Nomad lead time?

RandyHall

I was thinking the Nomad 6 was the right size to buy. I'm intrigued about the automixer and being able to use that for some radio talk show-style recording (a la reality TV, just without the TV). Being able to run different audio feeds every which direction is also tantalizing.

Not yet implemented.

I noticed on all the retail sites the little asterisk next to automixing, meaning it's not there yet. But it's intriguing nonetheless, and when the feature does get pushed out on firmware, I wouldn't have to upgrade the Nomad to a 6 in order to get it.

For Nomad users out there, what's the sweet spot in terms of which model you buy?

I ordered my Nomad 6, and got it the next day. Definitely call around to your favorite dealer(s). There may be a short wait on something like a 12, but I think that initial rush has settled.

As for sweet spot, depends on what you do? I went with the 6, though I may get it upgraded to 8 in time. The USB recording of the 8 is possibly really useful. I do have one client that really wants MP3 TC stamped recordings for transcription. The Nomad 8 and up will have that (when it's activated). It's a lot easier to hand them a USB stick than pull out a MS Windows laptop and convert Wave files while wrapping out.

Remember that every Nomad is a 10 input mixer, it's just how many tracks can be recorded, as well as other features. With all the routing, that may be all you need. You could make lavs 4, 5 and 6 all go to the same recording track and select if they are sent pre or post fader. That would work on those reality shows where people are carrying 9 wireless mics, but rarely have more than 3 people on camera at a time. You can't reroute inputs to disk tracks WHILE recording, but still an option for those peripheral characters.