• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John I'm very interested in Coming Soon 1 - Unremarkable Ambiences looking forward to it!

Hi,

Unfortunately, due to the passing of my mother-in-law and having to help my wife deal with winding up the estate, it's going to be a bit later, rather than sooner.

I'll post when things start moving again.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board , but I'd like to add my recent "European Cars Pack One" to the list. It contains 235 files at 96Khz/24Bit of sounds recorded from a Renault Clio. It contains multi-channel synchronous recordings from the engine bay, the exhaust, interior, and road side-perspectives.

The pack aims to be comprehensive and so it includes drive-bys, approaches, aways, steady RPMs and lots of Foley sounds (interior and exterior)

Here's a Sound Cloud link to preview a selection of the sounds: http://soundcloud.co...ne-renault-clio

Its available now for £25, take a look at our website at http://www.rsaudiostore.com to check out the full metadata to see exactly what's included. There's also some videos of the pack in use. I hope you enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...

The Soundstorm library is the best bang for the buck for a one shot library. Sound ideas is recorded rather boringly and it's vaguely out of date. The HD general library is more of the same. The Hollywood Edge is decent.

All the independants are the best value. Frank Bry (the recordist), Tim Prebble (a hiss and a roar), Tonsturm, Rabbit Ears, Takoma, CASound, Chuck Russom are all great recordists and have great material for less than it would cost you to just master a similar amount of recordings. Boom library is good stuff but too expensive for me to justify. Always keep an eye on the designingsound blog.

A great library:

Soundstorm $6000

Various Independents $2000

A used 702 and a used 416 or pearl MS8 in a rycote $5000

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

www.soundsnap.com have all kinds of sounds from amb to fx etc. The quality is uneven but there's lots of useful stuff as well, and for $249 you can download all you want for a year. You have to do this sound by sound, though.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

After a long delay, there are some new libraries available from me: for the next couple of weeks, typing OFFER50 on checkout will get you 50% off the new libraries, or there's a Big Bag special which gets you all five libraries for $120.

Details here:http://www.johnleonard.co.uk/styled-5/immersive2.html

The site will get tidied up over the weekend, do forgive it looking a bit messy.

Cheers,

John

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually purchased this library this year. At the $1500 price it is good deal imo, but beware that it heavily favors "designed sfx". Tons of whooshes, tones and digital fx. Most of them are great if you don't have the means, or time to do digital fx yourself. The other thing that I was a little surprised by was that a large portion of the advertised fx are just low fi doubles of most of the library. In this day and age I feel like low fi versions are not that useful and counting them (over 50 gigs) as part of the advertised library size is misleading. But again, for $1500 it is still worth it, especially if you have any of the other core libraries to cover ambiences, etc.

For a new general, all purpose, library, something to compete with the venerable oldies Sound Ideas and Hollywood Edge, this might be worth to listen to: http://designingsound.org/2013/12/a-second-look-at-the-hybrid-library/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

www.soundsnap.com have all kinds of sounds from amb to fx etc. The quality is uneven but there's lots of useful stuff as well, and for $249 you can download all you want for a year. You have to do this sound by sound, though.

I've been using Soundsnap.com for many years now and until this week I've been very happy with them as a supplemental library when I can't create/record/use my own sounds.

The issue in question isn't resolved yet, but basically a sound I purchased from them was flagged by one of the auto-copyright-detection mechanisms over at SoundCloud (for track that was private for heaven's sake!) - and it was just one in track of 30-40 sounds.

SoundSnap has not responded to my requests (what do I expect for such a low price) for help in sorting it out and the "invoice/receipts" they provide are quite inadequate to prove I purchased that specific sound from them.

I'm hoping to get some satisfaction from them shortly, but I think it's buyer beware here as they could be rushing through doing their due-diligence on some sounds and creators may get caught out by it.

Fair warning of course. We'll save the tirade against SoundCloud for a thread more appropriate for it.

Thanks for all the other amazing suggestions though - I came here to see what my alternatives are and your combined experience has been a great help!

PS - I remixed the track in question - but it was no fun as it was client-approved and so a large, time-consuming headache!

Edited by Petros Kolyvas

• 3 weeks later...

I have had to "moderate" this post several times, I have contacted Alvaro privately, I am about to ban him altogether since he has not heeded any of my messages to him.

Jeff,

Not having seen Alvaro's posts, I'm concerned that I shouldn't be offering my effects on this section of the board: I do think my stuff is good and it's priced insanely low for the lists I'm on and the Dollar Deal is pretty good value too, but I'll post links whereever you say is correct, or not at all, if you prefer.

Cheers,

John

I was a Soundsnap contributor but not any more. I couldn't work with the one-off payment structure, particularly after noticing that several of my effects had been downloaded many thousands of times, for which I got one-off payments of $5. I think he's more interested in attracting the big names these days and the other contributor perk, which was life-long use of the library for free, disappeared some time ago. I have material with AudioSparx and Pond5, which brings in a few bucks, but selling direct gets me a much better return, although the e-commerce rates can be a bit steep for large amounts of data.

Regards,

John