Slate with a 'Sound' Section?

Den Nic

Anybody know of any manufacturer who makes a whiteboard slate that has a 'Sound' section for the name of the sound mixer along the the Directer and Camera Op? I was thinking I would be well served by having a dumb slate with me as it is frustrating how many camera people and productions claim they don't need one (or don't own one for whatever reason), so I thought I'd get one where I could put my name on it.

Or maybe a manufacture that makes them custom ordered?

Suggestions?

Anybody know of any manufacturer who makes a whiteboard slate that has a 'Sound' section for the name of the sound mixer along the the Directer and Camera Op? I was thinking I would be well served by having a dumb slate with me as it is frustrating how many camera people and productions claim they don't need one (or don't own one for whatever reason), so I thought I'd get one where I could put my name on it.

Or maybe a manufacture that makes them custom ordered?

Suggestions?

I like your thinking.Sound is at least 1/2 of the movie experience,if you don't think so just turn off the sound.

J.D.

About 10-12 years ago, I remember one of the busy commercial sound mixers (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten) used to highlight his name near the DP's name on the slate. Maybe it's ego, but who cares? It stuck with me for a long time, so when I finally bought my own Denecke slates, I always made sure I had a small yellow label with my sound company name on it, in a discreet spot above the date. Nobody's ever noticed or complained about it.

" Sound is at least 1/2 of the movie experience "

although I dislike trying to set percentages...

Slates are about zero part of the movie experience for the audience...

" a pessimistic attitude? "

that is why the names were originally put on slates...

" Ego would be the only reason to have your name on the camera slate, on the front, definitely have your name, phone number and address on the back of the slate, if it's your slate. "

in other words: style or substance... 8)

Slates are about zero part of the movie experience for the audience...

Unless, of course, you're one of the many people that appreciate synchronized sound.

" a pessimistic attitude? "

that is why the names were originally put on slates...

I'm sure that a pessimistic attitude had very little to do with the reason names were originally put on slates.

Also, the point of this slate was where the low budget productions had failed to provide/bring one (It's becoming increasingly common due to ipad alternatives, Plural Eyes, laziness), so I would bring mine, hence the editor actually having a slate to go off of instead of 'oh we'll just use plural eyes etc etc' and hating everybody in production, so yes it'd be my slate and it'll have my name filled in for the Sound section. It's a little bit of ego, little bit of practicality, and a little bit of pride in your work. IMO