Regarding the "Want To Buy - Want To Sell" section

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, "fieldmixer", I agree that this is a great place to buy and sell, that's why we keep that section going. Not broken, just suffering the occasional injury, and it looks like we're all able to deal with that. For now, I will stick with the guidelines I have put up that displays when you first go to the section. I feel pretty good about our decisions, we'll see how it goes.

Hey, Jeff, the only thing I would add to the "Buy & Sell" thing is a disclaimer where remind people, "Members of this forum buy and sell items at their own risk. We suggest using PayPal or a similar payment method to protect people on both sides of the transaction."

Something like that. I agree that providing the buyer with a real name, phone number, serial numbers, and all that stuff is perfectly reasonable. I always try to go a step further and give people at least a week's guarantee that the item is in good working condition and as described, but it's been very rare that that's ever happened -- twice, I think, in two years, once with a laptop, and once with an FM tuner, both sold on eBay. The first had a dodgy DVD-ROM drive (they all were), and I suspect the second got damaged in shipping. Crap happens, and my experience is that generally, people are reasonable and understanding.

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't benefited from the buy/sell forum, as I get a feel for what's good gear, what's a good deal and what's a waste of money.

The side conversations (or straight up flame war) are often amusing, sometimes enlightening, and then there's what's been happening recently. I apologize for whatever my part is of causing this conversation to happen.

So, while I think that moderation would likely help, and perhaps having a minimum number of posts to your name, I get the feeling that it really imposes on Jeff more than anyone else, and that hardly seems fair.

Still, I'm totally for keeping the buy/sell forum going, and I'll limit my interactions there to only the threads that I am interested in buying and/or selling.

I have purchased two or three items from the WTB/WTS section over the last year and it has been a truly convenient way for me to get some really great gear. If I were to sell something, however, even if I posted pictures and serial numbers, how would my real name be of any use to anyone? You could look me up on IMDB and verify that the name I give is that of someone who does production sound, but outside of that, how do you know I am who I say I am?

The shenanigans horseshit going on in just one of many thus afflicted at the moment, are currently keeping me from listing items I'd like to sell.

How about we all just ignore items we don't want to buy? Editorializing about the benefits of a different item, explaining how something is overpriced, what's wrong with the item, seller, condition, terms or location of the item or phase of the moon at the item's current location should probably be avoided. Nobody shopping for gear will find them helpful in the slightest.

Best regards,

Jim

PS: I've edited the above because I'm currently pretty worn out after surgery last week to correct an injury that got started on location. I've been making goofy typos and I'm up waaaaayyyy past my nap time. Remember to lift with your legs, boys and girls.

Edited by Jim Gilchrist

" It's just irritating "

I, too, do not believe it is broken, or in need of much, if any, fixing...

sure some folks have their ideal of how it should work, but even the fascination with serial numbers really has very limited real value, if any, beyond psychological..

I particularly do like the idea of making the privilege of using the swap section something that must be earned by a combination of donation, longevity, and participation.

much beyond that seems to me to be more cosmetic than actually valuable...

and, as so many folks keep pointing out, jwsoundgroup.net is a discussion group, so I also think having the listings be discussed goes with the territory here...

PS: I've edited the above because I'm currently pretty worn out after surgery last week to correct an injury that got started on location. I've been making goofy typos and I'm up waaaaayyyy past my nap time. Remember to lift with your legs, boys and girls.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, Jim, and hope you can stay optimistic (as I am trying to) regarding the rather unfortunate turn the whole COMMERCE section has taken on JWSOUND. I think things will get better... that's my hope.

I also have never faced any issues in this section. I never sold anything but I certainly bought several items from different members and it has always went smooth.

I think the ideas mentioned above are all great but also I believe that by adding number of posts next to the names it would be of great help. I have seenit in other forums so I think it shouldn't be that complicated to add it.

And yes common sense is key....!

Thanks Jeff for your time and initiative to make and improve this fantastic forum/community...

Jeff, I wonder how you can do all this admin job alone ! Maybe you should ask a few people to help you to moderate the forum... And for the scammers : we are all ready to stop them when we find some weird gear to sell.

Anyway I think there are many good ideas in this thread to protect us, and JWsound, from scammers.

Photos

SS#'s

Accurate item description

That should really be all that's needed. Any competent buyer armed with those facts, can enter into a negotiation. I also don't see the need for real names in a sales post. Post counts can be effective in protecting unsophisticated buyers, but I'd hope we don't have any of those here. Also, since I haven't been able to log in with Facebook, I had to make a new account. This would preclude me from taking part, even though I have been a member for several months (and a member of 695 for over 20 years).

Replies should be limited to questions about the availability, quality and capability of the item. Posts which cast doubt about the seller's policies, pricing and/or honesty should be deleted.

To make this section the best it can be, you really do need a moderator just for that section. I can think of several members who would qualify. Moderation would only entail making sure the orginal post followed the proper format, and that replies were relevant to the item for sale.

All of that said, if you (and the membership) are satisfied with how it is now, then just leave it. Sometimes, the drama threads are fun.

Funny, I think my first post on this site was a WTB a 442 or 552 right after I joined. I immediately was questioned by several long time members. They jumped all over me because there had recently been some questionably activity and here I was "new member" with a handle, totally fitting the profile of a scammer. I did some homework, identified myself, posted on Who I Am Today, and bought my mixer shortly thereafter.

I think the system as is really does work, a lot of people are paying attention. Ultimately, though, I think it is up to the buyer to be careful and check the seller out. Photo's, serial #'s, the poster's history and PayPal should all be part of the buyer's due diligence.

How about we all just ignore items we don't want to buy?

This is my new policy, actually. If I don't have something to say that directly relates to either being a prospective buyer or the seller of something on the board, I just keep a warm mug of STFU in hand, mark threads as read and go back to the other forums.

Gotta say, I worry a whole lot less about it now.

Used items should never be bought or sold by anyone under any circumstances. Regardless of price or condition. Once the equipment has outlived it's usefulness to it's original owner, it should be immediately be discarded and a new, shiny, factory sealed product purchased at full price from a professional reseller. Just thinking out loud...

Used items should never be bought or sold by anyone under any circumstances. Regardless of price or condition. Once the equipment has outlived it's usefulness to it's original owner, it should be immediately be discarded and a new, shiny, factory sealed product purchased at full price from a professional reseller. Just thinking out loud...

No agenda in that thought process, of course ;)

+1

LarryF

+1

LarryF

And all you kids get the the hell off Steve and Larry's lawns.