Zaxcom wireless "and NOMAD" changed my life over night

RadoStefanov

A lot of you may know I am not a religions fan boy of any companies :Sound Devices, Lectro, Zaxcom.

I am also not a personal friend with Glenn, Larry or Jon,

I have had some reasons to be critical and have never been afraid to let my critique out in to the open for everybody to see.

So I would like to share my PERSONAL experiences with zaxcom wireless:

Two weeks ago I incorporated 2 TRX900LAs and 1 QRX100 in the show I am working on. It is a car show with a lot of driving scenes and a heavy schedule. I was hesitant to purchase and to be honest kind of afraid of Zaxcom Wireless reliability, but my daily workflow with Lectrosonics was just not cutting it anymore.

In many of the driving scenes the "muscle" car we follow will just "fly away" while our mini van is left in the smoke from the tires.

I was leaving my Audio Bag in the car when possible.

I was using Coax antennas on the SMQVs with Shark fins on the 411As but so many times the drop outs were just physically unavoidable.

A lot of times I am not allowed to use tape or touch anything on the cars which limited my TX antenna placement.

It was especially hard when the driving performed or the space limitation would force me to use wireless from the muscle car to the follow vehicle. Having GOPROS in the car makes it very important to capture sound from reaction and dialog the entire time.

On another note:

With such a heavy schedule the biggest waist of time was OTFs,Vos and pickups. I was running back and forward to do OTFs while scenes are being prepared.

So one night I sat down with a bottle of scotch and really started thinking that I am not doing my best. No tool in my disposal could really help me and improve my work. That got me thinking about Zaxcom....

Next morning I pulled the trigger.

Almost 2 weeks later I got my first ZAX wireless.

On my only day off I performed various tests including the most important one: reliable use in hot weather. And I mean Las Vegas HOT!!! After this record braking hot summer I bet most of you have experienced REAL HOT WEATHER all over the country.

After the test, I felt confidant putting the Zax to real work. Having the recording inside the TX was my back up plan in case problems started to happen.

Well I have had ZERO problems for the past 2 weeks. From the very first minute the world around me was different. Overnight everything changed.

Work was more fun.

Productivity increased immensely .

And people involved really notice and value my impact on the project.

I already ordered another set this time with one of the stereo TX.

Why did I come to the party so late?

TO BE CONTINUED.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on a very similar show, Rado. So, I know how you feel! Driving shots with sports cars, motorcycles, custom classics, and about every other type of car possible. The ONLY way we have been able to capture dialogue has been because of the Zaxcom 900LT and LTH transmitters.

Like you said, bouncing from OTF's to scene work and lord knows what else is all possible. Not to mention, I do notice a higher sound quality. I'm about to order another couple transmitters and a dual receiver.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Saved me too. I was on a fairly standard shooting style show, but one day we went to a race track with our subject. She jumped into a modified dirt track car and was going to rip around the track. She had never been in one of the cars, so there was a lot of potential for chaos, or even just stall outs. These cars race of wet clay/dirt, so it's easy to spin out or slide if you are inexperienced. As most of you know, a race car can be even worse than a civilian car with the ignition, or whatever it is that causes RF madness.

The actual driving was just engine noise, but the last minute tips from actual race car drivers, and the end when she was done with the engine cut (and far away from us) were captured on the Zaxcom while she was out of range (far side of the track). I listened to the tracks at wrap... perfect! There was no room in the race car to drop my bag (let alone what could have happened to it), so this was a win.

I love my Lectros, but I also love some features of the Zaxcom wireless. In a perfect world I would have both and be prepared for whatever the situation calls for (internal recording, waterproof, super long battery life, whatever).

Rado, or anyone, are you mixing Zaxcom and Lectro? I have before and didn't notice an issue, but some people said there is a teeny tiny delay that is noticeable when mixing the two together.

Rado, or anyone, are you mixing Zaxcom and Lectro? I have before and didn't notice an issue, but some people said there is a teeny tiny delay that is noticeable when mixing the two together.

Both the Zaxcom Digital wireless and the Lectrosonic Hybrids have a delay (latency from digital processing) but I'm not sure it is the same delay between the two. Either way, it has never seemed to be a problem for those who do mix both. I personally have had little experience using two different types of wireless transmitters (Zaxcom and Audio, Ltd., or Audio, Ltd. and Lectro, etc.) in the same scene but I would be reluctant to do that in a dramatic scripted scene (but not for the reasons of latency). The wireless within a product range from the same manufacturer and utilizing essentially the same technology, will sound very much the same. The differences between, for example, a Zaxcom wireless and any of the Lectros, is pretty extreme, so this is what would keep me with one brand or the other. That said, in a "reality" type situation with lots and lots of wireless working (where a credible "mix" is not very likely on the day) I don't think it would ever be an issue.

Why did I come to the party so late?

Welcome my friend. They are some awesome tools.

Zaxcom system delay is 3.6 ms

Lectro is 3.0 ms

I think Jeff's point is most relavent though.

I'm not convinced they play well together in a bag in terms of RF performance, but there are many other factors that probably greater influence the range you are getting in any location.

Greg

My TRX900LA's saved my butt several times on the feature I'm on. Yesterday was a driving scene in which I couldn't be in the vehicle. I just turned the LA's on and let the car drive away. It sure was nice not having to drive around town in the picture car.

Several other times I was experiencing drop outs on my QRX100. The talent was only 30 feet away but was walking around a building. It was very difficult getting a clean signal but I wasn't too worried because I knew the transmitter was recording anyways.

Right at this moment I'm at a race track with a drift car whipping around a 2 mile course. Three 900LT transmitters on cast and one 900LTH sitting inside the car with the lav run out the window and down by the screeching tire for the effects. Only possible with the recording and timecode functions on the Zaxcom system!

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Matthew,My show is very similar. We had the highway patrol close a freeway for 2 hours a few times already so the stars can drive the hell out of a Bullitt mustang and other amazing muscle cars. No other gear will allow me to capture sound and the kind of driving performed would not allow me to leave my bag in  the trunk or cabin.I mix lectro and zaxcom in the bag "till my other zaxcom gear is built" and have not noticed any major delays or RF issues. I usually have  my lectro talent and hops on and coordinated , then I scan my zaxcom. The auto freq finder have never gave me any problems.

Right at this moment I'm at a race track with a drift car whipping around a 2 mile course. Three 900LT transmitters on cast and one 900LTH sitting inside the car with the lav run out the window and down by the screeching tire for the effects. Only possible with the recording and timecode functions on the Zaxcom system!Production Sound Mixing for Television, Films, and Commercials.www.matthewfreed.com
Sent from my LEO using Board Express

I remember seeing Zaxcom at an AES years ago and was immediately intrigued by the onboard recording capability along what was coming in the future. I swore then that if I was ever able to upgrade my wireless kit(Vegas), I would be going with Zaxcom.

Some years went by and I was able to get my first Zax gear, TRX900AA/STA100/RX900S/IFB100 mainly to use as a camera hop and return. Even though the setup I was using at the time required me to use a separate amp for return, I was glad I was ready for the future.

I had lusted after the Deva and then Fusion for the longest time but there was no way the powers that be were going to drop $8K plus for either... was considering SD744 or 788T. Then along came the Nomad which tied everything together... it was like the stars aligning. From there what to buy was easy, a pair of TRX900AA and a QRX100Q. The features and sound quality always confirm my choice.

Next items in my plan for world domination are a few ERX1TCD's... >:D

Just an aside, I assume this is the same Zaxcom that built the time base corrector unit in our old TV production system...

That said, in a "reality" type situation with lots and lots of wireless working (where a credible "mix" is not very likely on the day) I don't think it would ever be an issue.

However, a credible mix is expected on the day in a "reality" type situation more often than not.

Well, I think it is just an interpretation of the word "credible." I do know that many of you are expected to accomplish the impossible on many of these shows. All I was trying to say is that the little nuances, the differences in how each microphone sounds when I am trying to mix on a scripted movie, are not the main concerns of someone trying to mix 10 wireless mics in a bag feeding a video camera's tracks via a camera hop. The differences between a Zaxcom and a Lectro will be the least of your worries when trying to mix all that down to one or two tracks.

Yep one in the same - Glenn created the TBC.

http://www.zaxcom.com/about-us

Time base correctors were available before 1986. Consolidated Video Systems, IVC-Quantel, Ampex and CBS Labs among others all had TBCs of varying complexity in the mid '70s if not before.

At the 1972 NAB show, Ampex introduced the 7900, IVC introduced the 960 and Television Microtime introduced the Delta-44.

Best regards,

Jim

Rado, using the QRX dual-mode, 2 Tx per QRX, how has the range been in comparison to your Lectrosonics? That has been my biggest concern.

Line of site the same as my Lectros. But the Zaxcom keeps consistent audio quality while in range while the Lectro sound quality craps out when the reception is getting lower. .

No concerns. Get yourself the qrx100. Worst comes to worst you can pull the clean audio from the TX

However, a credible mix is expected on the day in a "reality" type situation more often than not.

I am not wasting a valuable camera audio channel for a mix.

With 4-5 people screaming over each other I get as much ISO as I can. If somebody wants a mix track he can use an IFB or get my mix channel later.

I love the ability to monitor gain settings and remotely adjust as needed. I don't think I'd ever buy another wireless system that didn't provide this feature, as it is so useful for adapting to constantly changing situations. I'm having a problem with range, but that is probably due to Sanken sending me 4 mics all wired incorrectly. I'm just waiting for a quiet time to be able to send them back for rewiring, which I'd rather do than try to do it myself, as long as Sanken is willing to do it as a warranty repair.

I love the ability to monitor gain settings and remotely adjust as needed. I don't think I'd ever buy another wireless system that didn't provide this feature, as it is so useful for adapting to constantly changing situations. I'm having a problem with range, but that is probably due to Sanken sending me 4 mics all wired incorrectly. I'm just waiting for a quiet time to be able to send them back for rewiring, which I'd rather do than try to do it myself, as long as Sanken is willing to do it as a warranty repair.

How can the wiring effect range?

Today we were chasing a speed boat on the lake with 4 talent inside. I was getting drop outs but the director was able to listen and understand the dialog just fine. Before with Lectro, drop outs would have been trouble. Now I am confident and can relay on the internal TX recorder.

Later on we were chasing a hot rod puling the boat that suddenly turn right and parked. The follow car could not take the turn so we kept going stright. We had to make a UTURN after half a mile. When we went back the director asked me if I heard certain lines that he was feeding the talent trough the Two way radio and If we need to reshoot. I told him that I can pull the lines from the recorder so we can just wrap and go home. Everybody was extremely happy. After 10 hours in 110F on a lake everybody was drained.When I told them that we have no need to re shoot I made them very happy.