K-Tek internally cabled booms........

Jon Gilbert

Are really really good!

OK, so most of you knew that already. I'm a long term Ambient and Panamic user, favouring external cabling, but I've been using a K-Tek this week on loan, and it's a cracker. I thought at first it seemed flimsy and was surprised it bent slightly at full extension with a 416 and Softie on it (it's about 9 feet long) The Ambient and Panamic poles I use wouldn't bend if a chimp was swinging on the end. but they are rather heavy.....

The K-tek is light, well made, the cable inside is rattle-free (unlike other internally cabled poles I've used) Running and gunning round London this week on Olympic based work, it's been a pleasure to use. I'm going to buy one as soon as this loaner has to go back.

I will attest to their greatness. I own two aluminum poles and a graphite one as well. Ive even purchased a couple of other k-tek poles as gifts to sound friends. My original pole was working with no problems until a month or so ago when a TSA agent managed to get it snapped in half, but this just goes to show you how great the company is. K-tek had me send it in and repaired it and shipped it back for free. I couldnt believe it!

I think that with such a great product, and such amazing service, at this point I have no need to look into other poles, because I will definitely be a customer for life.

• 2 weeks later...

I too find the ktek books to be quite prone to handling noise, but so is my psc which I hold very dear.

IMO, it's all about technique, which I don't doubt you have. My psc for example doesn't have nearly as quiet of an internal cable as the ktek, but in time I got used to it... As in I learned how to manage to not get it to rattle or whatever.

I also almost never grip the boom and will try to keep my hands on the collars at all time. I know that the handling noise on the psc is a bit brighter, and on the ktek it's a bit.. Does one say rubber?

I can't say which one I like the best.. Kteks are just great in every way, build wise I'd say they're far superior than any other brand, but I love my lightweight psc for drama stuff. Would never think of using any other boom on doco or eng than ktek. Never.

David, could it be that for the klassic poles, the handling noise is bigger because of it being in one piece? I mean is it "better" on the stage poles?

I wouldn't call it better or worse. The main difference with the Klassic Stage poles is that the top head piece is removable. The cable and the graphite is the same in terms of material. BUT...here is some info:

We use a total of six different sized sections on our boom poles. The smallest diameter section is known as section 1, the next largest size is section 2, and so on. Most of our boom poles use sections 1 through 5. Poles like the 152, 202...the Klassic poles you are all familiar with use 5 sections. Now, we do have 6 section poles called Traveler poles. The idea of these is to use more sections so you can have a small collapsed length for traveling (hence the name Traveler pole). Because we needed a beefier head piece for the Stage poles, we use sections 2 through 6 for them instead of 1 through 5. This means that the smallest section of the Stage pole has a larger diameter than the regular Klassic poles. I can't say for sure this will give you less handling noise because of the larger diameter sections or not. Having a removable head piece really won't make any difference because once you have secured it, it is secure.

Good tech support. I had an issue with my pole after the first 6 or 7 months, they took it back and fixed it right up. I also had an issue with the soft-grips they use on the graphite poles...so they replaced them with the metal honeycomb cuffs, and now i don't have to worry about it peeling it off. Helps that they are based in america.

Have to say that after 10 days of using this pole, I'm finding a couple of issues, more handling noise, and it's not so easy to close it up sometimes. Am I not keeping it straight enough? Is the cable twisting inside and causing more noise?

Jon, it helps to collapse it from the thickest/lowest section first, rather than from the thinnest. The coiled cable shrinks better into the small section first that way, and there's no tangling. Also, I'm somewhat paranoid about making sure none of the sections turns onto itself, thus tangling the coiled cable inside.

HTH,

BK

Jon, it helps to collapse it from the thickest/lowest section first, rather than from the thinnest. The coiled cable shrinks better into the small section first that way, and there's no tangling. Also, I'm somewhat paranoid about making sure none of the sections turns onto itself, thus tangling the coiled cable inside.

HTH,

BK

That does help BK, I've found that out by trial and error, but it's good to know that I'm not just imagining that it helps, thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...

On k-tek you can just take off the bottom and let it untangle and put bottom back on.

On other brands you loosen the last knuckle (not the bottom) all the way and then unscrew the bottom by spinning the bottom section, not spinning the bottom XLR part. Let the XLR untangle, then attach the bottom the same way.

Robert

They def arent rattle free, but they arent super prone to making noise either. I love the two I have however K-Tek really does need to invest the money into ading the anti-rotation feature into their CF tube collars like most CF tripod legs have. That would eliminate most of these coiled cable tangle issues people end up getting.

Love my K-Tek boom. Only time she gets tangled up is when I've had her fully extended. Then I retract all sections but the thickest and unscrew the bottom, then I disconnect the mini-XLR and pull and twist the internal cable until it sits fine inside the pole. Only takes a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it. Happens like once a month or so.

Regarding handling and cable noise, I have nothing but the outmost respect for the K-Tek design. Maybe there are even better booms available, but my K-Tek lets me get the job done without any hinder.

Cheers

Fred