AT4073a good, bad, or just decent?

Rakesh Anderson

I recently bought a used AT4073a for $300 bucks. Did I do good? I noticed on a camera site that one poster regarded this mic as a mic used by camera people and "neophyte" sound mixers because of it's more forgiving pickup pattern than say a 416. Does this mic really have a rep as a lesser quality mic?

I was curious what those who have experience with this mic think about it. I haven't had a chance yet to really test it out, but from my 1st and only listen, it seems pretty hot, and little darker sounding than I was expecting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rakesh

I've been using this as my main boom mic for a few years now. It's a hotter output, pick up pattern is a little odd, sounds very crisp in the high mids to me, and very dependable. I think you did well for 300, it's a great mic!

I've been using this as my main boom mic for a few years now. It's a hotter output, pick up pattern is a little odd, sounds very crisp in the high mids to me, and very dependable. I think you did well for 300, it's a great mic!

+1 on all that. 4073a is my only shotgun. A/B it with a 416 or 460 and it's very similar just a little brighter/harsher at the top end. I think the Sanken CS-3e sounds a little dark compared to 4073a. It's definitely a hot output mic. Switching between Oktava MK012 to 4073a I have to pull my trim way down. Good find. Enjoy it!

This was my first mic purchase and I still keep it as a backup. Don't equate it to the Sennheiser me66, a lesser mic and another mainstay of camera ops and beginner mixers. The at4073a sounds good, is well built, and is a steal at $300. Nice find.

A vey good mic. I have one and used it all over the world in extream climatic condtions back in the 90s.. never a bit of trouble and it still works great... I love the hot output and the ability to run on less than 48V PP saving batteries.

Not better or worse than a 416.. different, a bit brighter IMO.

The Audio Technica 4073 is probably the most under-noticed and under-appreciated mic in our industry. It's not the RF circuitry of the Sennheiser MKH line, but it's definitely professional quality and makes a good boom mic where a short shotgun will do.

They were used extensively in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, and those mics were dumped on the market at a very low price, which made them difficult for dealers to afford to carry them and promote them. Thus the low price.

You spent well.

Glen Trew

• 6 months later...

I got one in 1991.. (or was it '92) still works great. It even went through all kinds of inhospitable hell when I was working documentaries in the worst shit holes of the world one could imagine, came through it better than I did. I was so impressed, I bought an (Olympic) 4071 (long shotgun) when one became available. (never used it that much though)

The 4073a is a great mic. If you got one in good condition for $300 then it's a steal.

You'll find it's limits... it's not that great indoors unless the interior space is REALLY good. The 416, CS3e, and even NTG3 will do a typical interior that a 4073a won't do well... but the 4073a is almost somewhere between a 416 and an 816... with really long range pickup compared to most mics. It sounds very natural on sounds that are much farther from the mic...

I don't think I'd want it as my only option... but it's a great mic.

• 3 weeks later...

Would i be wrong in assuming this would fit better to cut with my 4053 which I would use for interiors? I'm on the hunt for a shotgun for exteriors and debating between this and the legendary mkh416

Matt- I am probably not the most qualified to answer your question as I am just starting out - but in my opinion, you don't have to worry about matching mics when you are going from exterior to interior- the sound charateristics are so different that they are not supposed to intercut.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my first mics- and I ended up with a at4073a, an at4053b and a ntg-2-(becuse I needed one battery powered mic)- anyway- I think you would find that the at4073a is a great COMPANION to the 4053b. The mkh416 is a great mic and in my opinion a better mic than the 4073- it is also double the cost, but you should not worry about "cutting" the mics- if that was your only concern and not looking at cost difference then by all means go with the 416.

*disclaimer- I am a total newbie neophyte hobbyist- my personal experience with the mkh416 vs at4073a is limited to two hobby projects

Matt- I am probably not the most qualified to answer your question as I am just starting out - but in my opinion, you don't have to worry about matching mics when you are going from exterior to interior- the sound charateristics are so different that they are not supposed to intercut.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my first mics- and I ended up with a at4073a, an at4053b and a ntg-2-(becuse I needed one battery powered mic)- anyway- I think you would find that the at4073a is a great COMPANION to the 4053b. The mkh416 is a great mic and in my opinion a better mic than the 4073- it is also double the cost, but you should not worry about "cutting" the mics- if that was your only concern and not looking at cost difference then by all means go with the 416.

*disclaimer- I am a total newbie neophyte hobbyist- my personal experience with the mkh416 vs at4073a is limited to two hobby projects

Awesome! Very good advice there, thanks man!

• 3 years later...

I'm seriously considering an AT4073A and thought I'd bring up this old thread, would it be a worthwhile upgrade from my existing two shotguns I have now of a NTG2 and MK66? (aside from those two shotguns I own, I don't have much experience on any other higher end shotguns than that, aside from a 416 I occasionally use)

Every time I am in a situation where I don't want to use one of my "normal" mics, I pull this one out.... Situations of danger...dust, dirt..super loud explosions, possible smashing..potential water...etc... I am always surprised how decent it sounds...

I tried selling it brand new in the box and couldn't give it away... So I kept it as a danger go to mic...glad I did...