sticky material from 3M

Phil Palmer

I don't know the name of that product but I have been using this resin bonding tape for my lavaliers for many years with great success.

http://scapana.thomasnet.com/item/all-categories/industrial/0485?&seo=110

I use it in conjunction with 3mm neoprene foam.

I'm using DPA 4071s.

Make a loop at the base of the capsule and enclose it in a sandwich of a small square of neoprene held closed with the resin tape. Add the fleece windshield to the capsule and attach some more tape to the exterior of the neoprene on one side only and secure to the inside of clothing.There is a rough side and smooth side to the neoprene.Use the rough side on the inside of the sandwich so the smooth side can move freely.

This is my main rig for very fast attachment.It is impervious under clothing to most wind situations that you are likely to encounter.

Don't try and remove the resin tape after each use but just add another layer on top.

With each layer going on,so you get better isolation.

The tape is very thin so when it does get a bit too thick make a new rig from scratch.

Brian

I'm still using a tape product called Hypafix.  It's designed for medical use - to tape IV lines in place.  It is designed to be put on skin, and holds really well.  It's also very porous (sp?) and I can put it right over the mic head with no degradation in sound (I've used it with both B6's and COS-11's).  It also works really well when you need to tack down the cable on the actor's skin - it is much more comfortable for them and I get fewer complaints.  It runs about $11 for a 60 foot roll.

Phil

I'm still using a tape product called Hypafix.  It's designed for medical use - to tape IV lines in place.  It is designed to be put on skin, and holds really well.  It's also very porous (sp?) and I can put it right over the mic head with no degradation in sound (I've used it with both B6's and COS-11's).  It also works really well when you need to tack down the cable on the actor's skin - it is much more comfortable for them and I get fewer complaints.  It runs about $11 for a 60 foot roll.

Phil

This sounds very similar to the 3M Transpore tape.  I wonder if it's the same stuff from a different manufacturer?

I just talked to my sister (a nurse) and she said no, that transpore is not the same as hypafix.  Hypafix is a fabric-based adhesive and transpore is a plastic tape.  While both have similar properties, she said that hypafix is the tape they use on things that are 'life and death' like IV lines, etc.

Phil