mixpre & rechargeable AA's, will they fit?

bleueblancrouge

hi,

i'm going to contact sound devices on monday, but i just wanted to find out from you guys about the problem with using rechargeable AA's in the mixpre with the tube being too narrow and/or the end cap not picking up power.

i've read posts where the batteries get stuck inside & the cap connector not making proper contact. i've also read that people sent them into sound devices to get modified at a cost of 80 to 100$.

do the newer manufactured ones (just before the release of the mixpre-d) have those problems fixed or not? i wonder if at a certain serial number this problem was rectified by sound devices.

i would appreciate if anyone who can shed a light. i'm trying to find a used model and would like to know if i need to search for a particular serial or date of manufacture.

cheers,

P.

Edited by bleublancrouge

I had a 302 and now MixPre-D.

I have used some of my Powerex...but some of them the outer plastic wrapper is pealing up and they want to stick.

I also have used Duracell rechargeables and they are ok, but not as good a battery.. seems like high failure rate.

I'm down to using Energizer Lithiums. Beats them all.

Also have used this 8xAA battery holder with a Hirose on the end of it. Ran 15 hours with rechargables and 2 +48VDC mics and headphones.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/BH-38U/8AA-BATTERY-HOLDER-W/LEAD/1.html

Use Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They fit in everything.

Eneloop XX get stuck in my 302. Powerex Imedion do not.

However, since no one else has mentioned it, depending on the age of your mix-pre/302, you may have issues with the spring not making good contact with the first battery in the tube. Also due to the fact that rechargeables have a paper surround on the positive end, whereas disposable batteries have a metal one. SD eventually rectified this design flaw, but I'm not sure of the specifics, might be worth a phonecall or email.

...you may have issues with the spring not making good contact with the first battery in the tube.

ah, that's what i was meaning by the end cap problem (i just couldn't remember). and thanks for the info on SD fixing the problem. will discuss with them.

thanks RP, i'm going to use eneloops as well. but not the "xx" soundslikejustin.

cheers,

P.

Somebody here on the forum started a thread where you could have a look at batteries measurements a few months ago exactly for that "will it fit?" purpose ( kind of a visual data bank )... Maybe you could find your brand already measured there ?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks macrecorder, i heard about that trick. some are worried about it and others are in the same camp as you.

I've got the problem with rechargeables as well with my MixPre-D.. what kind of worries this hack has.. ? less humidity shielding etc or?

the lithium ones go in well but have to bump always to get the last battery out.. it's like a muscle reflex every now on then..

and those lithium ones.. can imagine one getting really stuck there when I manage to forget a pair there after discharging em..

have nice collection of half-used lithium AAs... need easier recycling here in NZ for em..