TASCAM timecode problems, please help!

jacquesstar

Hi,

I was jam-synching timecode from the Canon C300 to my Denecke Smart Slate, and TASCAM HD-P2 recorder. I had my recorder set to 23.976, non drop frame, linear time code input, I double checked all the settings. However, when I was jammed, all I got was garbled numbers and three digits in the frame section of the timecode display. Has anyone else had this problem. Maybe this could be fixed with a lockit box to jam everything to instead?

I found the same problem on another forum

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/502518-tascam-hd-p2-23-976-timecode-issue.html

I got fired from this gig because of my problem, and lost 2 grand worth of pay. I feel horrible about it, and I don't want to lose any more work.

I had one of these years ago, so please excuse my lack of memory regarding the full menu, but as I recall there is a setting in the tc menu called freewheel that shows how many frames off the tc should get before it re-jams. If it is set to infinite, the p2 just jams once and then just keeps going. If you set it to 1 frame, it continually re-jams to the source when it gets off by 1 frame. I believe at 23.976 if it was set to infinite, the numbers after the decimal would just keep getting larger (3 digits and more). I should note that I always used an SB-3 with mine to keep it in sync. I was never successful just jamming and letting it run in the same way I do with my SD recorders.

Hi, and welcome

" Has anyone else had this problem... I found the same problem on another forum "

asked and answered.

" I don't want to lose any more work. "

know your tools, their capabilities and their limitations

workflow test

tech support is your friend

SMPTE TC is a major issue, and not quite "plug'n play", not nearly!

Life is a BITCH, and then you die.

know your tools, their capabilities and their limitations

workflow test

tech support is your friend

Truth.

Nothing beats knowing how to use your gear than by actually trying to use it in a test environment, where you can work out the kinks prior to having money and your reputation on the line.

Sorry you got hosed by this. The HDP2 should have taken the jam from the C300 ok, not sure what that issue was--possibly that the code was too hot or too low in level for the recorder, or your TC cable had a short. In any case, neither the C300 or the HDP2 is a device that will hold a jam for a long period of time. The C300 has been decent in this regard (for me), but HDP2 needs a stable external sync or TC source for this setup to work. I use an old Denecke SB2 to drive the HDP2 (set to clock itself from incoming TC) that I jam to cameras or etc--this would work much better for you.

phil p

Thanks for all the help guys. I called TASCAM tech support. They told me that the recorder is actually jam-synching fine, and the reason the numbers are garbled is because there is no 3-digit capability for display on frames. I checked it out for myself, dropped the audio into Final Cut, and the timecode was displaying 23.976 timecode perfectly. So, I basically panicked for no reason. Still, it's unsettling to see timecode all jacked up even if it works, but I am going to get over it and other than that, the P2 is a good recorder for the money.

When it's set up right and fed time code, the numbers aren't "jacked up." It displays them just the way it should.

I had everything set up correctly in the TASCAM menu and noticed this today when setting to 23.976, still some ghosting on the lcd screen, but numbers were readable. I was using the Denecke timecode generator app on my iphone, set up 23.976NDF and jammed my recorder to it using the exact same settings.

We are investigating the crazy frame number display with 23.976 rates, there will be a firmware update when we fix it.

Tom (TASCAM)

Tom, looking forward to the firmware update.