Smart view duo power

Wandering Ear

I just bought a black magic smart view duo monitor and am wanting to run it off of batteries when not plugged in. What I don't know is what voltage range it will opperate safely at. The input says 12 volts (no range listed). I called black magic technical support today and he told me all the info he had would be read off of the wall wart, which obviously I can read myself. I'm worried I'll damage it if I run it off of a battery system with a voltage above 12 volts.

I may end up with a dedicated 12 volt lead acid battery just for the monitors, but that seems excessive. I would rather run it off an np1.

anyone have experience with this?

Dear Wandering,

The Blackmagic web site lists an operational voltage range for the Smartview Duo:

"Operational Voltage Range12V - 15V"

A little homework goes a long ways.

Thanks. I read the manual, which is where I expected that information to be listed, and I called tech support who couldn't answer the question either, so I did do a bit of homework. I must've missed that page.

Cheers

• 9 years later...

Spent a good amount of time and effort, but gave up on finding the specs.  

Instead, I ended up buying the lowest priced replacement wall adapter I could find on eBay - snipped the cable at the wall wart end and soldered a 4-pin XLR connector on and it’s powered happily from MeonLiFE. 

Just search for “AC Adapter For Blackmagic Design SmartView Duo” . Should be some between $12-18 range.

Call me crazy, but it works. 

53 minutes ago, JonG said:

I’m pretty sure it’s just a standard 2.1mm barrel plug, just like on a 411.  I used to have these and powered it from my power distro. 

I will give that a spin and see if it fires up.  Thanks for the tip.

Hmm, bad news.  Just tried to plug in a right angled BDS cable I use for my 411a and it's slightly too long and too wide / won't go into the back of the power connector of the monitors.

Update: Figured, hey why not email Black Magic themselves and see if they respond?  I'll keep everyone posted if they do.

You know what, I think I remember now that I bought the connector at LSC and soldered it to a BDS cable (Dave was aware of the size being different and they kept them in stock), and you’re right it is slightly different. I didn’t use those monitors for very long, they were too fragile and cr*pped out on me within a year, then BM took several months to replace them under warranty, and I decided that they weren’t worth doing business with, and went with Marshalls, which have yet to fail, eight years later. 

I figured there must have been a reason I made my own cable. My network switch actually work with the same connectors as Lectro, so I know I would have definitely tried the same with the monitor. 

@JonG About them being fragile; I have had mine for about 8 years, but felt they would be probably be easy to break since the BNC connectors look as if they are soldered straight into the board, so the first thing I did when I got them was to mount them in a rack, with permanently installed coax going to the back of the rack. This way all connecting/disconnecting only happens at the patch bay, never at the monitor itself. Never had a problem.... 

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Figured, hey why not email Black Magic themselves and see if they respond?  I'll keep everyone posted if they do.

Don't hold your breath LOL. But hey, please keep us posted if they do reply!

I have just received the official word from Black Magic themselves:

2.5/5.5mm center positive

The Marshalls are definitely probably better but I've had these things since maybe 2014?  2015?  I've lost track and so far so good.

• 5 weeks later...