Mongolia-Ulaan Bataar,shooting a Feature film, 6 weeks,any suggestions

soundwiz

Hi All

I am being sounded for a low budget feature shoot in Mongolia, Ulaan Bataar, for 6 weeks ,shoots is on Alexxa,in September,international crew

never been there before and no information much on the country or filming there on the net

has anyone been there before on shoots or travel,any thing worth sharing or narrating

any advice for shooting there will be welcome

I will be carrying gear

what lectro blocs work there?

thanks in advance

Hari

Hi Hari!

I worked on a documentary in Mongolia a few years ago during the winter. You'll be glad you're going in September!

It's a tough place to be a vegetarian. Mongolians believe that vegetables are like grass, and only animals eat grass. We ate a lot of horse. Delicious!

I used block 21, but we mostly shot outside of the city. I can't recall, but you might want to check whether your wirelesses should appear on any equipment manifests. The government might restrict wireless communications devices.

I would bring plenty of backup equipment, there weren't a lot of places to find electronics supplies.

The people were wonderful to us. It's an amazing country!

Dave Wendlinger

Sounds like an experience...

How big of a crew is it? What's the budget range? This information might give other folks here a better idea as to what might be in store for you.

I'd imagine RFI would be the least of your worries in Mongolia, but having never been there, I'd only be guessing. I'll also guess that power might be a concern... I'd find out what will be available and what possible restrictions you might run into regarding the transporting of items like batteries.

Of course insurance riders for you and your gear will be paramount, as will all the other official documents (carnet, etc.) that will better insure you and your gear get home in one piece.

In any case, enjoy it! Take lots of pictures : )

~tt

Its been awhile since I was there, and maybe things have changed. Charging bats was the #1 issue for me, AC was inconsistent when available. I was there in the late winter/early spring, cold as hell in march, windy and dusty in April, very fine reddish dust that drove the camera crew mad. The entire time I was in China and Mongolia I drank nothing but tea and beer, it worked out ok.