Schoeps CMIT 5 and humidity?

bcopenhagen

I'm looking at adding a short shotgun to my collection.  Right now I have a couple Schoeps CMC 5's with MK41, MK4, and MK2 capsules, as well as a Senn MKH70 when the Schoeps get fritzy in the foggy SF night exteriors.

Can anyone report about the CMIT 5u in humid environments?  Does it suffer the same frailties of the CMC mics?  Or is it a viable competitor for the dependability of an MKH60?

(I'll also be curious how the DPA shotgun will fare in humid conditions)

Jeff, you and Don have a CMIT in your bevy of mics, no?

Thanks for any insights and experiences.

Brian Copenhagen

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately I've had some humidity issues with the CMIT 5.  It was a steamy Georgia night and the mic was not in a Zeppelin, it motor boated and sputtered until we took it down.  After it dried out, it was its usual sweet sounding self.  After that night, we kept it in the zepp with a windjammer and under a trash bag to keep off condensation.

Travis Groves

I was thinking of bringing a CMIT on a recent Nat Geo thing I did in Africa, but a chap I know who has one said I should reconsider as he has had moisture issues... so I ended up bringing my trusty MKH70 ... that mic will never let you down. I did bring my CMC6 with a 41 capsule as well, but I only brought it out when we shot on a train ... so it was fine —but I'm not sure I would use it in the jungle. Regardless the CMIT, as are all the Schoeps, nice mics.

F.