Pay rates

Guest repete86

Guest repete86

I'm just a beginner in this trade with a little experience and not alot of gear, but I think I'm getting better.  In addition, I know some people who want me to record on their sets.  So far I've only recorded no/low budget student films and one no-budget feature, but the project that's coming up this summer looks will be a paying gig (hopefully unless the finding falls through).  How much do you think I should charge as a competant but not great non-union sound mixer?  I will rent some equipment if the budget allows, but does anyone have any advice as to how much I should think about charging?

Thanks,

Pete

You can start by asking $550 for 10 hrs plus gear rental of $350 per day.

You probably won't get it but it is a starting point to negotiate from.

It works like this, they'll offer $50 a day and you want $900, somewhere between the two is a number you both can live with, stand firm in that the number will be closer to your number than theirs.

Eric

I have an idea, let's make a list of our favourite "Lines" producers have given us:

One of my favourites,  "well we don't have a big budget for this project, but listen......(voice usually drops a little in volume to add drama)  I've got this other one coming up, and it's a much better budget and I can get you on it, if you can do this one for me at the ridiculously low rate I'm asking of you !"

I have an idea, let's make a list of our favourite "Lines" producers have given us:

"I don't want to hear why it won't work, just fix it...NOW!" [translation: I don't have a clue...and wouldn't understand even if you explained it to a 4th grader, but my sphincter is constricting around my brain and I'm about to implode]

This was from a job with budget enough for 8 HD cams, including crane and steady-cam, but only for 1 soundman!

EB

One of my favourites,  "well we don't have a big budget for this project, but listen......(voice usually drops a little in volume to add drama)  I've got this other one coming up, and it's a much better budget and I can get you on it, if you can do this one for me at the ridiculously low rate I'm asking of you !"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The perfect answer is; "Tell you what, you pay me my rate for this job and I'll give you a discount on the the big budget job"

Eric

Guest repete86

My favorite line was "You want to discuss the financing?  Fine, let's take it outside!" to the director.  Luckily for the director though, the producer was really a nice guy and was just messing around when the director informed him that we were going over the budget and that theyre was nothing that could be done about it, but the director didn't kow that he wasn't too concerned about it and the producer was a former weightlifter who looked sort of like Henry Rollins. 

• 1 month later...

1.  Last day (night) of shoot -  Producer said  Sorry I forgot my checkbook.  We were shooting in the production company office in OC.  Next day producer wanted me to drive to Anaheim - I compromised on Venice.  After I finally got check for agreed amount AND I cashed the check inside the bank, I turned over the tapes and then told producer that if they had told me how they were going to edit, I told him I could have saved him at least $500.00 by using time code.

2.  Another "producer" asked me what I would do for screen credit.  I just silently stared at him.  He said it was rude not to give him an answer.  I told him that I was demostrating what I would do for screen credit.

3.  What is current scale in LA for one day inside the zone?

My favorite so far is, " A producer called and asked me my day rate and I told him he then calls back and says" This will be an easy job it should only take 50 percent of your effort to do it so if you only give it 50 percent can we only pay you half your day rate?". My response was no I only do sound one way with a 100 percent of my effort. About a week later he calls me back again and says, " After asking around A number of people told me you at 50 percent effort is better than some peoples 100 percent effort so will you do it for half your rate?"

2nd favorite, After telling them my equipment rental fee of 175.00 a day for 2 wireless, mixer, boompole and boom mic they asked me, " Do you have any lower quality equipment you could use and only charge us 75.00 a day for a rental fee?" My reply " Sure I have a built in microphone on my Webcam maybe I can save you on renting a camera as well  and just use it for both" Needless to say I didn't get the job.

Peter,

Negotiating for departament abudget is an artform in itself. I found that it helps to break things down, and submit a budget to the producer that fits the film. You will gain the upper hand if you can show the producer what he or she is paying for. Find out what the other departaments are up to, if camera rental is $30K and they are offering you $2000 for a month things are not right.

In addition to your wage, you must also consider certain other costs that come with the territory such as:

Equipment, different scripts have diffrent gear requirements. Wireless are expensive, plan carefully!

Expendables, dont ever try to cover these costs yourself, figure out what you will need and put it in your budget.

Other wages, Boom Ops, Cable, Playback, etc.

By doing this you show the producers that you are an organized professional and someone who is a natural choice for a dept head.

Dont go the cheap route, aim high and NEGOTIATE. You should also have a cut off point, a magic number that represents the lowest rate you are willing to accept.

Good Luck

Bartek