Contract ratified

RPSharman

IATSE Local 695 Announcements | July 3, 2012

Basic Contract Ratified Unanimously by West Coast Locals

Voter participation in this ballot was significantly lower than hoped but the result was unanimous ratification of the Basic Contract proposal. (Votes for all Locals are tabulated somewhat like the Electoral College system but we count Delegate votes instead of Electoral votes and the entire Delegate vote is determined by the majority opinion of the members of the Local.)

The 2% wage increase approved in this contract applies to productions shot under the Basic Agreement and becomes effective August 1st. New wage rates will be posted on the website when we receive the official documents but until then, just add 2% to the current hourly rates.

Results for 695:

- 1668 ballots were mailed to Local 695 members.

- 614 completed ballots were received.

- 565 of the 614 ballots were qualified to be counted.

- 49 of the 614 ballots were deemed ineligible. (i.e. unpaid dues for 2nd quarter)

- 405 ballots were FOR ratification.

- 158 ballots were AGAINST ratification.

- 2 ballots were void.

More info at www.695.com. Update email at www.695.com/mbr/cp-toc.php

Results for 695:

- 1668 ballots were mailed to Local 695 members.

- 614 completed ballots were received.

Please excuse me, but the 1054 members that didn't bother to return their ballots with a vote, either for or against, should hang their heads in shame today.

WARNING: all about me...

Voted, and proud of it! Thanks to those of you who stood up at the meetings and spoke your mind (I've thanked some of you in person at those meetings). Had to leave early for work at the last one, sorry. Some very intelligent people in the union. Glad I can be there to learn from them. UNION is worth it, even if it takes time to network. Only need a few days to cover the year's dues. One year, I might even get my benefits!

Worst part of this is that producers now know that the next contract can be truly terrible, and nobody will turn up to vote anyway.

This.

The low turnout on this, when it will have NATIONAL effect on all of us, is truly disgusting. I'm sorry, but the Left Coast should not have the honor of being the only ones to vote and control something this important, especially if every one of those 1000+ that didn't even BOTHER to return their ballot are SO COMFORTABLE that they don't feel the need to be involved in their own future.

I'm out here on the East with a LOT of other people in all these crafts, and we are struggling with our own lives just as much as the next guy... But we don't GET TO HAVE A VOICE in something as important as this. For every one of those ballots from each of the crafts that wasn't returned... Thanks for marginalizing the non-voting that WERE willing to stand with you, had you bothered to raise your hand.

Solidarity means being involved FOR ALL OF US, because it benefits ALL OF US.

*stomps back to the corner, ranting*

Man o man that is a sorry turn out. I spoke with all the folks I worked with over the last month and they all said they would vote. I must say I work w many liars if that few voted. I do know one thing, all the Chamberlains voted.

CrewC

Funny hunh, everyone I talk to says they voted too. Either everyone lies or worse.... I will let everyone else figure out the worse... whatever you fancy..

I often hear members complain about the union, even though they themselves never participate. They treat the union as a separate entity, without understanding that THEY are the union. The very word means unified. Without participating, they deserve whatever fate comes to them from those who do...

I often hear members complain about the union, even though they themselves never participate. They treat the union as a separate entity, without understanding that THEY are the union. The very word means unified. Without participating, they deserve whatever fate comes to them from those who do...

Well said, John. But it's a lot easier to make accusations than it is to participate. Less satisfying, but easier.

" 695 is in L.A., right? What's the local in SF, "

yes, and ??, but the SF local is not actually involved in this contract, which only applies to the designated (aka voting) locals.

" should not have the honor of being the only ones to vote and control something this important, "

(only) all the locals that are signatory to the agreement get to vote on it, which is, as it should be.

Man o man that is a sorry turn out.

When age 18 rolled around one of my kid's friends told me that it wasn't worth taking "all the" time to vote. I looked at her and said, "In 1994 black people in South Africa were allowed to vote for the first time in their lives and some of them stood in line, in the African sun, for two days so that they could vote... and you can't be bothered to drive to the high school and spend 20 minutes to vote?" She voted then and has every time since, as she keeps telling me.

I get so pissed off at people that are eligible to vote and can't be bothered. They're also usually the ones that complain the most about the people that got elected.

695 is in L.A., right? What's the local in SF, and I assume they ratified as well? Just wanting to know where I stand when I'm on the producer end of the relationship.

Hey Randy,

It's 16 here in SF which covers a lot of grounds within the radius of SF. Though, it's more geared toward stage and corporate, many times we get called for the 'bigger' stuff that comes into town (Moneyball, The Master).

Hey Randy,

It's 16 here in SF which covers a lot of grounds within the radius of SF. Though, it's more geared toward stage and corporate, many times we get called for the 'bigger' stuff that comes into town (Moneyball, The Master).

Yeah, I bothered to google "IATSE San Francisco". Wasn't too difficult.

As I'm not union (and might never be, considering I'm more likely to be considered management) I am not terribly well connected to contract negotiations, or standard contracts, and so on. I'm sure that as I get more indoctrinated into this, I will learn a great deal about it.

Nevertheless, I support you guys and believe in being fair to labor, even if the paperwork is a pain in the backside.