Tascam HS-P82 Users

jrd456

Yes, the official solution is "turn it slowly". The knobs are the analog input level trims, so adjusting them during recording will directly affect the ISO track levels as well as the levels in the mix. Obviously if you're in a situation where the limiters are off and vocal hell breaks out on set you're going to need to grab them, but generally the HS-P82 was designed for those to be set-and-forget, then mix on the LCD screen where you have access to the track solos.

I'll add you onto the list of people who'd probably use my future feature to swap the mixer levels onto the knobs and the trim levels into the LCD.

• 9 months later...

Question to Tom:

Hello Tom!

Do you actually know of a release date for a new OS update?

the "rename mirror bug" is so annoying for me (rename does not rename the mirrored files)

And I really hope to get a solution for the short silence after pressing record stop (perhaps at least on the headphone out), because I always miss the first few words from the director directly after a take!:-D

Apart from that, I really like to work with the HS-P82 (haven't tried very hot/cold temperature situations, yet;-))

Thanks a lot

Best, Julian

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had my HS-P82 (and fader board) for ~9 months now.

Off the bat, 3 negatives:

1) Heavy  and a big beast - I bag it sometimes but usually it's just on my cart.

2) Like many are saying above, would be nice to have option to switch gain knobs to be faders.  Maybe it would be great if you could make the trim knobs as faders for the mix, and then if you were to "solo" a track, the push button / big knob would control the gain for that selected source?

3) The mix is recorded to a separate file.  ALL MY EDITORS HATE THIS!  They all just want a mono mixdown on track one so I've had to go out from the XLR output back into track 1 / lose a track because of it.

Obviously "1" isn't fixable but if 2 and 3 were fixed via software, this would be still a great machine!

I will say though that:

1) The Pre's are really clean / sound great

2) Love the touch screen interface (makes menu hunting in a 788 seem archaic)

3) I've used this thing in Chicago winters (~0ºF) all the way up to Mojave Desert summers (~110ºF) and it's never quit on me.

4) I've never lost a single take ever (I leave a tray of rechargeable AA's in the sled in case my V-Mount battery system on my BDS goes down)

5) The 8 channel fader board is great (and affordable).

Between documentaries to narrative features, I've used this unit on just about everything and it's been a great experience.  Like I said, if the software could be updated to address 2 & 3 on my list above, I would be really happy.

SIDE NOTE: The only issue I have physically with the unit right now is that for some reason my trim knob is stuck in the "popped" out position on track 5.  The unit is still under warranty so I intend on getting it fixed (even though the knob still functions fine).

You use the Tascam and a V-mount in your bag? How much does that weigh?

A bit OT, but the 788's menu has been taking a few hits lately, so I would just like to point out the breadcrumb feature, as well as the shortcuts (which can be user-defined, I think). When working with a keyboard, any menu item can become a keyboard shortcut. You can control the entire machine without ever touching it

You use the Tascam and a V-mount in your bag? How much does that weigh?

A bit OT, but the 788's menu has been taking a few hits lately, so I would just like to point out the breadcrumb feature, as well as the shortcuts (which can be user-defined, I think). When working with a keyboard, any menu item can become a keyboard shortcut. You can control the entire machine without ever touching it

I've never weighed it before, mostly because ignorance is bliss on that one yet it's definitely beastly.  I mostly do cart based work or static things like sit down interviews where the bag is on a table etc.

The 788 is a fantastic machine and sounds amazing.  Now that it is 4+ years old though, I have a feeling that 2014 is going to bring an update, especially considering that the 664 and 633 are now in the lineup and have some pretty nice screens and features that make the 788 look (although definitely not sound) out of date.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Tom! I didn't realize it went into the unit. I guess I was looking for the battery to hang out the back, similar to the SD machines.

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I will be working with a HS-P82 one a three week shoot (with the fader pack) and I am trying to gather some info before-hand.

It seems like a decent unit for the price but I am very sceptical about the limiters being post AD. Could users comment on them?

All happy with the pres?

That big display looks quite power hungry. Any comments on power consumption?

Lastly, I am thinking about renting a unit for 2-3 days. Are any units been reported of having issues? Anything specific to look out for?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers in advance.

Hey all,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I will be working with a HS-P82 one a three week shoot (with the fader pack) and I am trying to gather some info before-hand.

It seems like a decent unit for the price but I am very sceptical about the limiters being post AD. Could users comment on them?

All happy with the pres?

That big display looks quite power hungry. Any comments on power consumption?

Lastly, I am thinking about renting a unit for 2-3 days. Are any units been reported of having issues? Anything specific to look out for?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers in advance.

I've been using one on my cart for ~3 years now... it's been a solid unit.  Limiters have been "fine"... wouldn't say as good as my SD's limiters but they seem to do the trick and have saved me plenty of times.  Pre's have been really clean to me (I've actually even used the unit to record music before and it turned out great).  It does like to suck some juice power wise.  I currently run the HS-P82 with a Lectrosonics Venue and with a 180wh battery, I sometimes get a day out of it if I shut everything down between major setup changes, although it seems that an hour or two before the end of the day, I do sometimes have to swap the battery out.  The only warranty issue I've had was that on the unit, one of the "pop out" gain knobs decided to pop out and not be able to go back in (despite it still working 100% fine still).  It was more of a cosmetic issue than anything but thankfully Teac/Tascam is right here in Los Angeles so I dropped the unit off and they fixed it with a quick turn around time.

One word of caution, make sure to make sure you don't run out of battery with the unit when you're recording because if the battery dies mid take, you will lose that take.  Also, the timecode clock in the unit has been so-so to me, so I usually keep a lock it locked to it to make sure it doesn't drift.  Other than those two qualms, it's been a solid unit and it's infinitely more affordable to have a HS-P82 + fader pack than any similar offerings from SD/Zax!