Fans on Red Epic

That's been my experience with Dragon... much less loud than Epic. Ya, I hear the fans while we roll on interviews. But on an up-to-date camera with a reasonable operator who doesn't put the camera into constant hair-dryer mode, fan noise has moved down my list of things to deal with. And looking at finished pieces, stuff sounds good. And the picture looks better than before, too.

Or put it this way: For something I'm producing next month, we'll probably be rolling on Dragon. I sure wouldn't have written that a couple years ago.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I find that for most instances dropping fan speed to 30-35 is quiet enough and then id set it to go nuts in standby to cool it down between takes.

Often during long takes in warmer locations, the camera will save itself from meltdown and kick in once it gets too hot. It can get annoying for directors doing interview or long takes when this happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that for most instances dropping fan speed to 30-35 is quiet enough and then id set it to go nuts in standby to cool it down between takes.

Often during long takes in warmer locations, the camera will save itself from meltdown and kick in once it gets too hot. It can get annoying for directors doing interview or long takes when this happens.

Hello Lee,

If you don't want to go throught the pain of cooling down during takes and hear a loud fan, or if you wish to shoot with the Epic (and Scarlet) for long interviews, I urge you to see what the FanPlate can make for you. I've been shooting documentries since 3 years without any sound problem. 

Greatings.

Patrick