NP-style batteries

bendybones

I'm looking to buy a new battery to supplement my NP65 for powering my Nomad.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying an external battery?

I currently have:

HawkWoods NP65 (14.5V 65Watts).

HawkWoods SL-1 Lithium Charger (NP35-NP70)

Ideally I would like to be able to charge it from my existing charger but I suppose eventually I will get a 2-bay charger anyway.

The website seems a bit shady. Lots of promises but very little real information...

Yes the website's not great, it's a small company.

I bought one NPLU84 then fairly soon after another and a charger and have had them in constant use now for about a year - the 84Wh is very nice to have, I'm just about to buy two more......

How does one compare this

Nominal Voltage 14.8V, Rated Capacity 84Wh (from NPLU84 specs)

with this

Output: 65W 4.4Ah 14.4V (From NP65 specs)

The first battery supplies more watts at slightly higher nominal voltage compared to the second. The voltage on both (indeed, on any 14V Liion battery) will fluctuate from 16.5V+ down to below 13V.

If you're still looking at brands, you should check out global media pro. They have a 65w np1 for $100. The quality is as good if not better than IDX and most other brands. The only weird part is they only take payment via wire transfer, so figure $30 on top plus another $100 or so for insured DHL 3-day delivery (only option they offer. Considering they arrive from china, the service is pretty good!) They also seem to be the only manufacturer who ships directly from the factory, so in theory their batteries should have the longest service life. I have 4 of their NP-1s, and will happily shell out for more when I need them.

DL

Thanks for the suggestion.

With delivery tho, that would work out more expensive than getting a 2nd Hawk-Woods (I am in Ireland).

So it would need to be a much better battery to make it worth my while.

Unless I'm reading you wrong it sounds like there's not much in the difference between it and the Hawk-Woods.

The first battery supplies more watts at slightly higher nominal voltage compared to the second. The voltage on both (indeed, on any 14V Liion battery) will fluctuate from 16.5V+ down to below 13V.

If you're still looking at brands, you should check out global media pro. They have a 65w np1 for $100. The quality is as good if not better than IDX and most other brands. The only weird part is they only take payment via wire transfer, so figure $30 on top plus another $100 or so for insured DHL 3-day delivery (only option they offer. Considering they arrive from china, the service is pretty good!) They also seem to be the only manufacturer who ships directly from the factory, so in theory their batteries should have the longest service life. I have 4 of their NP-1s, and will happily shell out for more when I need them.

DL

Yes I've got a global Media Pro NP1 as well and it's very slightly fatter than Hawkwoods and DSM and is a devil of a job to remove from my Fusion and a noticeably tight fit in both my chargers so I didn't buy any more......

Yes I've got a global Media Pro NP1 as well and it's very slightly fatter than Hawkwoods and DSM and is a devil of a job to remove from my Fusion and a noticeably tight fit in both my chargers so I didn't buy any more......

Interesting, I've never used them in a Zaxcom recorder. The thickness hasn't made any difference using them in cups... It might even make it harder from them to slip out!

DL

How much are these, and how would I order? Maybe I am missing something but their website has no way to order or even see a price.

Yes I know it's terribly old fashioned but you email or call them :)

I think the batteries are assembled in relatively small quantities from Japanese and possibly parts from other countries (the chip in the charger for example is American I think) so supply might be subject to some currency fluctuation and hence no website price possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

How much are these, and how would I order? Maybe I am missing something but their website has no way to order or even see a price.

Hi I own DSM we have dealers all over Europe, The average price for our NPLU84 is GBP120.00. We have been in business for over 30 years

Welcome to "owner of DSM power" (don't know your name yet). Looking at the website it does appear that you have an excellent product line of useful NP-1 style (and other) batteries. It would be useful for all those interested if you could post in the "Manufacturers & Dealers" section of the site, giving us more detailed product descriptions, pricing and methods of purchase.

The website seems a bit shady. Lots of promises but very little real information...

Hi I own DSM, I thought our updated website said what our products do on the can !

We have been around for over 30 years and made the first Li-ion NP1's. We know sound kit and know our NPLU84 batteries fit all sound kit perfectly and don't stick in. Please email me what information I should put on the site ?

Welcome to "owner of DSM power" (don't know your name yet). Looking at the website it does appear that you have an excellent product line of useful NP-1 style (and other) batteries. It would be useful for all those interested if you could post in the "Manufacturers & Dealers" section of the site, giving us more detailed product descriptions, pricing and methods of purchase.

Hi Jeff My name is Dave Martland I am new to the site and will certainly do as you ask, but we don't have any dealers in the U.S

Hi Jeff My name is Dave Martland I am new to the site and will certainly do as you ask, but we don't have any dealers in the U.S

Welcome, Dave. JWSOUND has many members from all over the world, so a list or a link to dealers for your products outside the U.S. could still be useful. Just a suggestion as the site if being used more and more as a great resource for all the things we use in our sort of work.

I think most of us here will want to know how to buy one and get it shipped to the US.

14volts and 84wH in one np1 is pretty excellent if the battery truly lives up to the spec.

I'm also curious about the IDX charger compatibility. Is that the best charger to use with the DSM NP1s?

Thanks!

I'm basically in the market for a battery system. I'm torn between some sort of AB Gold Mount, NP-1, or roll-my-own solution. I would say that NP-1 with 84Wh is close enough to the AB specs that I'd give this solution a look, assuming I could actually get it in the U.S.