Camera Hop Options on a budget

Jeff Babb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone had any experience with using or building a TA3 to split out (left and right) 1/8" locking miniplugs for connecting SD tape out on a 302 to 2 G3s?  I haven't seen any cables like this offered by the usual suspects. It would be useful for sending a 2 channel feed to a second camera.

has anyone had any experience with using or building a TA3 to split out (left and right) 1/8" locking miniplugs for connecting SD tape out on a 302 to 2 G3s?  I haven't seen any cables like this offered by the usual suspects. It would be useful for sending a 2 channel feed to a second camera.

Why not use the two XLR outs for the two G3s and the tape out to a back up recorder? I've done this on many shows.

has anyone had any experience with using or building a TA3 to split out (left and right) 1/8" locking miniplugs for connecting SD tape out on a 302 to 2 G3s? I haven't seen any cables like this offered by the usual suspects. It would be useful for sending a 2 channel feed to a second camera.

I built one for my 442. It was a fairly easy build.

post-4418-0-02295900-1360341013_thumb.jp

Why not use the two XLR outs for the two G3s and the tape out to a back up recorder? I've done this on many shows.

I do the same!

Maybe Chris is near cam A so cabled to it from his 302's XLR outs and wants to send a second output to a far away (or frequently moving) cam B ?

• 1 month later...

I'm considering trying out a Sennheiser 300 IEM for stereo camera hops on set. Looks like the 1/2 rack TX unit will run off of 12V. The RX units are pretty small, and can be fitted with velcro on the back to stick onto a camera. I'll need to fabricate a 1/8" lockable connector to dual XLR males for each RX unit. The antenna can be extended with a short 50 Ohm BNC, so it doesn't sit at the bottom of the bag...

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com 

I used the mono out of a 302 and made the cable to feed a G2 (for longer range IFB in a car-to-car situation). Got the locking minijack from Markertek. Works great. I was using the XLR outs to send the main audio to my Zaxcom hop. 

If you don't feel up to making the cable, somebody like Trew Audio has probably made lots of these. 

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a little old, but for you guys that use G3's as a wireless camera hop, how do you physically attach them to the camera?  Right now am I just using an ERX to send mono wirelessly, but I want to find an inexpensive solution for wireless stereo. I might still use the ERX for just timecode.  I just can't justify the price of a stereo Zaxcom QRX setup.

Any other new options I should be looking at?

Thanks!  

I know this thread is a little old, but for you guys that use G3's as a wireless camera hop, how do you physically attach them to the camera? Right now am I just using an ERX to send mono wirelessly, but I want to find an inexpensive solution for wireless stereo. I might still use the ERX for just timecode. I just can't justify the price of a stereo Zaxcom QRX setup.

Any other new options I should be looking at?

Thanks!

velcro for slapping it. Works great for big surfaces like alexa has. Red epics I leave it over to camera dept. Eng style cams Velcro again, smaller hand held I usually strap it to the hand grip for the zoom rocker. G3 also comes with a hot shoe mount, so some cameras can be used with that, if not used for something else.

Rycote also make a bracket that can either clip to the hot shoe or anywhere else. It's not receiver specific.

Usually I hand the receiver to the camera department, inform them of whatever mounting accessories I have and let them mount it on the cam wherever they like it. I have absolutely no personal preference

I know this thread is a little old, but for you guys that use G3's as a wireless camera hop, how do you physically attach them to the camera?  

I use the Sennheiser cold shoe mounts. They work well for my G3s, SRBs and ERXs - when there is an available mount on the camera. 

Cheers,

Evan

post-4040-0-19281700-1416362843_thumb.jp

+1 for what s been said. Also carrying around in your kit some bongo ties, black 1" camera tape, extra 12'' xlr's if you need to go further and spare industrial velcro will help you. (use a bit of a flame from a lighter on the glue before sticking the velcro on a camera surface). There is no constant recipe on placing a rx on a camera so you wanna come prepared for many possibilities. Hotshoes are the best but you can t count on those always.

For my ERXs I bought a few of those Body Glove cell phone cases. I pried the belt clip off a couple of them and replaced it with velcro. I can put that directly on the camera or onto a velcro Sennheiser cold shoe mount as described above. The case protects the right angle 1/8" connection from being disturbed, and theoretically from the elements somewhat. The only bummer is that it limits visibility on the power LED.

Great cheap case, got mine for $15 or so!