Update on Nomad

Jimmyf

I ordered a Nomad 4 channel recorder through B&H Photo and was told 10 weeks wait time. When the 10 weeks were up I emailed B&H to see what was up and they were told by a Zaxcom rep wait another 10 weeks. So when that 10 weeks was up I emailed again. This time I was told the order was cancelled. Wow, I got a full refund through B&H within 1 day so props to them for that but in the 20 weeks I waited with my money tied up in the Nomad I had to use a cheap recorder for a ton of projects. Disappointing but I'm glad I got my money back so I could get a decent recorder.

Anyone heard of this happening to others?

It is a shame that B&H did not contact you so you could order the unit from one of our dealers.

B&H is not a Zaxcom dealer. It is unfortunate that they advertised our products as if they were a dealer. If anyone has a current order in with them they will not be able to fill it. Please goto www.zaxcom.com and select a dealer to contact from our domestic or international dealer list.

Glenn

The members of my tribe there at B&H probably disliked some of the dealear agreement items and "plans" set forth by ZAX.... Kudos to them for just saying no.... They are very wise people over there... they saw something they did not care for that would not directly benefit them.. The math did not work out... Nothing bad on Zax's end, just business... They are smart enough to realize it is a specialized item that most people would buy from dedicated Pro sound mom and pop outlets.. Probably not enough of a profit margin, who knows..

Why they waited 10 weeks... that's easy... 10 weeks of intrest... like any good tribsman... ;D

When buying an item like Nomad I would go to a professional audio dealer. The price is going to be the same regardless of where you buy it. Plus you get expert knowledge and personal service and more importantly post sales support.

Nothing against B&H - I spend plenty of money there - but some items are better off bought from a mom and pop store rather than a big box store.

Just my 2 cents.

Go to BnH to buy a computer screen or a projector (or maybe a camera I guess). Pro Audio Items are best bought from the people who actually know how to operate them. No offense to BnH, but their audio department probably makes the majority of it's money selling $100 computer audio interfaces.

my .02

Greg

Sorry to hear that happened to you Jimmy. Can't imagine how frustrating it is to have your money in limbo like that. Forget calling B&H for help, or to get some Nomad specific cables made up. I bought a used Canon 40D from B&H and it was a great deal, but I bought my Nomad from a dealer that specializes in this stuff.

I think a Nomad is an even more specialized (at the moment) tool for video audio than any of the SD recorders even, which see a lot of use in other fields as well as ours. A speciality tool demands a specialty dealer. Prosumers can buy their DSLRs from BH, they understand those very well. For a Nomad you need an expert--not just a pro audio dealer but one who specializes in audio for video. There aren't many of those, and they are mostly in NY and LA (yes, and Nashville). If you buy a recorder from them remember that they make only a very small markup on things like Nomads, and buy some other higher-markup stuff from them too to help them along.

phil p

• 3 weeks later...

I needed a Nomad and went to Trew and had one that day. Thankfully they had one in stock but it seems like calling around to some of the specialized audio dealers in the country is probably the best way to go/start. They also had someone there who knew what was going on with it to answer (in person) the questions I had. I don't believe that you would get this kind of service at B&H, even if they sold Zaxcom equipment. You'll also have a way better time may something go wrong or some sort of problem come up if you contact the specialized audio store you bought it from. Just my opinion on the situation.