Canon C300 Audio

Yes, the C300 is so tiny, it's hard to find enough space to mount anything on it. I kind of wish they'd make some kind of cage around it, which some DPs are using with the Red Epic and Scarlet.

The upcoming C500 -- the 4K version -- is the same size. Hey, at least it has easy-to-get-to audio and TC input jacks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done 6x 30 minutes on c300. All the operators used some form of grips/rails by red rock micro or zaccuto...and then they put a v lock battery on the back end as a counter balance. we just tapped the lockits and my lectro sr receiver to the battery or the rails.

Be aware they have a high pitched whine sometimes too....nice pics tho

Just did car commercial with 5!! c300s. usually 2 in play at a time, sometimes 3. there were 2 soundies with recorders (Nomad and my 744T). timecode and audio was sent to 2 cameras via Zaxcom ERX units (there were always 2 other cams being rigged in different cars). mostly car-to-car shooting with no room in vehicles for sound of course. DP would not allow any plants in car"I can see the mic!" and didn't want to use lockits ("don't need 'em!"), Director explicitly banned use of slates of any kind. yippee!! other soundie Marc had to quickly switch ERXs on the 2 cameras to be used at any time, which was rarely obvious. 3 long days of this. god help post.

DP would not allow any plants in car"I can see the mic!" and didn't want to use lockits ("don't need 'em!"), Director explicitly banned use of slates of any kind.

You think this is hostile to sound -- it's even more hostile to post! It's incredible how people will avoid five minutes of trouble on a set, incurring hours and hours of additional time, expense, and confusion in post. If the director understood how difficult it is to deal with non-matching code and no slates, he or she would never do it. I see a lot of this from people who've graduated from film school in the last 5 years, because this is all they know.

If they banned plant mikes in the car due to visibility concerns, where did they hide the lights inside the car? ???

There might not have been any lights in or on the car--part of the "authentic" aesthetic (ie "we shot this on our phone").

On these kinds of shoots with these sorts of people I just ask what they want to do and do that. A "no-plants" DP and a "no-slates" director are probably very suspicious of sound people, maybe from bad previous experience. A word with the production mgr or producer innocently asking how they plan to sync the sound (or hear the actors) under the circumstances might reveal that they had worked this way before and were happy with the outcome, OR they hadn't thought through all the ramifications. No point in getting into it over these things w/ the director and DP.

phil p

" where did they hide the lights inside the car? "

lights?? what lights...

this wanna' be is not a real DP, as is sadly too often the case; director, too.

" A "no-plants" DP and a "no-slates" director are probably ... "

don't know what they are doing... they haven't got a clue

" On these kinds of shoots with these sorts of people I just ask what they want to do and do that.... "

...and cash the check promptly! 8)

There might not have been any lights in or on the car--part of the "authentic" aesthetic (ie "we shot this on our phone").

Doh! Dogma people shooting car interiors... great.

A word with the production mgr or producer innocently asking how they plan to sync the sound (or hear the actors) under the circumstances might reveal that they had worked this way before and were happy with the outcome, OR they hadn't thought through all the ramifications.

I try to clear this stuff up prior to production, either with a meeting or phone call. "Hey, I just caught this issue in that second scene, and here was my suggestion..." A few times, I've brought along a timecode slate and been told, "oh, we never shoot with timecode slates." One of the B-camera operators was the editor, and he seemed perfectly content to just do it all manually (or with Plural Eyes), so I put the slate back in the case.

Some months later, we used a different camera for a change, and I had occasion to jam the camera to an SB-T. I got a call from the editor later and he was floored by how fast and simple syncing was. I think the light went on for him there.

Hey, they pay a decent rate and were nice people, so I shrugged and moved on. Some of them do learn eventually.

No, there were a shitload of lights in the cars. mostly led panels. the DOP was not a newbie, and neither was the director. this was a big agency for one of the top three automakers. in two previous shoots for the same campaign they had used the same MO (minus the ERXs). they were well aware of the post issues as they had experienced synching problems in the 2 previous shoots. go figure. Of course I mentioned the potential issues to the powers that be. we did our best. having said all this everything, sounded fine at my end and I'm sure it will all work out. could have been a lot simpler, but...

If you can't vent on JWsound, the terrorists have won.

Chris Newton

Hey guys, just for people who have maybe shot TC with this camera before, as I don't have one I front of me at the moment to play with it, post is asking that shooters have their settings at 1080/30p. I've read many things on timecode and it still is able to co fuse me thoroughly. :) That being said, I'm wondering if tte C300 is capable of shooting 30p or is it something else like 29.97. I know things like this have been discussed many times, but every time I think I'm getting it, I learn something new. According to the manual, there is only 29.97p or 23.98p. I'm guessing those are ND frame. Thoughts?

30P sounds goofy to me. 29.97 can work fine. The camera can run non-drop or drop-frame timecode, customer's choice. I don't see a point to shooting in Drop unless it's going directly to air, like a TV news show (and even then, it's not really necessary).

C300 manual is at this link. It's a real dinky little camera, but the pictures are OK. The chart doesn't indicate that the camera can do 30P:

CanonC300specs.jpg

29.97P will yield approximately the same effect.

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like a spec sheet that didn't get changed when the production company went from shooting on Varicam and/or P2 cameras. Panasonic is fond of calling "23.98" twenty four or 24P except when they mean 29.97 and "29.97" thirty or 30P. They also call "59.94" sixty in many of their manuals. You have to look carefully for footnotes on Panasonic frame rate charts.

And the C300 means 24 frames when they say 24P. I learned this thanks to the nation's laziest camera assistant and caught the error on the next C300 gig (due to confusion on the AC on that job's part, not ennui ).

Best regards,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Used the C300 over the last few days and will be using it quite a bit with one of the companies I work with.

I jammed TC to my Nomad and it was fine but I believe there was some drift with battery changes. The next day was a lock off and I was next to cam so I hardwired TC. I hardwired sound to cam too and the return sounded pretty much identical to Nomad so I'm pretty sure they'll end up using that as the final track.

The menu settings are weird. I had read up on that before dealing with it...but their ch1 or ch1/ch2 settings convention does not inspire confidence!

When I come across this, and I hear it has taken over from the EX3 in London, I will stick a radio mic sending time code on it and use the auto record on code function of the 552.

From what I gather in this thread that should work fine albeit not providing sample accurate sync...?

Cheers

I've done this and it works fine, although ask the operator to let you know when they're doing playback- otherwise the 552 goes into record (I don't think there's a way of turning off TC out on playback).