OK--I caved and bought a Transit Connect

It's true, after all my blather about how I didn't like the FTC I ended up buying one (used, XLT). Why? After an extremely frustrating 4+ month search for a replacement to my 1990 Dodge Caravan CV (which is slowly sinking in the West) I really could not find anything else that was small enough outside, big enough inside, was as secure as I was used to (re windows), had decent mileage and repair records and was relatively safe. You folks who already drive FTCs--you were right.

Now to the business at hand. What is up with those Tibbe keys? Are you guys keeping a non-remote version in your wallet or bag for when you lock your self out of the van while on a job? Have you gotten used to needing the key to open the fuel door and the hood? Have you found a cheaper source for fob/chip keys than Ford dealers (who generally seem not to know much about them)? Have you tried the key-cloning drill? The wheels really have 485 MHz transmitters in them re tire pressure?

What about partitions? I'm looking at a mesh screen behind the seats (not an Econoline style steel wall), and adding security screens to the rear windows. Any other advisable adds? So far I don't see the need for a ramp for my carts (not heavy enough).

phil p

Congrats Phil! I have my eye on a transit but have not made the change yet. I have a eurovan and it is a little too big and i'd want better mileage. And at 120k( still young- i know ) it has what i call "old VW disease". Lots of little weird issues that nobody knows how to deal with.

Let us know how your transit works out.

john

Congratulations on the new addition to the fleet!

How is the performance? I've heard different things from people, ranging from "it's OK" to "Zero-to-sixty measured with a sundial" so I'm genuinely curious. For a sound vehicle, I wouldn't expect bone crushing power... But I would like to know that it can get out of its own way if you put your foot into it.

As far as the windows, I had a thought about that, b/c I want to do something similar to both my current Jeep Liberty, and an FTC if / when I get one of those (It would also be an XLT with the seats and windows). Why not use some blackwrap in the inside of the windows, cut to fit? When you want a window again for hauling meat props (passengers) the foil can be easily removed, but while it is installed - Full security from eyeballs.

I'm so jealous! I want an FTC really badly, build it out as the ultimate sound vehicle, I have been without any suitable vehicle now for about 8 years. During that time I have been doing feature movies exclusively so I have always had a transportation department with real trucks to pick up my 3 carts and 70 or more cases of equipment. What I have not been able to do is take any of the commercial jobs I have been offered (I haven't been offered many I will say) or any other day playing. Since feature movie work is dwindling for me, I was hoping that if I got a little vehicle, downsized my equipment package to suit commercial work, I might be able to do some of that. I am now thinking that getting the vehicle would literally be putting the cart (truck) before the horse --- I might never get any commercial work!

Jeff--I can see 2 carts in the FTC (a la Jan) but I don't know about 3 back there--it seems like you wouldn't be able to get in there with them to "park" 3. For performance, early days for me. No, not fast off the line at all. One of the MANY vehicles I tested and measured and loaded my stuff into and photographed was a Focus station wagon. That, theoretically, is the same frame/engine/etc, but it was faster on take-off for sure--I guess the taller FTC just has that much more metal to move around. Fortunately for me I'm used to a wheezing 22 year old 4 cylinder van that is even slower on the onramp than the FTC.

But seriously folks....about these weird keys....what are you doing about them? So far I think the interior is too small for shelving--I'd rather have the raw space for cases and carts. Anyone come up with a good way to deal with fishpoles?

phil p

The wheels really have 485 MHz transmitters in them re tire pressure?

phil p

Yes.. starting with 2008 vehicles in CA. we are blessed with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) by law. Wonderful, a dashboard light comes on if under or overinflated. You will learn to hate, as they have a battery and usually not replaceable. So expect to purchase new TPMS in 4-5 years when the battery goes dead.....cost -$50 each! x 4 wheels.

Or you can do like I did and the rest of the country does in real winter climates that have 2 sets of wheels, snow tires and summer tires.....you put a piece of black gaffer tape over the light. Don't try and remove light.. it's all integrated.

I bought used second set of wheels and tires sans TPMS, and had to take them in to get rebalanced.... in the back of my 2010 Subaru. They asked if they were for this car. Told them they were for an older 2005 I had at home on blocks.. this is the only way they would service the wheels. Kalifornia is lookin' out for our safety!

Congratulations on the new addition to the fleet!

How is the performance? I've heard different things from people, ranging from "it's OK" to "Zero-to-sixty measured with a sundial" so I'm genuinely curious. For a sound vehicle, I wouldn't expect bone crushing power... But I would like to know that it can get out of its own way if you put your foot into it.

As far as the windows, I had a thought about that, b/c I want to do something similar to both my current Jeep Liberty, and an FTC if / when I get one of those (It would also be an XLT with the seats and windows). Why not use some blackwrap in the inside of the windows, cut to fit? When you want a window again for hauling meat props (passengers) the foil can be easily removed, but while it is installed - Full security from eyeballs.

My XLT is a "chicken tax" model that had its seats and side glass removed and pulped by Ford on import to the USA. I have rear glass and whatever other plastic gewgaws come with the XLT trim. I like not having side windows, blacked out or no--metal is tougher to break through than glass. For the rear glass (tinted) I'll get the mesh screens. Maybe in a perfect version I'd have no rear windows either and a rear security camera, but that wasn't what I found used. I actually think the stock FTC side mirrors are too small to not have a rear window....too big a blind spot.

phil p

Yes.. starting with 2008 vehicles in CA. we are blessed with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) by law. Wonderful, a dashboard light comes on if under or overinflated. You will learn to hate, as they have a battery and usually not replaceable. So expect to purchase new TPMS in 4-5 years when the battery goes dead.....cost -$50 each! x 4 wheels.

Or you can do like I did and the rest of the country does in real winter climates that have 2 sets of wheels, snow tires and summer tires.....you put a piece of black gaffer tape over the light. Don't try and remove light.. it's all integrated.

I bought used second set of wheels and tires sans TPMS, and had to take them in to get rebalanced.... in the back of my 2010 Subaru. They asked if they were for this car. Told them they were for an older 2005 I had at home on blocks.. this is the only way they would service the wheels. Kalifornia is lookin' out for our safety!

My service guy recommended filling the tires with nitrogen instead of regular air, and particularly not air from a non-maintained gas-station air-pump. He said the moisture in that air, trapped in the tire, will corrode the TPMs. This is what happens when you don't buy a new car for 20 years or so, you get nitro-filled wheels with wireless transmitters in them.....

phil p

I can't add anything about the keys you mention, but yes, always carry the spare in my shoulder bag with the hope that--like last time I was working 75 hour weeks for 7 months at a time--I won't at 4 a.m. lock the keys in the running car at and not have a spare handy.

After an hour waiting for AAA, I broke one of the windows in a fit-to-be-tied Fri-derday fit of insanity.

Didn't get remote keys for my FTC, they're all analog. PITA. Fine. :-p

The hand-over-the-key-ring routine at the gas station soon became second nature.

The tire pressure thing-a-ma-bobs came in handy early on when a neighbor's messy construction project gave me two small. slow leaks in a row. Was glad to have it blathering at me that something was wrong early on, or I would have been stranded in that far off location at the end of the day for hours rather than just a quick trip to the repair shop before work. Sad to hear they will one day prove another PITA.

As you know, I opted for the steel bulkhead. My carts are too heavy not to have some steel between me and them in a pinch was my thinking.

If your van doesn't have after-market thingees that turn some of the holes in the doors into spaces in which to store stuff, I'd suggest that as an option.

Extra tie-down spots. I'll be working on adding at least one at the rear passenger side.

Hope it proves an excellent tool for you, Mr. Perkins.

My service guy recommended filling the tires with nitrogen instead of regular air, and particularly not air from a non-maintained gas-station air-pump. He said the moisture in that air, trapped in the tire, will corrode the TPMs. This is what happens when you don't buy a new car for 20 years or so, you get nitro-filled wheels with wireless transmitters in them..... phil p

Wow.

Do you keep a nitrogen tank in your garage? Maybe Lectrosonics can teach Ford a thing or two about making a waterproof transmitter. :)

I can't add anything about the keys you mention, but yes, always carry the spare in my shoulder bag with the hope that--like last time I was working 75 hour weeks for 7 months at a time--I won't at 4 a.m. lock the keys in the running car at and not have a spare handy.

After an hour waiting for AAA, I broke one of the windows in a fit-to-be-tied Fri-derday fit of insanity.

Didn't get remote keys for my FTC, they're all analog. PITA. Fine. :-p

The hand-over-the-key-ring routine at the gas station soon became second nature.

The tire pressure thing-a-ma-bobs came in handy early on when a neighbor's messy construction project gave me two small. slow leaks in a row. Was glad to have it blathering at me that something was wrong early on, or I would have been stranded in that far off location at the end of the day for hours rather than just a quick trip to the repair shop before work. Sad to hear they will one day prove another PITA.

As you know, I opted for the steel bulkhead. My carts are too heavy not to have some steel between me and them in a pinch was my thinking.

If your van doesn't have after-market thingees that turn some of the holes in the doors into spaces in which to store stuff, I'd suggest that as an option.

Extra tie-down spots. I'll be working on adding at least one at the rear passenger side.

Hope it proves an excellent tool for you, Mr. Perkins.

Well, that key thing is the nightmare, so I think I'm about to buy a whole lot of non-remote copies and hide them everywhere--I know the absent-minded lockout moment is coming. I found this place in Canada that claims to be able to make the keys, a bit cheaper than Ford dealers (my dealer has to order them from Ford): http://www.keysfast.info/

I totally get the steel-behind-the head thing w/ big carts in the back. I'm not using very heavy carts much these days, and plan to lash a built Magliner to the cargo side of the partition as extra armor against the rest of the contents getting airborne and coming at me in a front-impact accident.

Otherwise...for a guy used to driving a really old car.....what are these things called "airbags"?

phil p

Filling the tires with nitrogen is now pretty standard. Costco, many dealers, some of the national tire centers and many local service facilities now offer nitrogen. And my local Dodge dealer and Costco store both provide free tire pressure checks as selling points.

Now to the important stuff: what color?

Best regards,

Jim

Filling the tires with nitrogen is now pretty standard. Costco, many dealers, some of the national tire centers and many local service facilities now offer nitrogen. And my local Dodge dealer and Costco store both provide free tire pressure checks as selling points.

Now to the important stuff: what color?

Best regards,

Jim

White....for now....(I think they look better in a color).

phil p

Glad everyone is happy with their purchase.... to each their own.... best to forget the windows.... for a few reasons...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small for me personally..... and for the saving of only about 4 MPG over my FULL size Chevy Express Cargo van with the Duramax 6.6 diesel (22mpg. hwy), I will not be making the switch anytime soon....

Safety, performance / Power, room, not being a Ford, longitivity, ride quality, robust build quality and the ability to tow... use for camping, moving equip. or furniture.... on and on... I would stick with that 6.6 diesel any day of the week.... unless of course you park in a living room....

If you get rear-ended in that vehicle, the screen behind your back is the least of your problems...

As for TPMS.... That is a GREAT thing to have on ANY vehicle.... Saved my life once on my Sport touring motorcycle, and possibly on my Van.... do not put tape over them, do not under estimate their value.... unless you check your tire pressure every time you drive, they can save your life.... if they go bad, change them... seriously, we spend how much on all the crap we buy for work but scoff at a safety item... not too smart if you ask me...

Driving down the HOT Hwy., you never checked your tire, it had a slow leak, down 20 lbs of pressure... it drove, you were in a hurry and didn't really notice, it blows, you shoot off the road and roll.... NOW you wish you replaced them and not used black tape.... $200.00...? really?

For those who own one, best of luck with it... and enjoy.... a new work vehicle is GREAT!! no matter which one... ::)

I hear all those criticisms, and made them all myself. Supposedly next year Fiat will start importing a version of the Doblo to compete with the FTC, which would be a good thing--there is much that could be improved in the FTC. But for someone in the used car price range the FTC was the only thing I found that was even close to what I needed, and my old van will not wait for 2013. Wish me luck!

phil p