Denecke Smart Slate

jacquesstar

Okay, so I finally bought a Denecke smart slate.

The instructions and diagram on the back are decent, but, I need some help please.

Camera is a Canon C300, 23.98 frame rate, jamming slate and TASCAM HD-P2 recorder to camera.

Bottom switch is on generate, which I understand jams to an external source if you plug it into TC out while the unit is off, and then you power it back on, so that you can keep the slate jammed once you disconnect it, correct?

Frame rate, I couldn't find a way to set for 23.98, so I had the rotary dial set to position 3, which is 24fps but then I set it to position 5, which says "auto" and it worked, jammed to the camera just fine.

Will this auto setting automatically set the frame rate?

Thanks for your help!

Jacques,

You may already know this but there is no such thing as 23 fps or 23.98 fps. They are both shorthand ways of saying 23.976 fps.

Many people will say they're shooting at 24 fps when what they are actually running at is 23.976, so watch out for that. Most "24 frame" video is really shot at 23.976, but there are sometimes projects shot at a real 24 fps.

Yes auto will work, however, which version of the slate do you own? Usually position "4" is 23.976 fps...

Position 4 is what I have always used for 23.976 (23.98) setting on Denecke slate. I have been advised to NOT use Auto setting, particularly when jamming from a Deva. There is a little compatibility problem between the Deva's TC output and the reporting feature of the Denecke slate. You will often see an Error alert when jamming with 23.976 code. It is jammed properly and there is no error in terms of TC integrity or stability, just an error in the reporting.

...and...you understand that the HDP2 will not hold accurate TC sync to the slate by itself? Of the 3 devices mentioned, only the TC slate will hold sync for any long length of time (unless the camera is an Alexa). The HDP2 is particularly inaccurate on its internal clock. The generally accepted way to make this setup work for a non-Alexa camera would be to put a Lockit on the camera (jammed to the slate) and a TC generator like SB2 or 3 also jammed to the slate on the HDP2. That setup will hold frame accurate sync for 8 hours or so.

phil p

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Yes, the Slate is a TS-C, and I have switched to position "4" even though it is 23.976. Thanks.

I do not have a lockit box. I may buy one in the future, but this shoot starts tomorrow. My plan is to jam the slate to the Canon C300 camera, and jam the HD-P2 to the camera as well, and keep it connected to the TC out of the camera, so that It will stay jammed off the camera while we roll. These are mostly interviews with some b-roll, so they shouldn't last longer than one or two hours each.

Stacy, you mean gigs as an A2?

I found out that the TASCAM has an inherent flaw in it's design, and will not jam to 23.976. It's a bug. I am going to call them about it.

When I occasionally use an HD-P2 as a backup recorder, I continuously jam it from my Deva at 23.976 and it works fine. It's all in getting the settings right.

When I occasionally use an HD-P2 as a backup recorder, I continuously jam it from my Deva at 23.976 and it works fine. It's all in getting the settings right.

Yes, and the HDP2 has been a very reliable recorder for me, plastic shell and all. What it is not is accurate sync-wise without some external help.

phil p

Only slightly off-topic...

I accidentally left both of my Denecke SB-2a boxes on last night after a long day's shoot, so this afternoon I decided to compare them since they were last jammed roughly 24 hours ago. They were about 1/20 of a frame apart.

Denecke rules!

Are these the ones you hand-tweaked (along with your nomad)? And how do you measure the drift (or in this case, lack of)? :)

As Jim figured, I measured them via a GR-1. These two boxes were updated and calibrated by Denecke some time back and were still rock solid when I did my "hand-tweaking" recently, so I didn't adjust them or the GR-1. I did adjust the TS3 (it was still within specs, but just barely) and I also adjusted the Nomad and Deva V.

I love having a good calibration tool. It makes the geek in me extremely happy.

As Jim figured, I measured them via a GR-1. These two boxes were updated and calibrated by Denecke some time back and were still rock solid when I did my "hand-tweaking" recently, so I didn't adjust them or the GR-1. I did adjust the TS3 (it was still within specs, but just barely) and I also adjusted the Nomad and Deva V.

I love having a good calibration tool. It makes the geek in me extremely happy.

Thanks for that. I guess one benefit of the Ambient system is that the Clockit Controller can do the tuning and checking for you (if you werent brave enough to do it yourself - I know I'm not!) without sending it back to the manufacturer.

Thanks John

• 2 years later...

I was just curious where i could find a manual to the denecke TS-3. I just recently bought one used but it didn't have the sticker on the back detailing all the frame rates and I wanted to know more. I think I seen an image of the sticker in one of these forums but I couldn't find it. I went to the denecke website but it only had the brochure not a manual. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I was just curious where i could find a manual to the denecke TS-3. I just recently bought one used but it didn't have the sticker on the back detailing all the frame rates and I wanted to know more. I think I seen an image of the sticker in one of these forums but I couldn't find it. 

Here's the quickie diagram I have glued to the backs of my Denecke TS-3 slates:

Denecke%20TS3%20diagram_zps9lfyerky.jpg?