Maxwell Zuca cart

Geoff Maxwell

Here's some info and pics of my experience building on a Zuca frame.

Notes:

1) It has a VERY narrow wheelbase and hence you must keep a low, compact center of gravity or it will tip.

2) The Zuca was designed for skate gear maybe 40 pounds max. Although the top of the frame has an incredible load bearing of 300 pounds, this is for seating. The handle and wheels will not support much weight when rolling in transit. Especially the retractable handle which will flex if you tip and roll with too much weight.

3) There is almost no clearance at the bottom because of the tiny skate wheels. Even a small stone in your path will grind the rig to a halt. In version two I added the largest wheels that would fit the axles, 6" caster wheels with bearings which I found on Ebay. This raised the clearance and added some stability.

4) The bag that comes on the cart is not very well made, not like the production bags we are accustomed to.The first time I loaded up the side pockets they ripped and the zipper that holds the bag on the frame separated. The dealer replaced it, but now I am very careful how I use it.

Pics:

1) a pic to give you a sense of scale, the Zuca next to my vertical magliner.

2-3) detail of the first build

4-6) The second build. After installing the PSC RF Multi SMA I was able to relocate the Lectro SR Quadbox to a better location, using the Chinhda mast to remote the antennas. A great improvement over the handle placement which was just to get the antennas high. I also revamped the power supply. The original 35AH block was too heavy for the cart so I went with the Aspen bag and also installed a PSC cart power which I use in conjunction with the PSC Power Star mini. Much, much better.

7) Showing the back. I used a boompole cup and rubber holder and finally a Cardellini mini to brace the Vdb 9' pole to the side for mast elevation. You can also see the old and new wheels side by side. I need to get some bushings as right now I am just using washers as spacers between the old and new wheels and it's a little wobbly. Each wheel has its own short axle which also limits the weight bearing ability.

8-9) The mini follow cart. This is pretty handy and serves as a seat as well. Notice I installed some Chinhda hooks on the side and larger cables can be stacked around the handle resting on the seat.

The cart's a bit messy and I just threw on a 744 to give a sense of scale. When it's all tidy its pretty sweet. The Marshall monitor tips forward via the Manfrotto magic arm which allows the handle to retract down even lower for transit. Also all the shelves are attached by rotary knobs so everything will break down easily for air transit.

In summary, the Zuca is a fun, somewhat functional platform for those of us who can't start from scratch, but it does have limitations as noted. I hope this helps those of you considering using it.

Cheers,

Geoff

post-1887-0-78283100-1343067041.jpg

post-1887-0-31159100-1343067342.jpg

post-1887-0-38736600-1343068017.jpg

post-1887-0-07228200-1343068094.jpg

post-1887-0-47628400-1343068154.jpg

post-1887-0-98773700-1343068175.jpg

post-1887-0-20240300-1343068203.jpg

post-1887-0-07603100-1343068948.jpg

post-1887-0-93208800-1343068968.jpg

Thanks so much, Geoff (is that any way to spell a name) for posting your Zuca cart. As soon as Bash started posting his efforts I went searching for your stuff --- I remembered seeing thereally great pictures and descriptions you had done already. Your descriptions this time and words of caution are extremely valuable for anyone contemplating the task of building a "mini" cart of any sort using the Zuca as a basis for design and construction. My conclusion, this time around, is that there is very little left of the Zuca after you do all of the things you have done to make it feasible and functional. For me, think I will continue to use the Zuca for its intended purpose and not even make the attempt to turn it into something else.

I started with the Zuca frame because it looked cool. Much cooler than anything I could personally build.

So far so good. I'm in about 300 bucks and worse case scenario I put the original Zuca back together and sell it to some skater for $100 on Ebay. All the shelves are interchangeable with the Magliner and the other parts I had laying around. I've had a lot of fun putting it together and it's working great for the purpose that I intended. I love it, producers love it...and I can pick it up with one hand to put in the back of my Land Rover.

So yes, definitely worth it.

• 6 months later...

Geoff, thanks for the inspiration.  I've been doing a series of sit down interviews in different cities and wanted to have a small cart that could travel as checked luggage.  After seeing your work I went to the closest luggage store and picked up a Zuca.  Just to get started I added a shelf with a cable hook that I already had and strapped my "fishpole" tube to the handle for a small boom.  I used simple corner braces to attach the shelf to the frame and take it off to fit the whole thing in a large rolling duffel.  I might get a Pelican for better protection.  I love the skate wheels but felt kinda silly when someone pointed out that they light up when rolling. :)