Best Job Ever!

This is similar to my idea to make a reality show about reality show crews. Ha. It's the final frontier!

The show host on my show I worked on the last six months had this exact idea; Production Nightmares

And then Long before that, Richard Ragon, I think, posted a silly video called The really really real show, which was funny as hell. :)

That IS actually a good idea. I'd watch it.

The show host on my show I worked on the last six months had this exact idea; Production Nightmares.

Now that's a reality show I would watch.

This is frighteningly similar to the real-life show Project Greenlight from about 10 years ago, where they would award a recent college graduate the right to direct a film. The one I saw showed two directors on a project that was completely chaotic and awful, unable to make fast decisions, ignoring the advice of seasoned crew members.

it seems like every crew i've worked on has had some sort of discussion about a reality show of a reality show but everyone is afraid of being black listed...

but done right, it could be a hit.

Same here. I think this is something the public would love as well. For example, how many times have you been on set when throngs of people gather and watch what you're doing? People love production, and when they don't know about it, they are very intrigued about what we do. If they're willing to watch us rehearse for takes on the side of hot summer roads, they'd probably get a real kick out of seeing what it is we do in detail... and what we go through to get it done.

Hey, what if you hired an actor to pretend to be an out-of-control director, and then he went and hired a full (low-paid) crew on Craigslist, and threw fits and tantrums every five minutes on the set, and you had a "documentary crew" shooting the behind-the-scenes footage of the whole ugly mess? It'd be horribly cruel, but also entertaining on some disturbing level.

Same here. I think this is something the public would love as well. For example, how many times have you been on set when throngs of people gather and watch what you're doing? People love production, and when they don't know about it, they are very intrigued about what we do. If they're willing to watch us rehearse for takes on the side of hot summer roads, they'd probably get a real kick out of seeing what it is we do in detail... and what we go through to get it done.

There's your elevator pitch, "It's a reality show about reality shows". Sounds like a million dollar idea.

Some of the surprise hit reality shows kind of delve into that. I am going to guess the network would love an extra episode, so they do a sit-down with the cast and also do a little of "what it was like to create the show". These days there is more of that stuff being shot with the intention of web content. I worked on a show last year, and it was part of the deal from the network that the production company had to produce a certain number of behind the scene things for the web. Each one was just a few minutes, and I could see how those could be reworked into something for broadcast (with additional content). Fortunately for me, out of all the segments I was only filmed for maybe 30 seconds. They were focused on the producer almost hosting a "what we do", and being a tiny crew the camera op and sound guy (me) had to shoot most of it. It was shot with the same cameras, and sound gear as the rest of the show. I think a few things were shot while the A camera was in the field by the sorta B-cam guy/AP/AC/everything else guy (there was no B-sound). It was weird.

Hey, what if you hired an actor to pretend to be an out-of-control director, and then he went and hired a full (low-paid) crew on Craigslist, and threw fits and tantrums every five minutes on the set, and you had a "documentary crew" shooting the behind-the-scenes footage of the whole ugly mess? It'd be horribly cruel, but also entertaining on some disturbing level.

And don't forget to get the "director" to loudly direct the talent into the manufactured conflict that seems to drive that horseshit....

Let the public actually see the sausage being made - thus showing how little "reality" is part of the formula being served up.....

MF