Nagra IV-S-TC Purchase

Thomas Beach

I am going to purchase a used Nagra IV-S-TC today. As a longtime 4.2L owner, I know what to look for in a Nagra. One question though where the IV-S-TC is concerned -- The unit I'm buying does not have the Pilot Cap for it (this is the cap which is inserted into the Pilot connector on the unit's right side. Is having this cap crucial to opening the Time Code/Pilot circuitry? According to the seller, he has never had the cap, and he has confirmed that the white flag shows up on the front of the unti when he goes to Test position. With my 4.2L, you absolutely need that TC Crystal cap for the Neo-Pilotone to operate. This is what prompts my concern and question. Any timley response would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I'd have to dig my Nagra out from the very back of my equipment closet to make a test to confirm. Mike Paul at LSC would be able to tell you on Monday.

But, in any event, there is no component in that Pilot connector cap; it just shorted two pins. So, if the recorder did need to have the cap in place and you had access to a paper clip and needle nose pliers, you could make it work.

David

Postscript- And, by the way, isn't this still a supported product from Nagra/Kudelski? I don't see the TC but the 4.2 is still listed on their website:

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/index.php

I expect that the jumper plugs are probably still available, albeit by special order. (And at Nagra prices)

Thanks, David. Yes, I was aware of the emergency jumper method of the paperclip. But when he tells me that the white flag comes up, I am assuming that the importance of the cap on the IV-S-TC is not the same as with the 4.2L? Then again... why was there a cap for this plug? Yes, I too checked the Nagra site and see that oddly, the 4.2L is still listed as current product while the IV-S-TC is not, and has not been for a long long time. I was going to call Steve George down at Nagra Nashville to inquire on Monday. But Mile Paul is a great recommendation as well. The seller is a full time sound recordist like myself and I already knew him somewhat. So I don't distrust the seller at all. THe problem is that he knows far less about the machine than I do, which requires me to investigate.

Tom

Note: The NAGRA 4S-TC has no built-in resolver as with the 4.2. You will need and external TC resolver for this to have same playback speed as your recorded speed. The resolver made by Cooper is good for this purpose but I think only pre used units are available at present moment. The resolver plugs in the port that you are looking the cover for.

Thank you for that important note. I had completely forgotten about the resolver issue.

But according to a CAS post by Glen Trew back in 2003, while the Cooper C.S.S. resolver is all that is needed to resolve IV-S-TC tapes, the 4-pin Jumper plug needs to be installed. Presume this means that the C.S.S. resolver will be useless unless I have the 4-pin jumper plug that is inserted into the Pilot tuchel port on the IV-S-TC, correct? (it appears the C.S.S. connectors are to both the Cue tuchel plug and then the LEMO TC I/O plug on the IV-S-TC)

post_old.gif 07-31-2003

Glen Trew

Re: cooper css time code resolver

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Laurent Lafran

Hello,

is the cooper C.S.S time code resolver enough to sync Nagra IV S tc tapes or do i need an additionnal Nagra QSLS synchroniser ?

What's the difference between cooper CSS and Nagra QSIP ?

Thanks by advance,

Laurent.

The Cooper resolver is all that you need for the IV-STC (assuming it has the 4-pin jumper plug installed).

If you already have the QSLS (FM Pilot resolver for the Nagra IV-S), you can make it resolve a timecode machine by adding the timecode interface by Nagra.

Glen Trew

I think during recording you won't need the jumper because the TC is self generated by the NAGRA or from an external source, which you input or jam-synch with the 5-pin Lemo . But you need the jumper PLUGGED to the Cooper CSS on playback resolving.

The Cooper CSS is stand alone . The QSIP and the QSLS plugs together and onto the NAGRA 4STC. The QSIP "converts" the TC into

synch pulse which the QSLS can only "read".