printer help please

berniebeaudry

I'm wirelessly running a Brother MFC-J435 all in one printer on my iMac (OS 10.5.8). I can print just fine, but I can't access any of the other functions on my computer (scanning, fax etc) because the Control Center (interface between the printer and the computer) won't load up. It's been this way since I got it. Just haven't needed the other functions till now.

I reloaded the included software and got the latest firmware installed as well. I click on the Control Center icon and it just sits there. Tried all the other ways of opening as well. All the other included software opens just fine.

Any thoughts?

Bernie

try running it cabled. i have a hl-2280 and sometimes it will scan wirelessly and sometimes it won't.

You can scan wirelessly via OSX Image Capture but I have never been able to get control center to work correctly. I can print and scan just fine just not via the brother program

The majority of the software provided by any and all of the printer manufacturers rarely works properly on the Mac. I have always taken these software utilities and made sure that they will not be called up when trying to print, scan, fax, whatever, with HP, Brother, Canon printers. Some of the companies have gotten it right some of the time but I just don't bother with it anymore. All current versions of the Mac OS have hundreds of compatible drivers built in as well as two "utility" type programs (Preview and Image Capture) that can usually accomplish most all of the functions of the multifunction printers.

Thanks guys,

My old HP scanner software interface worked just fine. Just weird that just Control Center won't load at all. Makes me wonder if its something with my iMac. I'll try Preview and /or Image Capture and see what goes. I've also contacted the manufacturer and will see what they have to say.

Best,

Bernie

Can't get Image Capture to work either. It says no device connected and when I browse for the device the TWAIN UI window comes up and I select the correct device. The scan window comes up, but when I tell it to scan nothing happens. I did get a scan done by using the front panel buttons on the printer, but its limited in options that way. Somethings goofy with the device computer interface for sure.

BB