The Dark Knight Rises Lectro [Spoiler?]

bmfsnd

So in the football stadium sequence, Bane is seen holding an SM style Lectrosonics transmitter clutched in his hand, as he announces the fate of the crowd's crippling future.

Without knowing what it is, most viewers would blow it off so...

Blooper or Intentional?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He picks the comms headset off one of the officials/coaches. I'm not sure they would use lectrosonics gear (particularly an SMV) to communicate, but there would be a wireless transmitter or walkie-talkie deal on them, so it kind of makes sense... Good advertising, and the sound team didn't have to hide a pack! (not that it would be terribly difficult on Bane)

I noticed more was what I assumed was the mic mounted inside his mask - the cable running down the back of his neck in a few shots...

Football refs frequently wear Lectro transmitters to broadcast the calls.

There you go. Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't notice the cable running down Bain's neck. I would imagine 100% of his dialogue was rerecorded in post, but perhaps not.

I remember reading somewhere that test audiences couldn't understand Bane's dialogue, and Warner Bro's were pushing to get it dubbed, while Nolan was pushing for it to be left the way it was, just tweaked. I'd say they went somewhere in between, but there's definitely a lot of processing done to the voice, and it's much 'wider' than the rest of the dialogue... I found it a little odd, to be honest.

A ref wearing a Lectro transmitters with a switched headset mic isn't unusual.

As for Nolan, I thought somebody said he pushes for production dialog. There was a story about one of the other bat suits being designed with a way to hide a transmitter and lav cables. Also there is some story bout most/all of Heath Ledger's dialog being production sound. Not sure if that's accurate, but I hope so.

If you can use production dialog on an action movie like that, it's a lesson to other films that it is indeed possible.

Also there is some story bout most/all of Heath Ledger's dialog being production sound. Not sure if that's accurate, but I hope so.

Heath's dialogue in the 'prologue' (bank heist) of Dark Knight was ADR, due to the extremely noisy IMAX camera used. The rest of the film is production track, as by the ADR stage for the remainder of the film, Heath had passed away.

Ah.... the noise of the IMAX camera and the size of the blimp. I recorded what was supposed to be the first IMAX sync dialogue drama back in 2000. The camera department timed that putting blimp on and off added 20-25 minutes to the mag change. The films director and I worked really had to deliver location dialogue that could be cleaned up and used.

Are the current gen IMAX cameras quieter than those circa 2000?

Are the current gen IMAX cameras quieter than those circa 2000?

They would probably be the same cameras... When filming for The Dark Knight (#2 in the series) began, there were 15 IMAX cameras operational in the world. By the time shooting finished, there were only 13 as they destroyed 2 in the chase scenes.

On different note, I read that most of the movie was shot on IMAX. Has any one seen it at an IMAX cinema?

According to Wikipedia: The Dark Knight Rises featured over an hour of footage shot in IMAX (by comparison, The Dark Knight contained 28 minutes).

I saw the last one at an IMAX theater and it looked great. Yes, the aspect ratio does change. I think the Bluray disc changes aspect ratios too. I have not seen the new one yet.

They would probably be the same cameras... When filming for The Dark Knight (#2 in the series) began, there were 15 IMAX cameras operational in the world. By the time shooting finished, there were only 13 as they destroyed 2 in the chase scenes.

Dark Knight Rises:

IMAX MSM 9802, Hasselblad Lenses

Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision C- and E-Series Lenses

Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio, Panavision System 65 Lenses

The Dark Knight:

IMAX MKIII, Hasselblad Lenses

IMAX MSM 9802, Hasselblad Lenses

Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Panavision C-, E-Series and Super High Speed Lenses

Panavision Panaflex Platinum, Panavision C-, E-Series and Super High Speed Lenses

This is 2009, but still neat: http://gizmodo.com/5271638/a-rare-tour-of-imax-cameras

On different note, I read that most of the movie was shot on IMAX. Has any one seen it at an IMAX cinema?

I saw it yesterday at an IMAX theater and, aside from it being too freaking LOUD, it was great. The non-IMAX footage blends in well with the IMAX stuff but you can definitely see where they've used IMAX. Maybe 30-45 minutes too long with many plot points that are too close to some in Batman Begins but as spectacle it was impressive. Anne Hathaway looks excellent in a form fitting leather outfit.

Haha I saw that Lectro SM in that scene. Awesome!

I noticed more was what I assumed was the mic mounted inside his mask - the cable running down the back of his neck in a few shots...

Think that was just scarring makeup effects?

I also saw the film at IMAX and while we're picking the film apart... I think Bane's dialogue was mixed too loud compared to other voices. And the scene where Alfred says he's going to leave Bruce, as Alfred is approaching on the wide shot in the corridor his dialogue is clearly on a boom that's miles away. Also the low frequency sounds - mostly music, atmospheric rumbles etc - were way too loud and sometimes dissonant causing weird phasing sounds. But you know what, who cares. The film was totally boss. 10 points Mr Nolan.

I just saw it last night (in IMAX) and I think I noticed the same thing as you... one of the first scenes with Bane. Front shot of him, but a beige wire coming down the back of the mask. Pretty definitely a lav wire. I bet a small handful of people not in our line of work would notice that.

Haha I saw that Lectro SM in that scene. Awesome! Think that was just scarring makeup effects? I also saw the film at IMAX and while we're picking the film apart... I think Bane's dialogue was mixed too loud compared to other voices. And the scene where Alfred says he's going to leave Bruce, as Alfred is approaching on the wide shot in the corridor his dialogue is clearly on a boom that's miles away. Also the low frequency sounds - mostly music, atmospheric rumbles etc - were way too loud and sometimes dissonant causing weird phasing sounds. But you know what, who cares. The film was totally boss. 10 points Mr Nolan.

On the back I thought it was some sort of scar, but maybe that actually hid the lav wire? There were some back shots that showed the scar but I did not see the wire go from the scar to the mask.

I also noticed that very boomy wide shot. As soon as it happened it caught me by surprise and then I remembered your comment.

I didn't think Bane's voice was too loud. It's probably a weird mix. Batman always uses the raspy voice, Bane has that mask on, everyone else talking or yelling.

I didn't notice the SMA in the credits.

I can't imagine doing continuity, or vanities, on a film that hectic on a 17" or 30" monitor that is going to be seen on an IMAX screen. Those people have my respect! The skin+hair detail you could see in The Avengers (Alexa) on an IMAX screen was mind boggling. I could count hairs in an eyebrow or see details of pores (or notice powder on their skin).

Overall I really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises. Worth seeing in IMAX. They make great use of scenic shots. I have a feeling the beautiful IMAX imagery is why these last two Batman movies feature so much taking place in the daylight. The flyovers are amazing looking. The city scenes with the giant wide shots look great. I mean wide as in rooftop or helicopter.

Football refs frequently wear Lectro transmitters to broadcast the calls. I just saw Batman today and also noticed the transmitter. It all made sense to me. I didn't notice the cable running down Bain's neck. I would imagine 100% of his dialogue was rerecorded in post, but perhaps not.

Really?!?! Tried to convince myself that it made sense but couldn't buy it. First: Yes, Refs use transmitters on the field... Transmitters that they can turn off and on easily during a game. Not an SMV. Second: did suddenly the SMV become a 2-way? Because that mic Bane was speaking into definitely had a set of cans attached!

Too bad Bane didn't take out the kid singing the national anthem, could've thrown an HM on that baby.