I need a few cables built. Just curious as to how easy it is to DIY

I need:

4-pin male XLR to female XLR (connects my power source to my mixer)

4-pin male XLR to 4-pin Hirose (connects my power source to the Nomad)

4-pin male XLR to ?? (connects my power source to my QRX100 that I just ordered)

Coiled XLR male to female

So, I was curious as to whether its cheaper to buy or DIY.

Does anyone have a good/cheap source for parts?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

XLRs are fairly easy if you can solder. I actually tend to get parts locally because I have a cheap source but I'm sure others will chime in with good places online. For Hirose, the connectors are a pain to find and solder, my suggestion is to buy a hirose-hirose power cable, cut it in half, and solder the bare ends into XLR4s. Then you have 2 cables where the hirose ends have been professionally built.

XLRs are fairly easy if you can solder. I actually tend to get parts locally because I have a cheap source but I'm sure others will chime in with good places online. For Hirose, the connectors are a pain to find and solder, my suggestion is to buy a hirose-hirose power cable, cut it in half, and solder the bare ends into XLR4s. Then you have 2 cables where the hirose ends have been professionally built.

That's a great idea!

In the long run it is cheaper to buy your own tools and parts. However, the right tools can easily add up. You'll need a very thin soldering iron, alligator clips, various pliers, a small table top vice, shrink wrap, de-soldering tools, and other things that I'm forgetting about at the moment.

Hirose connectors are definitely small but not impossible. XLR's are pretty easy. LEMO's are beyond my skill.

One good thing about learning how to build your own cables is knowing how to quickly repair or build goofy, custom cables.

There are a few versions of the Hirose HR10 connector that I have used.

This one has a set screw and cable clamp that is a pan to use, precise cable prep is key-

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/HR10A-7P-4S%2873%29/HR1584-ND/1095442

This one is setup more like a Neutrik XLR connector, with a chuck/collet type cable clamp...way easier to use-

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/HR10-7P-4P%2873%29/HR1558-ND/896581

In the long run it is cheaper to buy your own tools and parts. However, the right tools can easily add up. You'll need a very thin soldering iron, alligator clips, various pliers, a small table top vice, shrink wrap, de-soldering tools, and other things that I'm forgetting about at the moment.

Basically your going to need this type of setup :blink:

post-22-0-55554100-1341376941.jpg

I recently bought a coiled headphone extension cable (24' max) at rshack for about $12. Cut the ends off and soldered on XLRs. Probably cost about $20 total instead of $40-$50. Easy build and quality is fine. Nomad's power input is Hirose? good to know if I ever pull the damn trigger on one!

I recently bought a coiled headphone extension cable (24' max) at rshack for about $12. Cut the ends off and soldered on XLRs. Probably cost about $20 total instead of $40-$50. Easy build and quality is fine. Nomad's power input is Hirose? good to know if I ever pull the damn trigger on one!

What was the headphone extension piece used for? Since you mentioned adding XLRs, I'll say that headphone cables are usually not shielded, and audio cables need to be shielded, particularly at mic level. If the headphone cable was used for a power cable, you should consider that headphone cable usually has very small gauge conductors that will have significant voltage drop when supplying 12V to the equipment this group normally uses.

Glen Trew

What was the headphone extension piece used for? Since you mentioned adding XLRs, I'll say that headphone cables are usually not shielded, and audio cables need to be shielded, particularly at mic level. If the headphone cable was used for a power cable, you should consider that headphone cable usually has very small gauge conductors that will have significant voltage drop when supplying 12V to the equipment this group normally uses.

Hey Glen. Just using the extension as a mic cable for going from boom to recorder input. It is shielded...at least that's what the package said. Probably wouldn't be good for power for the reason you mentioned.

Here's a link to it. It doesn't say anything on the website about it's shielding.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103866

Hey Glen. Just using the extension as a mic cable for going from boom to recorder input. It is shielded...at least that's what the package said. Probably wouldn't be good for power for the reason you mentioned.

Here's a link to it. It doesn't say anything on the website about it's shielding.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103866

A shield would have been apparent when installing the XLR connectors. You can unscrew the connectors and take a look at the conductors to see if one of them wraps around the others (which would be a shield). Then the question is how affective the shielding is. Affective shielding is not important for headphone use. With mic level signals in particular, the shielding can be very important.

Glen Trew

If you're new to making cables, or just rusty, you might be interested in this book. In fact, I think it's been mentioned here somewhere:

Audio Wiring Guide

How to wire the most popular audio and video connectors

By John Hechtman

http://www.focalpress.com/books/details/9780240520063/

Won't make you as good as Eric or other wizards of wiring, but will probably get you off on the right foot.

Jim "used to make all sorts of cables as part of my job, now pretty rusty" Feeley

A shield would have been apparent when installing the XLR connectors. You can unscrew the connectors and take a look at the conductors to see if one of them wraps around the others (which would be a shield). Then the question is how affective the shielding is. Affective shielding is not important for headphone use. With mic level signals in particular, the shielding can be very important.

Glen Trew

Yeah, it was shielded. Aside from the package saying so, my eyes told me when I stripped it. Effectiveness? Maybe questionable. Although, I've shot a ton of content for Walmart with it and had no kind of issues whatsoever. It's entirely possible that the shielding really comes into play when crossing stingers. If that's the case, this cable will never do so. It's purely to go from my CCR exit, down my arm, and straight into my recorder. Maybe there are other things I should be worried about with it though?

Oh, and I'm planning on stopping by Trew/Coffey someday soon. One of the rental techs there is a friend and we've been chatting about messing with a NOMAD for a few minutes. Looking forward to it. I usually go to LSC because it's close to me but I really want to check out your shop too!

• 2 weeks later...

Rewiring entire cart and putting in a patch panel. I am going to assume that it is important to solder all the chassis( shell) pins to ground/shield pin--number 1? I went thru all of my cables that i have in my inventory and found an inconsistency, some were soldered and some were not. Standard practice to solder them?

Sounds like a stupid question but this the first time that am starting from ground zero.

Using all canare starquad.

Rewiring entire cart and putting in a patch panel. I am going to assume that it is important to solder all the chassis( shell) pins to ground/shield pin--number 1? I went thru all of my cables that i have in my inventory and found an inconsistency, some were soldered and some were not. Standard practice to solder them?

Sounds like a stupid question but this the first time that am starting from ground zero.

Using all canare starquad.

Sadly there's no right or wrong answer. Some people connect all grounds to shell, some people do it at one end of the cable only, some people have drop-in ground lift connectors/adapters/cables to use when needed... I'm not sure there's a definitive answer.

Soldering the shields/ground to the shell might help with a/c induced hum but you run the risk of shorting out all gear connected to a bad a/c ground especially if you're using more than one a/c feed to your cart from different circuts. If you're powering your cart from battery power only you'll be fine as you are....but....any connection to an a/c powered unit such as a monitor feed to VV could create problems with grounded shells. FWIW my advice is unconnect all grounded shells in in the patch bay so you have consistancy and no easy path to gear.

Eric

I've been making and repairing cables for many years, The TA and Hyrose connetors will dirve you to drink.

Most of the 'usual supect' pro shops will have cable stock and connectors. I usally get the cable and parts from http://www.markertek.com/ who has an extensive inventory of even hard-to-find items.

Sheided or not, I'm not sure I would be conforatable using a cable from the Shack O' Shame