DVD burning software for Mac Book

I'm about to buy a 744T recorder and want to buy a MacBook to burn deliverable CD-Rs as well as a platform for future Boom Recorder use. It's been suggested I use Roxio Toast as a burner program. Any comments? Do I need this software, or is there effective software already bundled in the Mac? This will be my first Apple computer. The other option is to use the SD/ Panasonic DVD RAM unit. Any insights welcome.

Chris Newton

Even using the SD branded DVD drive you will need some software to make your disks if you want to make those disks using your new MacBook. OS X and your MacBook can make these disks with the software built into the OS but many do use Toast for this purpose. I like Toast because it gives you way more options for formatting the disks (if you have to make a special disk for compatibility with post requirements) but it is not necessarily needed. Why not try burning disks with just the Mac and see if that works out for you.

-  Jeff Wexler

At one point there were issues with Fostex DV40s reading DVD-Rs made in the Mac Finder.  I don't know if they have been resolved, but using Toast was a good workaround.  I think the reason to get the SD DVDRAM is to use it hooked up to the 744, it's kind of a hassle to use it with a laptop and it isn't a fast burn.

Philip Perkins

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I will go with the Sound Devices burner. I'll probably still pick up the MacBook. A lot depends on post's workflow on my next project. It's a MOW on HD (two cameras some days). The requirement is to send audio to the camera for rushes and quick turnaround for offlining. Double-system tracks are'nt used until audio post, and are synched up at their facility. Up to now they've been quite happy with DAT. Probably still would be, but the old HHB is getting very long in the tooth. The 744T and my 442 will make a good combo. Can't afford a Cooper at this price point.

Cheers,

Chris Newton

• 1 year later...

If you are on a recent Macbook pro running at least ver. 10.4 or higher,  I can't understand why it would not work....

Check all your system preferences regarding "what to do upon inserting a DVD disc". I have mine set on "ask what to do"... although this is not your problem.

Sometimes you need for some reason to insert the disc a few times....  I have never understood this, but I have found it to be true...

Remember,  you should first have your files ready somewhere on your computer,  get them to a "Toast"( A Burning application),  "drag files" window by dragging the whole folder with your files into that drag files here window, choose format UDF for example (that's how I burn mine, and burn....  It will THEN ask you to insert the blank DVD-R... It needs to have a purpose before anything will happen with the insert of a blank DVD-R.

Note,  that if your just burning a few files, or under 700mb, just use a CD-R instead...

You should then be able to burn your files.

I know this will sound dumb,  but if it's an older G4 Power book 15" lets say, without the ability to burn a DVD... then that's your problem....

I'm sure someone will write in to tell me I'm nuts,  but that's how I see your mess.

Good luck,

BD

If your computer is not a Macbook Pro, are you sure you have a DVD-burner capable Laptop? Go to your apple at the top left of your desktop, drag down and click on "about this Mac".  Then click "more info"  Look down at the contents menu...  select  Hardware if that is not already opened... Click the tiny arrow so it points down, Does yours say "disc burning?  If so, it will list the types of discs your laptop will burn...

If you work in this business, and want to do this right, and you have the possibility to burn discs, get a dedicated Burning application such as "Toast"... It will make your life easier...

If your computer will not burn discs, don't fret, you can buy a MAC friendly burner no problem!!!!   Then you will be in business....

Good luck,

BD

You should be able to burn from the finder... Open the "System Preferences' panel & select "CDs & DVDs" and choose the appropriate action (open in finder). If you want to burn from the Finder all you have to do is drag & drop files to the DVD/CD icon on the desktop and when you're done adding files (& naming the disc) select the disc on the Finder and go to File/Burn (yourName)CD

Hi, Chris

In both Tiger and Leopard, burning discs in the finder is a snap.

Pull down the file menu, and select "New burn folder." This will create a burn folder which you can rename. The disc will be given that name. Drag any file you want on the disc into the folder. They will appear as aliases. Click the "Burn" radio button and you will be prompted to insert a disc.

The great thing about discs created via burn folders is that several (4 I think) directories are created for the disc, not just HFS+. So there are less issues about what platform the disc is headed for.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim and Sergio, 

Great info.... and tips,

I have never done it that way, but I love the Shortcut...  I guess with Toast you get more options...  I always as I said select Univ. disc format "udf",  That eliminates compatibility problems later...  I am not sure about the directories Jim mentioned, that in some way sounds like it eliminates some of the same problems afterward as well.  I continue to use that method because I have never had a problem... Creature of habit I guess. But I see no reason why these methods are not just as good.... Maybe better,  If someone has more definitive info, pass it on...

You might replace your optical drive. You have to have a PB500 or earlier (probably '03) for it to not burn DVD's.

As far as burning - Here's a snip from the guys at Modern Video. It's a couple of years old, so there may be mods to their procedures.

Stacy

DVD Compatibility for Dailies, Up-Date 05-02-07

Non-Mirroring Recording Systems:

Including the Sound Devices 744T, 702T, Nagra V, Metacorder, etc.

We CANNOT play DVD-RAM formatted with ANY MAC OS Format, Please use DVD-R or CD-R when using a MAC to burn disk.

Often, material from these recorders is prepared for delivery using a laptop computer. The material may be transferred to an external firewire or USB hard drive, but for us, the best way to deliver this material is burned to DVD-R or CD-R. When burned properly, these discs are playable directly on the DV40 for transfer. Material delivered on hard drive, flash memory, or improperly burned discs must be prepared properly before it can be transferred. Please warn us if you intend to deliver “NON PLAYABLE MEDIA”

Metacorder’s built-in burning functionality works great, no Toast required.

Portable, standalone disc burners like the Roadstor, often produce problematic discs for DV40 playback. If you do need to use one of these devices, please check with us first to see if your setup will work.

Recommended Burning Applications And Settings:

Toast for Macintosh –

Choose the DATA tab, and the Advanced button in the settings drawer to the side

For DVD-R, choose the DVD-ROM (UDF) setting.

For CD-R, choose the Mac & PC setting.

From the Recorder Menu, select Recorder Settings. Make sure that you select Write Disc under the Advanced tab. It’s also a good idea to have Verify Data selected as well.

Macintosh – Burning Discs in the Finder

You can burn CD-R discs in the Finder if you do not have Toast. DVD-R discs burned in the finder will not work in the DV40.

Easy CD/Media Creator for Windows (tested with Ver  7)

Set your software to burn DVD-R discs in UDF 1.02 format.

CD-R’s must be burned with an ISO 9660 bridge (usually Joliet Bridge is fine, because Roxio usually includes the ISO bridge with the Joliet bridge).

Not Recommended: Nero (for PC) and Dragon Burn (for Mac). Both these software packages have caused delivery problems in the past. UDF compatibility issues and non-standard disc burns are the most frequent problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, jumped into this thread late - but with my Macbook, it stopped burning DVD-/+R's and basically it needed a replacement drive.  Symptoms sound very similar to what the earlier poster was experiencing.  It kept acting like the media was bad - I had been using the cheap GQ DVD-R's from Fry's but tried all of the name brands, too just to be sure.  A visit to the Genius Bar solved the problem - with a replacement.

BTW, the burning software that comes in OSX is really slow because it does a verification after every burn and you can't turn it off.  On a big day when I had to burn about 4.5 GB of stuff, it took more than a half an hour at the end of the day - I had wrapped everything else and the Mac was still chugging along burning.  Toast is supposed to be much faster.

Phil

I don't know about the latest version of Toast, but if you are interested in burning 2 disks simultaneously with two burners and one program, then Dragon Burn will do the job.

Lately I have only needed to turn in the DVD-RAM master mix from the 744T for dailies, and ISOs on CF or later on a hard drive.  Toast is used for Boom Recorder when I need to use a DVD-R.  I bought Dragon Burn at one point when I planned to turn in two DVD-R, but never set things up that way.  I have seen Dragon Burn in action, and it seems to be good software. 

Robert