Upcoming documentary about a particular Neve console

Jim Feeley

Michael was one of the very few who strayed from the basic mainstream film-style mixers at that time. Nelson Stoll (I think still uses his Neve, not really sure) and if I remember correctly, David Schneiderman also had a Neve. The mixing panel they all used was a very rare model, a portable housed in a sort of suitcase-type case. I don't remember what the powering requirements were but I think it was all DC. Michael Evje was also the first to design and build an upright style cart, the type that so many have now with sliding shelf for the mixer, etc.

Below is an image, I believe, of Nelson Stoll's Neve setup.

post-1-0-55667800-1342746990.jpg

Looks like Neve 5500 series "suitcase" mini consoles which were specifically designed for broadcast use, and not the same as the larger format desks that used 1272 based amps, most famously in the 1073 and 1084 cassette configurations. It isn't such a stretch to see these types of mixers used for film production, as it is not too far off from their originally designed purpose (depending on what decade it is).

Cool Neve stories and pix, R, J, and T. Thanks.

About Sound City: A whole film about a studio and board seems like it might be a bit much, or just some long-form hagiography. But I now have more faith that the Sound City doc might be a fun watch. The film's editor is a director/editor who's work I really like, Paul Crowder (Dogtown & Z-Boys, Once In A Lifetime, etc). Like lots of good editors, Paul started out as a drummer and musician (not always the same thing :-)) and still plays I think. So he potentially gets what's what. Here's hoping it's good...

Those are "suitcase" Neves originally made for "outside" radio broadcasts. Nelson has had his since the early 1980s, but has modded it extensively over the years. Their design is related, but different in important ways from the AC powered non-portable small Neves like the Melbourne (much sought after for music work). I know of other mixers who used these but eventually retired them when they became too much of a maintenance headache--they are quite long in the tooth now.

phil p

Michael was one of the very few who strayed from the basic mainstream film-style mixers at that time. Nelson Stoll (I think still uses his Neve, not really sure) and if I remember correctly, David Schneiderman also had a Neve. The mixing panel they all used was a very rare model, a portable housed in a sort of suitcase-type case.

Wow, I know that board very well -- we used them at Complete Post in the telecine rooms for over a decade. Wonderful-sounding board, and very costly as I recall (almost $20K). Not a lot of discrete outputs -- I think it was two main and two aux. We eventually replaced them all with Yamaha 03Ds, simply because of the routing and multiple output flexibility.

Looks like a cool doc. Sound City is one of the Temples of Music Studios. I will buy it for sure.

Michael Evje is a documentary unto himself. I am very happy to know him. So many great stories about and from him. The first time I heard a Schoeps was when I visited him on a set. Good memories.

CrewC

Richard,

Randi California last name was actually Wolfe.He took the name California from the street he grew up on in Venice.In my opinion, he was one of the best guitarists in the world.The guitar he used on "I gotta a line on you" was a Danelectro.

J.D.