob Marts

The Remote Audio cable fits the Neutricon connectors.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Remote-Audio-Shielded-3-pair-Audio-Cable-CA3PS26.html

I really like it!

My camera breakaway cables are made with Mogami W2602 (4 pair) cable. I plan to make some new extensions with Neutricon connectors and I'm just wondering if there is a better or newer cable stlye than this.

The Remote Audio cable fits the Neutricon connectors.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Remote-Audio-Shielded-3-pair-Audio-Cable-CA3PS26.html

I really like it!

I find that both the mogami and remote audio cables are a little to large for the neutricon chucks. I usually end up enlarging the opening a bit with a dremel and they both fit fine.

However, it didn't look like they did that on the remote audio enake I used to own. I never figured out how.

• 4 weeks later...

I drill out the bushing (black plastic end cap) using two drill bits. One 5/16" on 23/64". This allows the Mogami W2931 4 channel cable to fit.

Remove the insert and chuck from the shell and then screw the bushing back on. Clamp the shell in a vise or wood clamp. Drill out the bushing, keeping the drill at a high speed. This sometimes breaks the inner cylinder of the bushing, but it still mounts and does it's job.

You may have to use pliers to unscrew the bushing. You can use ones with teeth without scratching it. It is a little difficult to clamp the cable in the chuck and screw the bushing on. It should screw on with only a couple of millimeters of space between it and the smooth outer part of the shell, although sometimes they just don't want to screw on that far.

I've built three cables, each with two Neutricons and have yet to have one fail on me.

Mark O.

For a standard ENG breakaway snake, I highly recommend the Remote Audio 3-pair cable.The mogami is nice and flexible, but it has 4 pairs. Only three pairs are used, which means that the 4th pair must be cut off and left inside the snake, making it unneccessarily to large for the Neutricon connectors, and also means that the conductors are a smaller gauge than the need to be. The Remote Audio cable is made with ENG breakaway snakes using Neutricon connectors. it has only three pairs, which means the conductor gauge is large while still keeping the overall diameter of the cable smaller than the Mogami, for a better fit with the Neutricons. The Remote Audio cable is not a flexible as the Mogami, but it is much more durable and becomes more flexible with use.

For some reason this cable is not listed on the Trew Audio online store. It will soon be posted, but until then it can be priced with a phone call.

Glen

I personally really like Mogami cable. It's soft and flexible, always lays flat, and has never failed on me. Redco sells the W2931 4 pair for $1.66 per foot. http://www.redco.com...pexd.asp?id=514

The individual lines are numbered, which makes them great for building short, numbered jumper cables.

If they sold a 3 pair cable that's what I'd be using in my snakes...

Mark O.

• 8 months later...

My camera snake is Mogami W2602 and it has been faultless for 4 years. I want to build some more but I can't find it now. Has it been discontinued? What is the difference between W2602 and W2931?

Also does anyone use the RF shielding EMC series Neutrik connectors on their breakaway tails?

Much appreciated,

Ed

" Also does anyone use the RF shielding EMC series Neutrik connectors on their breakaway tails? "

yes.

If they do it doesn't work as advertised. The connection must be unbroken between the source and the mixer plus the EMC connector works best on a mic level signal between the mic and the mixer.

Eric

" If they do it doesn't work as advertised. "

maybe, but I have some made up that way..

and I believe they are still working whatever the signal level is... of course I'd expect them to be more noticeable in cases where the interference is closer to the signal level (like mic level)...

" If they do it doesn't work as advertised. "

maybe, but I have some made up that way..

and I believe they are still working whatever the signal level is... of course I'd expect them to be more noticeable in cases where the interference is closer to the signal level (like mic level)...

You missed the point completely. Regardless of the signal level (mic, line) it must be an unbroken feed between output to input. A breakaway cable by it's very design does not meet that requirement.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is the difference between Mogami W2602 and W2931? They are both 4 pair cables from what I can tell. My camera snake is W2602 but others appear to be using W2931.

I'm not sure what the difference is - Mogami doesn't even list 2602 on their web site. Regarding 2931- I have some 2931 that have been using for perhaps around 20 years now with zero failure on the cable itself. I wish I could say the same for my connectors.