Boom Recorder 5.9

takev

Hello everyone,

I would like to spend this opportunity to tell you about the new version of Boom Recorder.

This new version of Boom Recorder now handles 64 channels, instead of the previous 32 channels. Although most people doing feature film work would probably not need 64 channels, it seems to be that for recording concerts this is quite useful.

This change did come at a cost, instead of using only 200 MB it now uses around 400 MB of memory. I know that many people here already have a lot of memory in their computer, so I hope this is not a problem.

Cheers,

Take Vos

Hello everyone,

I would like to spend this opportunity to tell you about the new version of Boom Recorder.

This new version of Boom Recorder now handles 64 channels, instead of the previous 32 channels. Although most people doing feature film work would probably not need 64 channels, it seems to be that for recording concerts this is quite useful.

Wow! Will wonders never cease. Take, you've done it again and improved and expanded an already powerful and elegant software product with BoomRecorder. Keep up the good work (I know you will).

- and thanks for posting the availability of this update

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Are there any wishes for Boom Recorder?

Sometimes things can be easily added, and it is the little things that will help the most people.

Currently on the list that are a lot of work, so will not appear in short order:

- Multiple copies of files to be created in parallel

- MIDI Control

- MIDI Timecode

Cheers,

Take

Hi Take,

I can't think of any changes i would suggest to the recording side of your software. I would however, like to see the addition to somehow make a "recording log" to the program. Not to make comparisons, but the way Metacorder logs scene and take info like track assignements, plane noise, wildtrack identidication etc, etc. is really nice. Having the ability to log and then print a nice sound report at the end of the day would be a nice addition.

However i don't want my suggestions to be seen as a criticism of Boomrecorder. It's a great program. Keep up the good work.

Are there any wishes for Boom Recorder?

Sometimes things can be easily added, and it is the little things that will help the most people.

I have not tried all the various features of BoomRecorder with regards to playing files back. Somewhere along the line I know you added the feature to play back files from the history list of files recording with BoomRecorder. Does it have the facility at this point to play back files recorded elsewhere? Also, related to this would be some functional utility within BoomRecorder that could pick up some of the functions of Courtney's BWF Widget Pro which as we have discussed is Windows only but does provide some very useful file management, metadata and timecode functions, and so forth.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hi Take,

I have a request, but I'm sure it falls in the "lots of work" category:  Please make a version for those of us using the inferior operating system (AKA Windows!).

Thanks!

Phil

This has already been discussed at great length on RAMPS and Take has made it very clear that he is not going to do BoomRecorder for Windows (and I might also add, Courtney Goodin is not going to do BWF Widget Pro for the Mac).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I have not tried all the various features of BoomRecorder with regards to playing files back. Somewhere along the line I know you added the feature to play back files from the history list of files recording with BoomRecorder. Does it have the facility at this point to play back files recorded elsewhere? Also, related to this would be some functional utility within BoomRecorder that could pick up some of the functions of Courtney's BWF Widget Pro which as we have discussed is Windows only but does provide some very useful file management, metadata and timecode functions, and so forth.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

You can drag and drop BWF audio files which you recorded before (and maybe even from other equipment) in the history table. But only polyphonic files play back polyphonic. It will not yet join all the mono files when you drop one in.

I've been thinking about using the history table as one you can modify such that the metadata in the audio file changes. This is more of a long term project and will only work with files recorded with Boom Recorder. This is a long term project as the audio files need to be written in such a way that there is extra room in the header for the changes in metadata, otherwise you would have to rewrite the complete file.

Hi Take,

I can't think of any changes i would suggest to the recording side of your software. I would however, like to see the addition to somehow make a "recording log" to the program. Not to make comparisons, but the way Metacorder logs scene and take info like track assignements, plane noise, wildtrack identidication etc, etc. is really nice. Having the ability to log and then print a nice sound report at the end of the day would be a nice addition.

However i don't want my suggestions to be seen as a criticism of Boomrecorder. It's a great program. Keep up the good work.

Boom Recorder currently writes out a .csv file together with the audio, this at least shows which recordings have been done, however changing a metadata after a recording can not be done yet with Boom Recorder. Also I guess I need to do something about the csv files when you can modify the metadata.

I know what Take and Courtney say about porting their programs, but things do sometimes change if people keep asking long enough:  Altiverb, probably the most popular software reverb at the moment,  was always sworn to be a Mac only product from a Mac-only company (AudioEase).  I'm glad to say that now they have announced a Windows XP (VST/RTAS) version.

Good for them I say.

Philip Perkins

Nice job Take on your website also --- clean design but interesting visually also. Regarding BoomRecorder having some logging features similar to Metacorder, I agree that this would be a very good thing as it is the main item that is mentioned that separates the differences between Metacorder and Boomrecorder. People that have used both seem to conclude that the core functionality (no pun intended) is very similar and both programs work very well, but Metacorder has more features particularly in the logging, metadata area. I will also add, for those who may not know, Metacorder is quite a bit more expensive than BoomRecorder.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Nice job Take on your website also --- clean design but interesting visually also. Regarding BoomRecorder having some logging features similar to Metacorder, I agree that this would be a very good thing as it is the main item that is mentioned that separates the differences between Metacorder and Boomrecorder. People that have used both seem to conclude that the core functionality (no pun intended) is very similar and both programs work very well, but Metacorder has more features particularly in the logging, metadata area. I will also add, for those who may not know, Metacorder is quite a bit more expensive than BoomRecorder.

Thank you for the comment about the website, I am pretty happy with it, took me a week to get it like this. I will be adding more content to this, like examples of different setups; such as sound cart for feature films to 48 channel sound trucks.

It would be nice to receive some information about how people are using Boom Recorder and pictures would be really nice.

I am thinking of putting the history in a separate window that would be larger as well. Here you could then change the metadata and export this data to a csv file and also load csv files from previous versions. The csv files would have a fixed format though.

Removing the history from the main window would leave me space to add the multiple file output user interface there.

Would there be interest in MS decoding for monitoring such a thing, possibly recording both M+S and R+L. Or doesn't anyone use such a method of recording anymore. Are there edit programs that decodes MS?

Cheers,

Take

I am thinking of putting the history in a separate window that would be larger as well. Here you could then change the metadata and export this data to a csv file and also load csv files from previous versions. The csv files would have a fixed format though.

Cheers,

Take

I think HISTORY in a different window is a really good idea particularly if it heads us in the future in the direction of even better logging, metadata managements, etc.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I think HISTORY in a different window is a really good idea particularly if it heads us in the future in the direction of even better logging, metadata managements, etc.

I've just put the history in a different window in my development version. It has not yet been released though, so you will have to wait a little bit.

Cheers,

Take

I've just put the history in a different window in my development version. It has not yet been released though, so you will have to wait a little bit.

Cheers,

Take

Oh no, does that mean in a few minutes we are all going to be downloading BoomRecorder version 6.0?

- JW

Oh no, does that mean in a few minutes we are all going to be downloading BoomRecorder version 6.0?

No version 5.10 ;-), maybe tomorrow, maybe somewhere later this week. I am also planning some other things, plus I need a day off.

Take

Hi,

I've released a new version of Boom Recorder now. This one has the history in a separate window which doesn't do anything extra, except you can make the window larger.

An other thing that has been changed it that I have turned off file-caching when writing or reading the BWF file in an effort to make recording of a lot of mono tracks more smooth. A customer had some problems recording 48 tracks and this seems to help the most, although using a firewire drive instead of an internal SATA drive helps even more.